Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty new at the sportbikeworld & was wondering if power-shifting damages the clucth-basket or any component on bikes? I know that it's used by experienced riders, but just wanted feed-back on the pros. & cons. of powershifting....Your help is greatly appreciated.;)

·
Registered
227 Posts
I use powershifting only on upshifts, i tried it a few times on downshifts but never felt comfrotable doing it. What it give me is a faster upshift. The faster upshift can be done on the street but it's really helpful on the track days.

I used to ride and race dirt bikes and there I only used the clutch to stop or go, but it was more fogiving on a dirt bike then a street bike if you got caught between gears.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I just had a disagreement with my husband over this. He insists that I learn how, I don't think I need to. (he only does it for upshifting btw). I have tried it, but I just can't "feel" when the engine and tranny are in-synch, so I think I am indeed hurting the bike. If you do it right, I don't see how you could possibly be hurting the bike.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I do it but only at low RPMS (5-6k). How do you know if the engine and Tran are in synch?
What can happen to the bike if you do it wrong a lot?

TIA

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have always used clutchtless up shifts for as long as i remember.
I think you will be able to tell if you are doing it right.
Whilst accelerating hard close the throttle a bit and quickly snick the gear change up one and then wind the throttle open again. The idea is to change gear when there is no load on the gears allowing a smooth change. If you change gear whilst the power is still on then maybe that is when damage can happen.:crying:
I have never had transmission or clutch problems with any of my bikes (touch wood) and as far as i know the people that have had the bikes after me havent had any problems with them either.

·
Registered
177 Posts
ALWAYS use your clutch when downshifting!

I have read at least 3 separate articles in various mags about powershifting or clutchless shifting and they all three said the same thing: not using the clutch during downshifting can damage the gearbox.

Later,
Eric

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Hawkman said:
ALWAYS use your clutch when downshifting!

I have read at least 3 separate articles in various mags about powershifting or clutchless shifting and they all three said the same thing: not using the clutch during downshifting can damage the gearbox.

Later,
Eric
The clutch...is your friend:D

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hammer 4 said:

The clutch...is your friend:D
yes it is :D

I dunno how to powershift. At least it didnt work when I tried.

But I remember shifting without using the clutch when I was learning to ride.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Why in the world do ya think they put a clutch on the bike...just to take off, and stop ?? Unless your racing, and or have a airshifter/powershifter...use the clutch..practice being smooth with it, so the bike doesn't jerk while up, or down shifting....Just try it..you'll like it:D ;)

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i like powershifting. i have a 00 750, with the weak second still in place. i always powershift. up only.

i see hammer's point, but when riding on the track the clutchless upshifts are smoother. i learned how to do them while streetriding.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Why is the clutch there? Obviously to be used. I only power shift if I am racing. Other than that I use the clutch. You can shift just as fast using the clutch. Let's have a test someone don't use the clutch to upshift for a year and let's see if it hurts the bike, I bet it will wear something out.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
FZR400Tony said:
i like powershifting. i have a 00 750, with the weak second still in place. i always powershift. up only.

i see hammer's point, but when riding on the track the clutchless upshifts are smoother. i learned how to do them while streetriding.
I agree..My comments were mainly directed at new, or newer riders, that wern't quite sure what to do, as for experienced riders like yourself and others...you know what works, and ride accordingly...I hardly ever powershift on the street, my reason is to practice all of my braking, shifting, every operation as smooth as possible, both at slow and upbeat speeds, hopefuly, this will translate on the track...ya think..:D ;)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Sportbike2 said:
Why is the clutch there? Obviously to be used. I only power shift if I am racing. Other than that I use the clutch. You can shift just as fast using the clutch. Let's have a test someone don't use the clutch to upshift for a year and let's see if it hurts the bike, I bet it will wear something out.
I have had my bandit for 4 years it now has approx 25k miles on it and it has survived power shifting up through the gears since i got it with no damage caused.

·
Registered
38 Posts
well brother all the power to you, but I would rather use the clutch. I thought maybe it would wear something out. I was wrong, but I am not going to be the firrst to have a shotty tranny.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Maxima said:
I'm pretty new at the sportbikeworld & was wondering if power-shifting damages the clucth-basket or any component on bikes? I know that it's used by experienced riders, but just wanted feed-back on the pros. & cons. of powershifting....Your help is greatly appreciated.;)
When you power shift, you must chop the throttle to unload the tranny, otherwise you'll end up with a bent shift fork or a fragged tranny. Never ever down shift without using the clutch, you can't unload the tranny when you are decelerating with out using the clutch. (unless you do a stoppie ;) )

power shifting accelerates wear, mostly to second gear, but not enough to be a problem in most cases, just make sure you chop the throttle when you do it.

I avoid first to second power shifts because the Bandit trys to flip over backwards when I do it.:eek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts