Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am having a problem with my 1994 Katana 750. It idles up to 5500 rpms after I have been riding for a while, or on very hot days. The problem isnt nearly as bad after a cold start, or on cooler days. A friend said it has something to do with the carborator, but this being my first bike I don't really know. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Its definetly your carb. First step. Take off the air filter and spray some carb cleaner. Maybe something is just sticking.
If thats not it, go after your idle adjust screw.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I have let a friend play with the idle adjust screw and throttle cable, however after he redlined it, made flames come out the muffler, and had oil or some other fluid spewing out of a tube at the bottom of the bike, I decided I would just take my bike home with me :). Any other suggestions? I am planing to bring it to a dealship sometime to get a tune up and an inspection but I am curious what I should tell them to do about the idling problem.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
You could have a leaking intake manifold boot. If you have access to an acetylene torch you can turn on the gas, unlit, and pass it in the vicinity of the boots. If a change occurs, you've found at least one problem.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
When you take it in, be sure to explain any patterns you've noted. For instance, does the high idle come and go?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well a guy I work with is gonna rebuild the carborator for me, hopefully that will fix the problem so i can ride more! My road test is on September 8th.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts