Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
twice now my bike has cranked over long enough to run the battery dead without starting. but then many times I can still just tap the starter and it fires right up. what could cause this? it doesn't seem to matter if it is cold or being started for the first time that day...I can find no type of pattern to link the couple of times that it hasn't started together. thanks

------------------
97 FZR 600
D&D Carbon Fiber Pipe

1990 5.0 Mustang

·
Registered
987 Posts
How old is your battery & plugs, Heth? When you installed the D&D, did you rejet? Is it hardest to start in the morning, or when it is hot? When you crank it and it doesn't start, do you smell gas? Do you open the throttle at all when cranking? Do you always buy gas at the same place?

------------------

·
Registered
623 Posts
I had problems like that with my bike a month or so back. One morning it just WOULDN'T start. The starter would turn it over and over. Nothing. Push starting yielded no results. I did get several VERY loud backfires though.
I replaced the sparkies and it's been running like new again. The problem was caused by plug fouling - too much round town riding :(.
Hope this helps!

------------------
Dave
CBR600F3

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay, as far as I know, everything is still the original plugs and stuff. it has 5200 miles on it now. I am not sure when I am supposed to be doing some of the routine maintenance on it, as I am still waiting for the service manual on it, which is on backorder. I always use gas from the same station. I think the battery is fine, as it will crank over fine, but just won't fire up. It will start if I roll start it. I do give it just a bit of throttle trying to start it usually and have not noticed the smell of gas when it doesn't start. It fires up fine once it is warm. although some mornings when it is cooler it will start fine, the next morning it may be the same temp or even slightly warmer and it won't start. the d&d was on it when I bought it, so I am not sure if it was jetted. the dealer I bought it from races bikes and said it was tuned well and wouldn't worry about jetting (should I believe him?). It has run for a little over 2000 miles since I have had it though without a problem. Hope I have given all the info you need. I thought maybe the valves need adjusted..I am not sure what the recommended interval is, but maybe I am jumping in to deep and need to look at some simpler stuff first. thanks!

------------------
97 FZR 600
D&D Carbon Fiber Pipe

1990 5.0 Mustang

·
Registered
987 Posts
Heth, if it will start when you push it, it is certainly your battery. Even though your battery still has enough life to turn the engine over, it doesn't have enough to also power the ignition fully. A new one will solve your problem. As you noted, problems are usually something simple. Enjoy!

------------------

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a Y2K ZX6R and I have problems starting it too. I haven't even broken it in yet. It starts up fine when i give it a little throttle but is that normal? I expected a new bike to come to life just by pressing the start button without giving throttle, or is this kind of stuff normal (that is giving it throttle to start a new bike)?

------------------

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I am going to pull the battery today and have it tested. I will let you know if that was the problem.

------------------
97 FZR 600
D&D Carbon Fiber Pipe

1990 5.0 Mustang

·
Registered
79 Posts
hey sixxer i got a YamahaR6 and It doesnt start to good either. My previous bikes, 95F3 and 91Katana all started easy. especially if it was warm. The R6 just doesnt seem to want to start up first time you crank it with choke. Im wondering if all the performance they put into the bikes is finnaly catching up to them and making the machines hard to start. well im going in for first maintenance and will ask about this trouble starting. I'll get back to you.

------------------
Keep Your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked!

·
Registered
13 Posts
TheToy:

Yeah, definitely let me know what the dealer says about the problem. I'm not quite due for my service yet, but when I do, I'll bring up my problem with them.

I saw your other post, and that sounds exactly like what's happening with me. I'll wait to here from you.

peace out

------------------

·
Registered
13 Posts
TheToy:

Yeah, definitely let me know what the dealer says about the problem. I'm not quite due for my service yet, but when I do, I'll bring up my problem with them.

I saw your other post, and that sounds exactly like what's happening with me. I'll wait to here from you.

peace out

------------------

·
Registered
66 Posts
In reply to Toy's Post on his R6,
I have an R1 an before this an YZF600R. Both did not start as well as I would expect. I found the YZF600R, while using the choke when the outside temps were warm, would crank for 3-4 seconds then fire off. I felt this wasn't too bad since it built oil pressure before initial start-up. On the other hand, when it was cooler outside it fired right up.
The R1, I have had since May and it refuses to start using the choke. I just push the starter button and it fires, then quickly twist the throttle a little to keep it running, otherwise it quits. Maybe when it's cooler outside it'll start using the choke.
I sync'd the carbs on the R1 and it does a little better. Maybe it's like you said, "all the performance they put into the bikes is finnaly catching up to them and making the machines hard to start"!
Maybe when you take it in they'll sync the carbs and adjust the choke for you.
Later,
Marty

------------------
Marty

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to let you know, I got a new battery and I think it cured my problem. Thanks for the help!!

------------------
97 FZR 600
D&D Carbon Fiber Pipe

1990 5.0 Mustang

1 - 13 of 13 Posts