Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody gotten their bike insured through Progressive for a reasonable rate?? I just purchased a '00 CBR929 and was going to get it fully insured with Progressive with whom I currently have two autos. Get this, their rate for one year of coverage was..........$10,000.00!!!! Granted, I do have 6 points, but still!! The bike only cost $8500! Anyway, I checked with State Farm, and if I move a car over to them, I can get the bike insured for $800/yr although at a slightly higher rate for my car. Is this the general policy towards bikes at Progressive, or is this just some incredibly weird processing glitch? My rep couldn't believe this either, her opinion is that they just don't want to insure sportbikes. Any other experiences like this out there??

·
Founder
4,761 Posts
A few months ago Progressive approched me about advertising on Sportbike World. But after their rates for Sportbikes were brought to my attention I told them no. They are very high on all sportbikes. I REFUSE to let Sportbike World have anything to do with Progressive.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think they just quoted you wrong I've got my 2001 suzuki bandit 1200 insured thru progressive and its just $400 a year for full coverage granted its not a full on sportbike but geez $10,000 I can't believe that!

·
Founder
4,761 Posts
bandit1 said:
I think they just quoted you wrong I've got my 2001 suzuki bandit 1200 insured thru progressive and its just $400 a year for full coverage granted its not a full on sportbike but geez $10,000 I can't believe that!
A Bandit is not considered a Sportbike by Progressive. It's considered a "Sport Tourer" with most insurance companies.

(But I consider it a Sportbike!) :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Robert said:

A Bandit is not considered a Sportbike by Progressive. It's considered a "Sport Tourer" with most insurance companies.

(But I consider it a Sportbike!) :)
true they go by the letters. they realy don't like the letter "R". that alone usualy doubles the quote.

10,000 sound's like a typo or an agent defect.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
FrankieG said:
...My rep couldn't believe this either, her opinion is that they just don't want to insure sportbikes.
How perceptive!

·
Founder
4,761 Posts
wicked f3 said:
10,000 sound's like a typo or an agent defect.
Actually $10,000 sounds about right for a Sportbike policy coming from progressive. I checked there for my 98ZX9R and was told $11,500 a year (And this is when I had no tickets for over 10 years, and 33 years old).

Progressive is just out to try make sure they don't insure any sportbikes.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Robert said:
Progressive is just out to try make sure they don't insure any sportbikes.
You hit the nail on the head Robert. Its their 'polite' way of saying we dont want to insure you. I have never seen a good rate from Progressive.

Just for reference, I pay $192/ 6mo. for full coverage on my VFR. No tickets or accidents.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
The $10,000 number is loosely based on the MSRP of the 929. Progressive wants anyone with any hits on their record to pay for the bike to them in one year since most high performance sportbikes get crashed in the first 6 months of ownership. I'm not sure if most get crashed in the first 6 months or not but I'm pretty damn sure that most of them don't get totalled in the first year.

Not to piss anyone off, but I got quoted $600 per year for the RC-51 by Progressive. I have a clean record and that was with a $250 deductible. They still can't touch Allstate's rates of $157.10 per year for full coverage and $100 deductible. Just got the bill. This is year two and the rate actually went down. I love insurance bills that make me laugh. :D

Oops, I messed up. The boss informed me that the $157.10 is the 6 month rate. It still makes me laugh. :D

·
Founder
4,761 Posts
RCjohn said:
Not to piss anyone off, but I got quoted $600 per year for the RC-51 by Progressive. I have a clean record and that was with a $250 deductible. They still can't touch Allstate's rates of $157.10 per year for full coverage and $100 deductible. Just got the bill. This is year two and the rate actually went down. I love insurance bills that make me laugh. :D
The only reason your rates are so low is because you get the "Senior Citizens" discount. ;)

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i've seen a lot of people say that progressive wanted damn near msrp for sportbikes.

they don't seem to be cheap on harleys either. my friend was with progressive with his sportster. he was yound and assumed it'd be expensive. he went with some easy rider insurance thing and cut his rate by more than half.

i wouldn't insure my socks through progressive. i have state farm. allstate is supposed to be good, but my folks had a problem with them a few years back with insuring a jet boat. i really just don't trust them with performance stuff.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Robert said:

The only reason your rates are so low is because you get the "Senior Citizens" discount. ;)
Alright dammit, you aren't that much younger than me. You will get the same discount in a couple of years Son. :D:p

Oh, I forgot to add that Allstate will not let me actually start the bike. I'm only allowed to sit on it an go vroom vroom. Hmmm, Pete who do you insure the Super Hawk with? :rolleyes::p

·
Registered
328 Posts
Have you guys ever played around with Progressive's online quote service?

It's very interesting how much rates can change, based on how you modify your input. For example, I used the quote service to see how much it would cost me to insure a brand new 929.

Well, it was rejected, because they knew I would never buy a Honda, so I tried again, using a 2000 ZX9R:

I filled out the form as I normally would, but wrote it up as though this were my first bike insured, with no other vehicles insured with them.

My first quote was for full coverage, $100 deductibles, and the bike not garaged or locked:

$2782 per year

Then, I went back and plugged in $250 deductibles:

$2354

Next, I put that the bike would be "garaged, or chained to a permanent structure". Big difference!

$1505

Then I changed the deductible to $500...

$1327

And finally, $1000 deductibles for Comp. and Collision:

$1178

A far cry from the $11,000 premiums you guys are talking about! I don't know how on earth you could possibly be quoted that high from Progressive.

Also, if your bike is paid off, you can drop the Collision coverage (and pay for your own crash damage), and that's $706 of that $1178.

I would recommend going to www.progressive.com and trying it out for yourselves. Play around with the numbers and see what you can come up with.

All I can say is, I'm satisfied with my Progressive rates on my bikes. They're a fraction of what Farmer's was charging me. I never checked with Allstate when I was shopping insurance, but I've asked my friends, and none of them use Allstate, so if their rates were worth a damn around here, someone would have discovered it by now...

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'm into Progressive for $500 a year for full coverage with $500 deductible. That is just about half what both State Farm (w/ whom I have my cars & house insured) and Allstate. I'm 28, married, rather suave and debonair, and have one ticket in the past three years. Maybe they just like me.:D

·
Registered
741 Posts
I also have Progressive full coverage for my Ninja ZX-6R.. I pay $924.00 a year. Maybe I got lucky!! That is with a safe driving record with no points or tickets...

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
i HAVE THEM

I have Progressive on my VFR. I pay about $1,000 a year full coverage. A guy I ran into (not literally) waas telling me that he pays 44 a month full coverage on his R6. I might go with them when my insurance is up in August. I will give Progressive this much though, when a Skapnut knocked over my Dual Sport, they were there within 3 hours to look at the damage.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Re: i HAVE THEM

Jester said:
I have Progressive on my VFR. I pay about $1,000 a year full coverage. A guy I ran into (not literally) waas telling me that he pays 44 a month full coverage on his R6. I might go with them when my insurance is up in August. I will give Progressive this much though, when a Skapnut knocked over my Dual Sport, they were there within 3 hours to look at the damage.

Jester, how old are you and what is your record like? I pay less than $200 per 6 months for full coverage and $100 deductible on my VFR. Why dont you call Allstate next renewal time, it cant hurt... BTW, when I totalled my F4 after only being with them for 2 months, they were GREAT and paid completely.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I got a quote from Progressive for my R6 a while back. they quoted $14,000 for it. The R6 is not even classed as a sportbike (at least according to Allstate). The R comes before the 6, I like that. Most titles end with the letter "R", this classes it as a sport.

I pay a total of $700 a year for both of my bikes from Allstate.

Progressive is crap according to me. I'm only 22 and unmarried. This maybe an advantage to some of you that are 25 or older and are married.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I tried Progressives online quote and got 3 different quotes for the same info on 3 different days. Ranged from $1700/yr to $3500/yr on my 97 YZF750. 31yrs old and no tickets in 4 yrs. 2 tickets EVER even.

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Re: Re: i HAVE THEM

HondaNut! said:

Jester, how old are you and what is your record like? I pay less than $200 per 6 months for full coverage and $100 deductible on my VFR. Why dont you call Allstate next renewal time, it cant hurt... BTW, when I totalled my F4 after only being with them for 2 months, they were GREAT and paid completely.
HondaNut!, I am 23. No accidents or tickets. I am going to call this week and get a quote from Allstate.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts