Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a gsxr 600. got a new perelli for the front about a month ago. got a conti road attack on the rear, had it for under 2000 miles. i was riding today around these onramps that are continuous (kinda like a mini track) and i start to wobble around the second turn. i drive to a gas station for gas, only to find a fucking nail in my back tire. went in one side and came out at an angle toward the rim. its sunday, so the service shop is closed, and the lady in sales wont let me have my bike towed there till tomorrow. so i have to pay 100 to get it towed home, and will have to pay 100 more to tow it to the shop tomorrow, and then 150+ for the tire, and whatever else it costs to mount and balance. at least i didnt slide out around the turn, but can you think of a worse sunday ride?

·
Registered
526 Posts
DIDNT GO DOWN

just be glad you didnt go down. now after you replace this tire and you go out again only to get another hole in the new tire within a month. welcome to my luck!!! hopefully better luck on the next tire

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
97yzfinwyo,is correct you could have gone down & been injured out of town. Cost of obtaining ambulance plus emergency ward service, to cost of getting your damaged bike home from some distance & then the other costs that might also have to include new plastics & parts. So in a stupid way you were lucky, STILL even what you had was a bummer.

Luckier then you realize for if it was here in Cdn the costs of all would have been so much higher & m/c shops are closed on Monday.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
It wasn't a turn, but I was going 70 when it happend on a local hwy. Bike started wobbling left and right. So I pulled over and got on the sidewalk and rode the bike slowly in 1st gear for 2 miles. I guess if you were near your home or familiar place, could've done the same. There's a risk of damaging the rim, since my tire was out of all air.

·
Registered
610 Posts
find a buddy with a truck and roll it up on the truck..

somebody will scratch it when they tow it unless its a dealer..

dont forget to strap it right with a canyon dancer or somethin of that sort..

·
Registered
317 Posts
The same thing happened to me. After having to pay the tow company to take my bike to the shop, I invested in two things. The first item was a shop manual for my bike. Although there are many things in the manual that I truly don't understand and would still have to take my bike to a shop anyway, the manual is very helpful with something like taking off a front or back wheel. Second item was a single bike trailer. The trailer I bought was used. I had to slap on some new wheels, lights & wire harness, but it's good to go now........It was relatively inexpensive...Now my mind is at ease that if need be I myself can transport my bike to track, shop, whatever.......One more thing the trailer is light enough that my car can tow the bike safely, so I didn't have to go out and purchase a heavier vehicle....like a new truck:D

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
If you have friends with a truck, hope they like helping you. otherwise, I'd say invest in a cheap old truck in working condition. I'm prolly gonna get an old truck within a few months so I can tow my bike to the mountains (6 hours away) and do some decent twisties.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
sixer said:
The same thing happened to me. After having to pay the tow company to take my bike to the shop, I invested in two things. The first item was a shop manual for my bike. Although there are many things in the manual that I truly don't understand and would still have to take my bike to a shop anyway, the manual is very helpful with something like taking off a front or back wheel. Second item was a single bike trailer. The trailer I bought was used. I had to slap on some new wheels, lights & wire harness, but it's good to go now........It was relatively inexpensive...Now my mind is at ease that if need be I myself can transport my bike to track, shop, whatever.......One more thing the trailer is light enough that my car can tow the bike safely, so I didn't have to go out and purchase a heavier vehicle....like a new truck:D

+1 on both, they'll pay for themselves the first few times you use them...

If you get tired of those bent-up cotter pins.....

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
two months ago, my mechanic found out that my left adjuster bracket for the rear axel was broken into two pieces. A violent yank could have yanked the rear axel right off the bike and that could have been bad.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
sixer said:
I'm sure those large pins serve thier purpose but they look so funny:D
Just a matter of perspective....

My bike is a 2000. Between tire changes, chain adjustment, etc., I have that nut off about 6 times a year...That's 30 of those bent-up cotter pins vs the one. I'm cheap...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts