Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the heck is "squid"? I have never heard that term before.

P

·
0 Posts
Someone who *thinks* his abilities exceed those of every motorcycle out there. Someone who has no care for the welfare of himself, others, or the sport, as evidenced by his lack of proper riding gear and careless riding. Someone who belongs on a Nighthawk 250, but rides a GSXR1000, and loves to tell you how much better he is than you and his bike than yours.

Some people say the origin of the term squid comes from "squirrely kid."

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ok man, thanks for clarifying that term. :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
ME TOO!!!

:)I'm one of those nice squids that only makes himself look bad:D:);):p

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Squid

Ok the real definition of "squid" comes from the actual animal. The animal swims in a style in which they shoot off fast in a straight line, then almost come to a complete stop to turn.
This swimming style has been used to describe riders that will blast off in a stright line then slow way down when the corner comes up.

The term has been expanded to difine riders that fit the description off what Pete mentioned.

So there it is.... SQUID, SQUIDLY, SQUID MARKS :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is it Squirrley Kid, or the Animal Squid!?!

Ok I've heard this question asked/answered multiple times now....

Answer 1) Squirrley Kid: Origin - A magazine article in the 60s or 70s that used this term.
Answer 2) Squid: Origin - The actual animal, used to describe a SPECIFIC driving style of someone who can shift and twist, but not lean.

WHICH IS IT? Not that it matters really... but this keeps coming up. Anyone with original references?

As an aside, here are some more meanings of SQUID:

SQUID : Standard Quick-release Universal Interface Device
SQUID : Superconducting Quantum Interference Device

Confused yet? LOL

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
smitty ZX-9R said:
What the heck is "squid"? I have never heard that term before.
I can't define it but... I know it when I see it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Re: Is it Squirrley Kid, or the Animal Squid!?!

asmith said:

As an aside, here are some more meanings of SQUID:

SQUID : Standard Quick-release Universal Interface Device
SQUID : Superconducting Quantum Interference Device

Confused yet? LOL
Don't forget those Navy boys! I know a few, I'll stick with the animal reference for them and riding! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Squids/poseurs suck!

Some have confused the term poseur with the term squid. VYPER is right.
Squids can go very fast in a straight line and then when there is the smallest curve in the road they loose their spine (like a squid) and do everything but put the kick stand down and park the bike. Very dangerous to all other riders... even other squids.

Poseurs ride only to be seen on a sportbike. Burnouts, wheelies and general hooliganism is the mark of a poseur. It's usually a person with VERY low self esteem who needs the attention to attempt to bolster their dying ego. These people will end up in the hospital/morgue/therapy and I (call me cold), for one don't care in the least.
The less of them on the roads (squids and poseurs) the better the people who actually ride motorcycles will look. It might even drop my insurance rates.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts