Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently spent a week working in Portland and there is a pretty good chance that I will end up moving there within the next couple months. Soooo....I'll be looking for Portland area riders to hook up with and show me where the roads are. Some are pretty obvious like St. Helens but I would think there is some good stuff toward the coast as well. Anyway, my preference is fast but not stupid. See you when the sun comes out!

·
Registered
517 Posts
There are some really, really good roads around there. Specifically, I'd recommend taking 214 from Portland down through Silverton, past Silver Falls and down into Stayton. It's not too far and zero traffic on a weekday.

Or take hwy 20 up through Santiam pass to Bend on a summer's day.

For a longer trip, stay on 20 all the way to Ontario. High desert that eventually runs down through a river valley and follows the river for some super twisty sections. Watch for cops and deer, though.

The coast is good, but you'll always want to hit it during the off-season. 101 is super busy on a summer Saturday.

Just go exploring.

·
Registered
244 Posts
scotty said:
There are some really, really good roads around there. Specifically, I'd recommend taking 214 from Portland down through Silverton, past Silver Falls and down into Stayton. It's not too far and zero traffic on a weekday.

Or take hwy 20 up through Santiam pass to Bend on a summer's day.

For a longer trip, stay on 20 all the way to Ontario. High desert that eventually runs down through a river valley and follows the river for some super twisty sections. Watch for cops and deer, though.

The coast is good, but you'll always want to hit it during the off-season. 101 is super busy on a summer Saturday.

Just go exploring.
Those are good ones.
Also try Hwy 14 on the Washington side. It paralells the Columbia river, Beautiful, Fast, Smooth, Curves!! There are a few back roads out by The Dalles that are pretty nice. Other than that, You're on your own.
Just go downtown on Broadway (right next to Pioneer Courthouse Square) on a Saturday night. Lots of riders to ask.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Let us know if ya make the move!!
Try taking the "Sunset Highway" or SR26 out to the coast.
I also like riding down 99W instead of I-5.

Jim

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I went to Portland to work again for a few days and they officially made me an offer which I accepted. So, the wife and I will be moving down in less than a month. It's not exactly riding season but it seems like you freaks on the west side will ride in just about anything.:D ;) I'll keep y'all posted.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Welcome to Stumptown!

I went on some absolutely awesome rides this last year, usually on a Monday or Tuesday (since those are two of my days off), and will do them again this summer. Two of the rides in particular were about 350 miles total and all day events. I rode to Maupin for lunch one day and went SR14 in Washington to Klickitat, south to Tygh Valley and back. Oh my God those were awesome rides.

Closer to home, Yamhill County has some great rides and they are close to civilization too. I'm still learning the great riding roads around here, but it seems the legendary type rides either take all day or take all day to get to the really good roads. I would love to do a two or three day ride through Eastern Oregon this next year.

I'm also a warm weather rider, but if it's dry I'm game.

Hope to see you around!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Good to see a few others here from the Portland area. Birdman, welcome to Portland, and there are plenty of good rides in the area. Shoot me an e-mail when you want to ride.

erik900ss, I see you have the same days off I have :) Have you ridin' up Apiary, that's one twisty road and it's in good condition.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
SmallMonkey said:

Those are good ones.
Also try Hwy 14 on the Washington side. It paralells the Columbia river, Beautiful, Fast, Smooth, Curves!!

Good Luck
Awesome section of blacktop. Just watch out for wind gusts coming up out of the canyons. :) Enjoy!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Motoracer, never been up Apiary. I'm tryin for a ride on the 24th with a buddy from Vancouver. If it works out, it'll just be enough to get some miles on the bike and maybe get a new tank of gas. Hopefully I'll have a couple free hours before the family comes over for dinner. If it's slick like it was this morning, I'll stay inside. Damn, about 7:30 when the sun came up it got slippery!!!!

I'm just across the river from you in West Linn. We should hook up for a ride when weather permits!

Happy Holidays,
Erik

·
Registered
116 Posts
Lol, we are close. I'm off work till the 5th, I'm planning a run to Sandlake this Saturday for an atv ride other than that I'm free. If this weather holds out, I could pull the longjohns on and maybe we could hook up for a ride.

Happy Holidays
john

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well John, it looks like the weather won't cooperate with me. I have the 31st, 1st and 2nd off, but it looks like showers those three days, with sun before and after. Damn. If it's sunny at all those three days, I'll be riding. Otherwise, I'll be whining as usual. :(

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, next question (just wave a white flag when this gets annoying ;) ). What dealer do you guys trust? I guess this would be directed at the Honda guys. Beaverton Honda seems like a no-brainer because of their size. You would think a large dealer like that would have the best service equipment and the best trained technicians. But that's not always the case......

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don't have much experience with Honda dealers, but I did buy my Cannondale FX400 atv at Columbia River Honda in St. Helens and the service department seems pretty good and it's family run.
Their prices on new bikes a bit higher but you can deal with them.

And I would stay away from Action Motorsports in Oregon City for any service work, their service manger was over at a now defunct Kawi dealer back when I was raceing and they F***** up my engine one time then F***** up my PM wheels another time when I had some slicks put on. Action is a dealer for Kawi, Yam and Suz though.

If you need anything for your bike I recommend Dr. Brown's Motorcycles, he will beat anyones price just don't tell him you saw a price on the internet or mail order catalog, he'll explode,lol. He doesn't have a fancy shop, it's and old 2-story house with a couple shops, and he is kind of a character and one of the first roadracers that started OMRRA. Cool place to hang out and hear some stories too.

I actually went all the way to Clarkston, WA to buy my ZX-9 so that may say what I feel about the dealers in the Portland area but that's for Kawi's other dealers may be better. Oh and I wouldn't trust Cyclesports in Salem they lied to me about something, it's funny when some dealers start spewing a bunch of crap, do they think every new person they meet knows nothing about motorcycles or the bussiness? Well that goes for anything it just pisses me off!!!( oops sorry got off subject :) )

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ages ago when I had my first bike ('82 Magna), I took it to Beaverton Honda, and I've hated them ever since. Personally, I think their customer service sucks and their prices are too high.

I went to St. Johns Honda after that and liked them. Now I (obviously) go to the Ducati dealer (Tonkin Motocorsa), and I really like the work they do. I've become friends with the staff and they have done me right on quite a few occasions.

Depending on who you talk to, EDR (Eric Dorn Racing) does good work, but expect to wait during racing season. Circuit One can handle your suspension needs better than pretty much anyone else. I would steer clear of Beaverton Honda (personal preference) and look at St. Johns honda or Gresham Honda for your warranty work and general maintenance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts