Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always wondered. Shift at redline (14k)? Or shift around 13k so it brings the RPMs back into my peak HP? My peak HP is best between 11k and 13k (12k is the PEAK) with my peak torque at 10k.

------------------
Dan...Comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

G

·
Ok iowazx6r,
I will have to say since you are whippin some mustang ass, then I would shift at 14K.
This should get you higher up in the...(can I say power band ??) Lets call it power curve ??

------------------
Watch out where those Huskies go , Don't you eat that yellow snow ....

Adam

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
tachs can lie, you have to find the place to shift by feel and sound. i usually keep my 400 at 11,000 and up on the stock tach. it's just where it makes power.

the gsxr is my squidly street bike and therefore i keep the rpms much lower and unless i'm riding with fast friends. i rarely spin it above 10 (though it also reds at 14).

i usually just find a gear and try to use cornerspeed to catch guys who are running down straights like bats out of hell. you'd be amazed at how slow many people are through turns (and i'm anything but fast myself).

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy

G

·
That depends on how long you want your bike to last ? Try 6K :D :D

------------------
If somebody sounds as though they might know more than you, talk more and louder.

Adam

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heck, most of the time I'm an easy rider and shift at 6k (before HP is even an issue), but whenever a 5.0 Mustang comes by they just try to mess with me. Got to show those boys up.
Besides, I went to the drag strip earlier this year and pulled a 12.3 at 118 mph. I would have done better, but I can't launch. I either pulled a wheelie or spun :) all the way through 1st gear every time I ran (I'm sure at least once I did both). Maybe this year again or next spring I'll run it again.

------------------

[This message has been edited by iowazx6r (edited September 20, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by iowazx6r:
I either pulled a wheelie or spung all the way through 1st gear every time I ran (I'm sure at least once I did both)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spung? I never heard it called that before...hmmm :D :D And to do it while wheelying in first gear is a REAL feat. Bow to the spunging master...HAHAHA :D

------------------
~Nick
2000 CBR600F4 -
Lost to the Blacktop God. 4,699 miles in under 3 mos. $8,300 worth of damage to my one and only baby. On the brighter side: Can you say 929rr???

[This message has been edited by CBR Brutha (edited September 19, 2000).]

·
Registered
987 Posts
Not much point revving past peak. And don't forget, somewhat lower than peak HP is peak torque. You'll find the range between the two to be quite useful, Dan. Tony, I kind of do like you. I practice smooth cornering and hard braking, and it's amazing how many people you
can beat like that, without going to 150 on the straights, and I guarantee you I'm not the best rider out there. If your goal is to keep up with someone on a street situation, money is much better spent on class time, and gaining a knowledge of, and upgrading suspension & braking components is far more valuable than just trying to make your bike put out more power.

------------------

·
Registered
468 Posts
Well, where you shift depends on what kind of riding you are doing, and what kind of bike you are riding. For 90% of street riding, I never have to go much past 8k rpm on my 929, and usually play between 4k and 7k rpm, usually selecting a higher gear at 7k rpm, but sometimes at 6k if I am taking it really easy. On a track, or when I am hitting the twisties really hard, I play between 8k and 11k rpm, and usually shift a little after 10.5k rpm (peak power is at 10.5k or so). On a 600, I would add 3k rpm, or so, to all those numbers.

------------------
Rossco.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leon90zx11:
Tony, I kind of do like you.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

:DDAMN People!!! We're gonna have to start calling this GAYsportbikeworld.com. Pete and RCJohn should be banned for starting this "coming out" stuff! :D

------------------
~Nick
2000 CBR600F4 -
Lost to the Blacktop God. 4,699 miles in under 3 mos. $8,300 worth of damage to my one and only baby. On the brighter side: Can you say 929rr???

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CBR Brutha:
:DDAMN People!!! We're gonna have to start calling this GAYsportbikeworld.com. Pete and RCJohn should be banned for starting this "coming out" stuff! :D

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We didn't start it... we just nurtured it. :D :p

If I remember correctly, the RC 51 owners manual says that I should be in 6th gear at 35mph. Just for the heck of it, I tried it. The bike will not run at that speed in that gear. To think, I trusted the Owner's Manual. :rolleyes: :D

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RCjohn:
If I remember correctly, the RC 51 owners manual says that I should be in 6th gear at 35mph. Just for the heck of it, I tried it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That explains a lot!

------------------
Heeeere piggy piggy...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leon90zx11:
Not much point revving past peak. And don't forget, somewhat lower than peak HP is peak torque. You'll find the range between the two to be quite useful, Dan. Tony, I kind of do like you. I practice smooth cornering and hard braking, and it's amazing how many people you
can beat like that, without going to 150 on the straights, and I guarantee you I'm not the best rider out there. If your goal is to keep up with someone on a street situation, money is much better spent on class time, and gaining a knowledge of, and upgrading suspension & braking components is far more valuable than just trying to make your bike put out more power.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's mainly street light to street light. Curves? What's a curve? This is Iowa. The only turns we have are called "intersections". :(

------------------

·
Registered
987 Posts
Tony, as much as it's going to crush you, I have to be honest. I'm straight (though not narrow), and I'm going to have to watch how I phrase things with this crew of scurrilous scalawags here! Perhaps I should have said "My strategy is similar to yours"!!
Dan, wish we could send you a mountain road!

------------------

G

·
<snip>I'm going to have to watch how I phrase things with this crew of scurrilous scalawags here! Perhaps I should have said "My strategy is similar to yours"!! <snip>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Leon, you need to stop referring to your buddies as "partners", as you did in one of your other posts. :D If you don't call them "podnahs", I think you know how we, the "scurrilous scalawags", might misinterpret it. :D

------------------
Pete
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."

·
Registered
440 Posts
I cannot believe how silly this thread has gotten. We all must be crazy 'round here. To top it off, very few people have attempted to answer the question, and what answers were given are misleading.

Any squid knows that the proper shifting technique is to run your engine all the way to the rev limiter*, back off about 1/8 turn of throttle, then shift into the next higher gear and yank the throttle open. Used often, this method is guaranteed to keep your tranmission in perfect shape, because you'll have to replace it every few months.

*If you own an old bike without a rev limiter, no problem! Just shift about 500-700 RPM past redline. Everyone knows tachs read slow, so shifting at the marked redline will waste horsepower that could be used shearing teeth off your gears.

------------------
"I was born yesterday, but I was up late last night."
Gary P. Nunn

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by photobug:
I cannot believe how silly this thread has gotten. We all must be crazy 'round here. To top it off, very few people have attempted to answer the question, and what answers were given are misleading.

Any squid knows that the proper shifting technique is to run your engine all the way to the rev limiter*, back off about 1/8 turn of throttle, then shift into the next higher gear and yank the throttle open. Used often, this method is guaranteed to keep your tranmission in perfect shape, because you'll have to replace it every few months.

*If you own an old bike without a rev limiter, no problem! Just shift about 500-700 RPM past redline. Everyone knows tachs read slow, so shifting at the marked redline will waste horsepower that could be used shearing teeth off your gears.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LMAO! :D

I think Gary forgot a few of these. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Although that is a pretty good way to run a race bike. ;)

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts