Sportbike World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bikers fight lane splitting ban

Bikers have called on the National Transport Commission (NTC) not to implement a proposed ban on lane splitting by motorcyclists, saying it would increase congestion and accidents.

In lane splitting, a motorcycle rider exploits their limited space requirements to manoeuvre their bike through stationary or slow moving traffic.

The NTC had received 59 submissions so far in regard to the proposed changes to the Australian Road Regulations outlawing the practice.

The Motorcycle Riders Association of Australia (MRAA) said no submission to date had been in favour.

The MRAA's John Karmouche said there was no evidence that this practice was unsafe, based on available research and statistics.

"Some of the anti-lane filtering approach by regulators appears to stem from an attitude that motorcyclists should wait their turn and be treated like other traffic," Mr Karmouche said.

"Numerous overseas jurisdictions have either explicitly moved to legalise lane splitting or are in the process of doing so.

"Among the jurisdictions are the UK and the Netherlands which have produced sensible guidelines for the practice.

"California has legalised lane splitting at all legal speeds on freeways and their experience has shown that there are no specific safety issues involved."

Mr Karmouche said The Hurt Report, produced by the University of Southern California Traffic Safety Centre in 1981, found there was an improved margin of safety for motorcyclists when filtering through traffic.

"The Hurt Report found the ability to filter between lines of traffic effectively prevents motorcyclists being rear ended, which was a major cause of accidents in traffic."

He also cited the Oxford Systematics report produced by VicRoads, in Victoria, which found "that no examples have yet been located where such filtering has yet been the cause of an accident."

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Stop whining, it's illegal in most states but everyone does it anyway.

Not that you're whining, so don't get your panties in a bunch.. I'm just saying that it's not like you can't do it even if it is "banned."

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even though it's not currently illegal, apparently you can be booked for "passing on the left" (opposite side to you, remember). You're only allowed to overtake on the left if there is a separate lane with a painted dividing line.

Funny, I always thought it was illegal already.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Unas_the_Slayer said:
it's illegal in most states but everyone does it anyway.
People do lots of things that are illegal. That's not the issue. If it's illegal, it's one more thing that you can get busted for. One more pain in the ass we have to deal with. The government is just wedging their hand of power further up everyone's asses.

Unas_the_Slayer said:
Stop whining ... Not that you're whining
Kinda contradicting yourself, huh? :twofinger

·
Registered
460 Posts
I wish the rest of the states would look at it a little more. Lane spliting would be good thing. IMO. I hate the fact that we can't lane split out here.

I think it was somebody on here that had said on a hot summer day or even a cold winter day. Sitting in traffic sucks, all these cars have there music., heaters and ac. and what not. Its a PITA to ride a bike in traffice espicaly stop and go...

people in cars should be glad we are on bikes. We are one less person they have to worry about being in front of them.

Most sport bikes if ridden sensiably. Get good MPG's. Better then most eco cars also. I know my bike beats my G/F car by at least 10 and thats her on the highway and me in the city. She has a saturn wich will get about 35MPG's on the highway.

I'm not trying to convice everyone that they need to ride. But People need to realize the benfit of us riding, and let us do it cuase we love it.

Some people will try to close off your lane when spliting. If they don't like the fact that we can do it. Then I guess they need to get there ass on the bike. so they can fill there ego.

·
Registered
56 Posts
50/50

I think it might be okay if the speed is below maybe 10mph, but anything above that, lane-splitting should be illegal.
I'm sure that splitting lanes at 80mphs scares the crap out of people drivin cars. You never know how they'll react when they someone passes them so close.

I think California is set-up this way...

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I don't see the big deal. I don't know if it's legal where I live or not, but I know quite a few people (of course not me) who do it anyway.

I've never known whether the term "lane splitting" was meant for stopped traffic or moving traffic, but I have talked to a lot of guys (again, never myself, because I always obey traffic laws) who ride between cars no matter the speed. Stopped or at 65, one way or the other bikes are faster than cars, and about 1/4 as wide. A human with natural intuition will use that to their advantage.

Of course, always obey traffic regulations and remember that making your state and your nanny happy are what makes this wonderful world go 'round. Never violate any traffic laws, because god will cry.:2cents:

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't advocate lane splitting at speed.

Stopped traffic, or traffic that is travelling below 15mph should be fair game, so long as the splitter is only moving up to 5mph faster.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Doesn't do much for their lifespan, either. Riders get hit out here all the time.

When I first came to Cali and started splitting lanes, it was pretty intense. You're squeezing through small spaces that change and move randomly as you approach them, and occasionaly a car changes lanes in front of you, cutting you off. Takes a lot of focus.

Ever get stuck behind that one car in the left hand lane that's blocking miles of open road? Nice to be able to legally pass them right up the middle.

I don't do it past fifty or so mph. The key to doing it safely is not going a whole lot faster than the cars around you, so that you leave yourself space to react to the unexpected. Passing through moving traffic at extreme speed is putting too much faith in the attentiveness of other drivers.....for me anyway...

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Rundog said:
Passing through moving traffic at extreme speed is putting too much faith in the attentiveness of other drivers.....for me anyway...
The key is to pass them fast enough so even if they change lanes, you're already past them.. :squid:

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Texas allows lane splitting at under 20mph, while cali allows at all legal speeds (up to 70) but no more then 10 over the flow of traffic.

I really dont see what the big deal is. I see drivers getting ticked off all the time, but its always the mentality of "Well I have to wait and so should they" which is nothing more then some immature insecurities. What if the other guy gets a bigger slice of the pie by being a tad more agressive? Grow up people.
Point is that it relieves traffic plain and simple. And I dont understand what the drivers have to be scared about, how much damage is the bike going to do to the car if it side swipes?

Some time ago, There was an article on the ride to work day. Some non riding person decided to check if it really relieves traffic, And his rationale (actually he was quote some DPS spokesman) was that since motorcyles still take a whole lane, they do not relieve traffic. Which essentially the same as saying that traffic would be the same if everyone stopped driving cars and got 18wheelers...

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Up to '68 I use to lane-split in Cdn, only at crawling paces & at traffic hold-ups to even use the cage in front of me to take the possible blunt of someone behind me that travelled to close & YES it saved me at a few red lights.

Unfortunately it became illegal all across the Cdn Provinces in 1968.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I lane split when its dead or slow traffic. We had a discussion about this at college a few months ago. People think its totally illegal and you should be thrown in jail, yet people are ignorant and don't want for you (motorcyclists) to have an extra advantage to 'get home earlier'. The fact of the matter is that I would not want to lane split at highway speeds because most americans do not know how to drive correctly. They'll be on a cell phone or eating a cheeseburger and they could loose focus and swerve.

Now, I know in Europe, their road education is much higher then that of the US. In the sense that you must be on the left to pass cars and if your in the fast lane and you see a car coming behind you, you are suppose to move to the slower lane to not block him. People in the US understand the concept of fast and slow lanes, but NO ONE FOLLOWS THEM. You have some mom and pop's oldsmobile going 60 in a 70 zone in the fast lane, while 18 wheelers are going 90 in the slow lane.

IMO, lane splitting at 15mph and under should be legal in all states as long its not in a dangerous situation. I also think everyone should own a motorbike to cut on gas usage, but I know that will never work. damn the SUV era.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Vash said:
And I dont understand what the drivers have to be scared about, how much damage is the bike going to do to the car if it side swipes?
Maybe scared isn't the word but more like panic. I normally drive a minimum of 90 on the freeway. Weirdly enough though, one day I was driving in my car and in my rear view mirror I see a bike comin up behind me hella fast. It freaked me out. No real reason, it's not like I was going to change lanes or anything, it just did. He didn't split lanes or anything, just passed me.

I kind of also think the state makes it illegal to prevent any accidents. Even if you were to only get a scratch, it would probably cause traffic and money for cops and such.

But on another note...do you have a website or something that shows it's legal to split in TX at below 15mph. :D I hate sitting in traffic in the summer! Just don't want to split lanes and be thinkin a cop is going to pull me over.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I saw the news article on this site, I believe it was cookie who posted it about a year ago. Do a search...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts