Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
where can someone learn to paint, how to set up a paint booth, minimum hardware to do a good job once in awhile (ie, not a big pro set up).

I'm uh, down to a single body panel (out of 8!!!) that is in new condition and looking to freshen up the ol' girl in the near future.

Gonna have to learn to paint my future race bikes too!!

Thanks

PS- looks very cool, nice job.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
apexismaximus said:
where can someone learn to paint, how to set up a paint booth, minimum hardware to do a good job once in awhile (ie, not a big pro set up).

I'm uh, down to a single body panel (out of 8!!!) that is in new condition and looking to freshen up the ol' girl in the near future.

Gonna have to learn to paint my future race bikes too!!

Thanks

PS- looks very cool, nice job.
Here's a good place to start for technique: http://members.tripod.com/~bobstory/faq.html

I learned most of the basics working in a body shop and metal finishing shop when I was 16-18.

Really, for race bikes the "80" rule applies: only has to look good at 80 yards and 80 mph. Krylon is the way to go.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Tristan said:

Really, for race bikes the "80" rule applies: only has to look good at 80 yards and 80 mph. Krylon is the way to go.
When I worked Sprint Cars we used all special paint. Whatever the hardware store had on special... that's what we used.:) They looked O.K. following the 80 rule but when fresh would even stand up to a "10" scrutiny.

There's too much to proper painting than can be covered here, but "how to" books are available and should be used. Biggest thing is prep and patience. Used to be good tools and guns were very expensive but some very adequate guns are available now for under $50. and so with a lot of the sanders, driers and other equipment. If you have a burning desire to do it or the regular need, it can be worth it, otherwise find a body man. Good luck.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts