Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks;

Yes, it's hideously ugly; and that makes me wonder if it's destined to be an underpriced "sleeper" on the used car scene in coming years..? I'm old (and poor) enough to not give much of a damn about a (four-wheeled) vehicle's looks anymore, as long as it's a good buy, and practical.

Any thoughts?

Robert

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i thought the same thing about pontiac's sister car of the toyota matrix (i can't think of its name, vibe?).

i don't know what motor is in the aztec, but i would think when the bargain buster lease specials come due, you may be able to find 'em cheap. just curious about overall durability of gm's anymore.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I'll take a pontiac or chevy over any other car on the planet, my best friend has a 2000 blazer that kicks ass and I've got an 87 trans am with 137k on it and still burning rubber. if you ever question the durability of a gm again I'll shove one of these:finger: you know where.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
SilentNEKO said:
I'll take a pontiac or chevy over any other car on the planet, my best friend has a 2000 blazer that kicks ass and I've got an 87 trans am with 137k on it and still burning rubber. if you ever question the durability of a gm again I'll shove one of these:finger: you know where.
my buddy's 98 zr2 blazer came with the drain plus missing from the front pumkin (new, found it when it was leaking oil in the garage after the first night, the door skin fell off, i can't remember what all went wrong with it. i felt bad him. he bought a toyota last year.

·
Registered
191 Posts
THOSE SUV'S ARE SO F$%KING UGLY AND CHEAP. :barf: I SEEN ONE YESTERDAY AND IM SURE IF A MOTORCYCLE HITS IT, IT MAY CONSUME MORE DAMAGE THEN THE BIKE....:D THEY ARE LIKE 90%PLASTIC AND 10%SCRAP...:p I WOULDN'T EVEN BUY ONE IF THEY GAVE ME THE MONEY FOR IT...AND IF GIVEN TO ME I'LL SELL IT..:twofinger

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ferracci69 said:
THOSE SUV'S ARE SO F$%KING UGLY AND CHEAP. :barf: I SEEN ONE YESTERDAY AND IM SURE IF A MOTORCYCLE HITS IT, IT MAY CONSUME MORE DAMAGE THEN THE BIKE....:D THEY ARE LIKE 90%PLASTIC AND 10%SCRAP...:p I WOULDN'T EVEN BUY ONE IF THEY GAVE ME THE MONEY FOR IT...AND IF GIVEN TO ME I'LL SELL IT..:twofinger
Stop mincing words; what do you *really* think about it? ;)

Robert

·
Registered
866 Posts
there are lemons in every bunch, remember every factory has a friday, anyway, my whole family is a gm family, my mom just junked her 89 olds 98 after 182k miles and 2 wrecks, and got a 93 olds 88, I've had 3 pontiacs 2 trans ams and 1 fiero, say what you want but I loved that little car. my father has a 97 chevy pickup that is bullet proof. I love gm thats it, there only rival is dodge, ford sucks:finger:

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I hate to say this, but:

I've had NUMEROUS Honda cars and MANY Toyota cars/Trucks with NEVER a problem EVER EVER. My ol' standby Toyota p/u has 167000 miles and not one glitch!

I had a 88 blazer ~Pos squeeked and rattled and generally had poor quality parts. Not so bad I know but:

I had a 2000 Tahoe that went to Chevy 6 Times in 2 years and 23000 miles! And not little stuff;I had a brain go out, a catalytic converter go bad (?!?) pieces falling apart, light lenses that fogged up from leaking and faulty injectors that had a bulletin!
~~I loved the Tahoe when everything was working well, but damn I got tired of dealing with the crap.

So there goes the "friday car BS"

Im through with the American cars until I get a guaranteed free loaner car without fighting for it and a free 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty for when it does crap out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Of the cars I've owned or my family has owned or my long-term girlfriend has owned (and I've driven a lot), it is brutally clear that the American cars were less reliable.

Ford Taurus - numerous problems
Jeep Grand Cherokee - Many many problems
Acura Integra - perfect
Honda Accord - perfect
Toyota corolla - perfect
Nissan Sentra - almost perfect
Lexus RX300 - perfect
Saab 9000 - didn't keep it long enough to know but I wouldn't count on keeping it out of the shop.
Ford Explorer - Ford Exploder as we liked to call it

I could go on, but you get the point. Of course this is only my point of view and my experience. I'm sure there is a percentage of US cars that are well made and durable but the percentage of Japanese cars is much higher.

:)

·
Registered
627 Posts
TT_Robert said:
Hi folks;

Yes, it's hideously ugly; and that makes me wonder if it's destined to be an underpriced "sleeper" on the used car scene in coming years..? I'm old (and poor) enough to not give much of a damn about a (four-wheeled) vehicle's looks anymore, as long as it's a good buy, and practical.

Any thoughts?

Robert
Toyota is my favorite car manufacturer although I like GM & chevy in particular. I would give this car a little more time to reveal it's true character. In terms of drive train if it's running the V6 (4.3) then I would feel better about it. The 3.1 V6 is a nice motor as well but not as tried & true as the 4.3 (IMHO)
The 4.3 is the same design as a 350 without the other 2 pistons. Just as if GM had cut them off & made the 350 into a V6. Outside of drive train the thing I worry about in GM products are the computer related stuff & things like P/W, P/L etc. These things cost a bunch & don't seem to last like Toyota etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
american engines are just poorly designed, they get horrible gas mileage and their HP/liter is way lower than just about any import. I had a blazer with a 4.3L V6 that got a whopping 150hp, oh wait I forgot that's not much at all especially if you have to drag around an SUV with that power. My current car is an 88 Jetta GLI and I get 170 HP out of a 2L 4 cylinder engine. I also get between 35 and 40 MPG vs. 13 MPG with my Blazer. I have had numerous American cars and a couple other imports. Needless to say all of my American cars were my first after I got my first import I never went back. How many American cars do you see running over the 300,000 mile mark on their origional engine?

·
Registered
610 Posts
I would say most of the imports are bullet proof that are actually expensive. Honda, Toyota.. Lexus, BMW and such.. Then u get into the junkers like suzuki and stuff. I would say if your lookin for somethin to give ya some miles buy a caddy.. I just finished mine off at 250,000.. They run like a top and cheap to buy used. If ur lookin for somethin to junk after a year i would suggest a ford. The new gm's and pontiac's just arent the same anymore.. Too much plastic. But if ya look at the aztec and some of them think about 5 years down the road when the flip out back seat seals start to leak. Then you will have flood. Just plain down crazy.

Ford= Fix Or Repair Daily

·
Registered
107 Posts
Any car will last if it was taken care of. With that said, I have a strong distaste for domestic cars, especially GM. I kinda like fords because they seem to be more "europeanish" if that makes sense. Since Daimler merged with chrylser that has really made me look twice at them.. My sister had a cavalier that blew 4 head gaskets but the rest of the car held up great. still alive at 190,000 miles

THe crossfire is hot
the 300c Hemi with 5 speed auto (from mercedes has GOT to be nice)

Anyrate, i drive a nissan--its my brand loyalty The build quality of my sentra is less then that of a honda or toyota for sure --but it has a certain character to it i love. My last two cars both 300zx's lasted over 200,000 miles with no problems --amazing in my opinion

If i could have any car though, my money goes to practical sports cars. Subaru WRX or Mitsubushi Evo. Sedans, decent gas mileage, and AWD (perfect michigan sports car)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts