Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was able to do some today, it was about 74 outside so I could control my wheelies. When it's cool out the bike feels like it has twice the pwr and i cant control it. Anyways. Any tips on steering while up. I tried leaning when I was already going off course to no avail. I made fun of someone before when they said you have turn turn the wheel, but do you??? Sorry, I know this is played out.:crying:

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any one else have that problem with cold weather. I also can't do them at night, I can't judge how high Im up. But during the day, it's on like a MF:D

·
Registered
137 Posts
shannon said:
Was able to do some today, it was about 74 outside so I could control my wheelies. When it's cool out the bike feels like it has twice the pwr and i cant control it. Anyways. Any tips on steering while up. I tried leaning when I was already going off course to no avail. I made fun of someone before when they said you have turn turn the wheel, but do you??? Sorry, I know this is played out.:crying:
if you take a bicycle wheel off the bike, sit on a bar stool,or anything that spins freely.
give the wheel a good spin and hold it at the axle,you will spin in one direction or another depending on how you hold the wheel,;)
this will give you a idea how turning the bars will turn your wheelie--I've seen people pull the front brake stopping the wheel and losing all control
the gyro action of the spining front wheel has a lot of power:D

·
Registered
364 Posts
It was me you made fun of ,remember?hehe.have not had problem with bike leaning left or right.took her to75mph in first and set it down.takes getting used to poping them at nite for me also.sorry I cant help in the steering dept.

·
Registered
85 Posts
carbs?

shannon said:
Any one else have that problem with cold weather. I also can't do them at night, I can't judge how high Im up. But during the day, it's on like a MF:D
I had same problem, where the colder and the denser the air was, the more power the bike seemed to make. Some mechanic told me on my older bike with carbs, that it was setup wrong, and was running lean. I had a pipe without re-jetting the carbs. If your 2001 Kwak is fuel injected, I guess this does not apply to you -Iam not a mechanic. Maybe someone can confirm this.

·
Registered
171 Posts
it's not uncommon for bikes to pick up a couple extra ponies in the cold. You figure colder denser air=more oxygen in a tighter package. So you'll definatly notice a change specially if you bike was already running rich, then you'll have the extra oxygen to mix with the extra fuel. THe down side is the loss of traction as it gets colder. My 2000 F4 would pull massive power wheelies on cold days, was like riding a different bike.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
KLRAdam said:
Did you do them in front of your neighbor?

Uh no, I do them on the expressway. My street is a block long

·
Registered
208 Posts
shannon said:

Uh no, I do them on the expressway. My street is a block long
Try to go through two cars. I think a little challenge will put the edge on things and make you better faster.

·
Registered
83 Posts
man if you have a ZX-9 with a sprocket conversion, wheelies should be no problem warm or cold...
now controlling them just takes practice, just get used to holding the throttle steady while on the balance point..
balance point??? you ask???
when the bike hits that point where it feels almost weightless, youre close, thats where you will need a steady throttle hand, the thing about bikes these days is that they are so powerful, they give you a false sense of a balance point, you think youre there when in fact, its the bikes power keeping it up..if you can see over your winsheild, then chances are youre probably not on the balance point..
keep practicing and keep a foot on the brake, just in case...

as far as steering is concerned, unless youre shifting through the gears on the back tire, you probably dont need to steer yet, when you do, a slight lean with your body will change the direction of the bike..usually putting pressure on a butt cheek will put enough pressure on the bike to do it..turning the handlebars will not actually change your direction, but it does help you lean sometimes... and yes its easier to keep the front end up when the front tire is spinning..but not necessary

one of the best sounds in the world is when you wheelie so far that the front tire slows down, so when you land, it actually screeches like a planes landing gear...sometimes even leaves black marks....hehe

awwww yea

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
devils playmate said:
man if you have a ZX-9 with a sprocket conversion, wheelies should be no problem warm or cold...
now controlling them just takes practice, just get used to holding the throttle steady while on the balance point..
balance point??? you ask???
when the bike hits that point where it feels almost weightless, youre close, thats where you will need a steady throttle hand, the thing about bikes these days is that they are so powerful, they give you a false sense of a balance point, you think youre there when in fact, its the bikes power keeping it up..if you can see over your winsheild, then chances are youre probably not on the balance point..
keep practicing and keep a foot on the brake, just in case...

as far as steering is concerned, unless youre shifting through the gears on the back tire, you probably dont need to steer yet, when you do, a slight lean with your body will change the direction of the bike..usually putting pressure on a butt cheek will put enough pressure on the bike to do it..turning the handlebars will not actually change your direction, but it does help you lean sometimes... and yes its easier to keep the front end up when the front tire is spinning..but not necessary

one of the best sounds in the world is when you wheelie so far that the front tire slows down, so when you land, it actually screeches like a planes landing gear...sometimes even leaves black marks....hehe

awwww yea

Im not a rookie here guys, I can drop it down at 120 or so in 3rd gear. I just can't find the balancing point when its cold out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
sorry bro...
just giving the scoop...
its just hard to believe you can ride out a 3rd gear wheelie but cant find the balance point when its cold????
anyway....right on...keep it up, (front wheel that is)

hehe

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hiya Shannon, Did you manage to go up through the gear box ???.. Im at the stage where i can lift the front either in 1st or 2nd but more often than not i struggle to change up, I'm sure it's just a matter of time and practise before i can go up through the box... Let's hope so anyway.......

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
KLRAdam said:

Then you're a rookie.
Whats that, you want to suck my what :twofinger

No when its normal temp out, I can hold the throttle in 1 position and move my body back and forth to stay at balancing point. When its cold I sound like Im on a damn dirt bike, It wants to keep going back and I have to let off and then get on it again

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"bladerunner" said:
Hiya Shannon, Did you manage to go up through the gear box ???.. Im at the stage where i can lift the front either in 1st or 2nd but more often than not i struggle to change up, I'm sure it's just a matter of time and practise before i can go up through the box... Let's hope so anyway.......

I bring it up in 2nd, shift to 3rd 4 or 5 seconds into it. I've never gone to 4th, don't want to. Wind is really rushing at 120 or so. No need to go faster

·
Registered
208 Posts
shannon said:

No when its normal temp out, I can hold the throttle in 1 position and move my body back and forth to stay at balancing point. When its cold I sound like Im on a damn dirt bike, It wants to keep going back and I have to let off and then get on it again
I got two words for ya, Throttle control.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts