Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find where would be cheaper for me to take the MSF course, but non of the websites for the Comunity colleges around here have the info. I can take it in raleigh, greenville, or wilmington, North Carolina.

So how much did it cost for you guys, i am really just looking for a ballpark figure for now. thanks

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I don't really see how this will help you, because it varies a lot from state to state.. but in New Jersey there are quite a few different classes and the price ranges from about $175 to $250.

·
Registered
2 Posts
eclipse13, I just took it in Raleigh this past weekend. You really need to call around. I took it at Wake Technical Community College on 401 south of the Raleigh beltline. Tuition is $120. It's worth it. The current wait list is about 3 months. Good luck. If you need any more info e-mail at [email protected]

·
Registered
10 Posts
In WA state, there are two options. Either take the full cost course, which varies slightly, ($225 in King County, $250 in Pierce, etc...), or get in one of the state subsidized courses, typically $100.
The problem with the cheap courses are that they are usually full months ahead of time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I took the Basic Rider Course in Spring Branch (Houston area), TX for $165. Lady said they were having a "special" and that normally it costs $185. I signed up the on Tuesday and took the class that weekend...Couldn't imagine having to wait months

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
Wow...Michigan $25, they have little POS bikes but they do the trick.

Good luck! Glad to see that you are going to take the course. It can only help you!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Here in New jersey if you can get into the MSF couse sponsered by the state there's no charge at all. Most people don't want to wait for any length time, so they end up paying the $175 to $200 to private sponsered groups which in turn is more readily available.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
sixer said:
which in turn is more readily available.
Not really.

Not unless you sign up months in advance, or go ahead of time to each class and hope someone doesn't show up so you can take their place.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Sorry, should have made myself clear. There are more private sponsered vendors offering the course than the state offers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I took my MSF course from Awesome Cycles here in Houston,Tx

it was 180 bucks but it was worth it, the teachers were great and all the bikes were well kept and working.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I only know of one private venue course offered in Tacoma, WA area, by Destination Harley, the local HD store.
I don't know if they're actually an accredited course, though.
From what they said, it's the same course, and instructors, but doesn't qualify because they use larger displacement bikes for training on.

When I found out about it, they were saying that they don't like dumping someone who's learned on a 250cc on a harley. So they teach with a bunch of Buell blast 500cc's instead.

·
Registered
66 Posts
yeah PA has them for free to PA license holders, out of staters will still pay. also, i know that in MD you have to pass a "written" test to get your permit, here in PA you slap down some money, and poof you have a M/C permit. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts