Sportbike World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm obviously a newbie to riding, and motorcycles in general, so please forgive the idiotic question. I inherited a '95 Suzuki RF600R, with no owner's manual. Well yesterday I was taking my first lesson, (given by friend), and we ran out of gas. There is no place on the bike that says what octane it requires. Can someone help a total idiot?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
866 Posts
this is a huge debate that you really don't want to starte, heres the jist of what I've gotten from reading, motorcycles have high compression so its best to use atleast middle grade, if your bike starts pinging, which it may bepending on the temperature and altitude, then switch up to premium gas, I always use premium just because I believe its a cleaner gas, and I only use amacco or chevron. you may want to wait for a few more posts before making a decision.

·
Registered
866 Posts
this is a huge debate that you really don't want to start, heres the jist of what I've gotten from reading, motorcycles have high compression so its best to use atleast middle grade, if your bike starts pinging, which it may bepending on the temperature and altitude, then switch up to premium gas, I always use premium just because I believe its a cleaner gas, and I only use amacco or chevron. you may want to wait for a few more posts before making a decision.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Gas

I would use nothing lower than 89 octane. Technically you can check for pinging and all that but here is the kicker. The bike should run fine on regular unleaded as opposed to super unleaded. The price is what most people look at. From dry, it should only cost somewhere near $8 to fill up the gas tank on super as opposed to $7 for regular unleaded. Might as well kick down for the "better" stuff. Couldn't hurt and definetely shouldn't break the bank.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Call suzuki, run what the OEM recommends. Unless the bike is modified or pings for some reason, higher octane gas than what is recommended is a waste of money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts