Sportbike World banner

Select each option that best identifies the worst problem(s) at most dealerships.

• Poor customer service - Unfriendly/confrontational staff?

Votes: 35 26.9%
  • Poor customer service - Inexperienced/Unknowledgeable staff?

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Poor customer service - Not enough staff?

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Poor customer service - Disinterested staff?

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • Do you feel like you're trespassing/unwelcomed?

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Is the dealership too cluttered/crowded and hard to navigate?

Votes: 21 16.2%
  • Are you not allowed to sit on the bikes?

Votes: 25 19.2%
  • Not enough vehicles on the showroom floor?

Votes: 21 16.2%
  • Can't find somebody to help you?

Votes: 16 12.3%
  • Other? (please explain)

Votes: 26 20.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Man, my "one" vote stretched pretty far. :laughing:

My experiences have mostly been with poor customer service. Mostly the disinterested or unwelcoming ones. I've also run into a few that I felt I knew more about their bikes than they did, and I'm a dumbass. Not very confidence inspiring. This is all of course on the off chance that someone actually comes over to "help" you in the first place.

I also voted "other" because if I sit here and think long enough, I'm sure I can come up with a number of complaints about every dealership I've been in. Almost all go back to customer service though. While a "the customer is always right" attitude would be nice, I'd settle for a "the customer should at least be treated like a human being" one. :2cents:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Of the four local dealerships I've visited, I was treated the best at the Harley-Kawasaki dealer. Granted, while I was browsing through the Harley section, I was ignored. BUT, when I made my way into the room full of Kawi's...I talked to two different guys. One dude, not even a salesman, just a worker, came up and talked to me about all kinds of riding shit.

Worst experience is at the local Honda/Yamaha dealership...small inventory, one salesperson who refuses to move from behind his desk, and a slew of behind-the-counter idiot teenagers who have no idea if they can "order Arai's or Shoei's."

The local Suzuki/Kawasaki dealership wasn't much better most of the times I went in, until this last time when I came in to buy. They had no idea I was buying, but I was approached early in a very friendly way. I also got it delivered free of charge about 30 miles away immediately.

Some dealerships just suck.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I think poor customer service is the main thing. I just don't know which one to vote for.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Haven't had any bad cust service help. They're not as knowledgeable as I would expect, though, especially about aftermarket parts.

I voted "other" because nearly all dealerships in IN lack any stock of quality gear. This is what drove me to shop in Chicago.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've only been in 3 dealership's one a hearley shop and the other to where for sportbikes. The harley shop basicaly told be to come back when I was serious about buying a bike that day and had some money with me. The other in medina ohio the sales person I was working with was just a a$$. I told him if he could get me at a monthly payment that I could afford I would by the bike. Well 2 weeks later this shi^t for brains calls be back and I tell him sorry but I just enrolled into my paramedic class so you a little late but I will come back after I'm done with this class. So he told me he put so much hard work into getting me finansed for nothing when he could have been working with people who had money. But the 3rd sportbike shop was very welcoming, I have absolutly no complaints about them, they helped me out every way they could, even feed me. If you guys are ever in ohio in the mansfield area stop by McCunne cycle world.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm pretty lucky in that I've found an incredible dealer in my area. They treat me like gold even though I'm not a huge $ customer, and they've gone up and above their responsibilities in a variety of situations. Now if only they'd hurry up and ship me my new banjo bolt :(

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think the biggest problem is the salesperson SELLING too much bike to a new rider. You see these kids on liter bikes where an R6 would have been too much for them anyway. It effects the rest of us more than we'd like to think. It cranks up our insurance rates and it makes our bad public image even worse.

·
Registered
471 Posts
oh jeez. i could go on and on about this subject as it is sticking subject for me.

1) I *really* *really* *really* wish there could be a subsection within the 'Regional' sections of SBW for reviews of local dealerships. Is there anyway the moderators could make that happen? i think it would be inavlubale info for all riders (new and old).

2) in the Boston area there are number of dealers which are staffed by 'salesmen', not motorcyclists (i'm sure you can figure out the difference). personally i'd rather deal with someone who wants to give me the info i need to make an informed descion rather than someone who is concerned with their commision. often these people know very little about the products their selling. i took a friend to LOOK at bikes a while back. he wanted to see what diffenet options were out there (he was TOTALL newbie). he sat on an R6 and said it felt cramped. after having JUST told the salesman that he had never riden before, the saleman responded by saying "well, just get an R1 you'll have more leg room". I was horrified.

3) attitude. way too many sales people give off the "I'm way cooler than you" attitude. this is a huge turn off to both new potential riders, and establishing a good sales base and reputation. being a minority, we need to stick together as much as we can and exhibit a real sense of solidarity amongts each other.

4) there are also some great dealerships out there also. i'm lucky to have one about 2 miles from my house(Riverside Kawaski/Yamaha/Ducati). they also need to get as much support and reviews as the bad ones...thats what will keep them in bid'ness and give the lame ones something to aspire towards.

-chr|s sedition

·
Registered
3 Posts
There are only a few dealerships here in Tucson, with the exception of one, they all exhibit traits mentioned in the poll. The one that didn't, is where I bought my bike. The place, Performance Cycle Center, provided me the most laid-back, relaxing experience that I have ever had buying a bike or a car. There was no pressure to the purchase and if the guy didn't know the answer to a question, he'd get someone else who did. Very satisfying!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Monthly quotas...

Good Evening All-

The sales personnel in most of the dealerships in my area are so focused on meeting monthly quota, they can't grasp the concept of "customer development" for future sales.

Heck, just ask me about what I've been riding, take a look at my bike outside ten feet away, and shoot the breeze about bikes for five minutes. I don't need cuddling fer' chrissakes, but I would like the know the salesperson will go to bat for me if there is a problem with the bike a few months down the road or if I need some kind of extra warranty assistance.

When it comes to brands, the BMW dealerships seem to have a pretty sophisticated staff who allow test rides if you visit them on your bike and it appears to be in good condition. Imagine trying to get a test ride on a new sportbike? Har!

There is a person at a Ford dealership near my house who put up with my tire-kicking for years. My last two vehicles have been sold through this person. The automobile industry seems to have a better grasp on this concept compared to motorcycles.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Not stocking parts.
I have yet to get the part i needed at the local kawi dealership, and we are not talking about anything complicated. I went for exhaust gaskets one time and the little clips that hold ALL kawi sport bike tails the other time. no help each time.
I was asking about a tire form another dealership, and the guy was trying to push a supersport on me. I told him i prefered a sport touring tire to get more miles out of it, he didnt have on in stock and told me if i wanted more miles to lay off the throttle. after that he refused to order a tire for me.

The most helpfull dealership i went two was a n apprilla/ducati/other euro bikes is waco texas. me and a friend walked in becouse i am trying to convince him to get a sport/naked bike instead of a cruiser. I told the dealer right of hand that we werent buying anything right now, and i just wanted to point out some differences to my friend, knowing he wasnt going to make any money, he was still exceptionally helpfull, offered good review on what the different bikes were like to ride.

·
Registered
76 Posts
problems in shops...

What up !?
This one could take on a life of its own,after reading some of the posts I can sympathise with you all.....After spending some 20 years in the business now and in two different positions ,parts and now sales I have to agree with a lot of what was said.
With that said I cant agree with a lot of what was said too! No sense huh It takes a lot to open and staff a shop...franchises mo money mo money....
Its not easy guys....and if you run into that guy who knows less than yourself thats a damn shame...he doesnt belong in the business....the parts folks tha dont know you have to be a dealer for Arai,or Shoei.....and it doesnt matter to johnnie come latley that to be a dealer for Arai you have to maintain a certain set level of stock...same with Shoei.....but that doesnt matter to johnnie does it?...Well I got my flame suit on so what ever....
When the {obviously} inexperienced operator comes in and wants to see the "entry level" bike he really doesnt mean it...I show them though.....clears my concience at least.....I have heart burn with dealers that dont stock high end helmets, and more than the latest h/p tires....
Not everyone wants a tire that is gone in 90 days....My TL goes through a rear tire in 2500 miles.....I got 3000 on a MEZ4 once...
Back to my rant.....If you find a shop that comes close to some of your expectations.....none are perfect....find balance trade with them{carefully} dont come in looking for only the bottom dollar
they got to make money somewhere so you can find that part whether or not it has to be ordered...point is to be able to get it...and dont wait til two days befor you go on your ride to need the part. There are good shops out there, there are some bad shops too....find as good as you can even if you got to travel,and that happens a lot.....use them reccomend them they will return the kindness for sure...its not all about the bottom line,but its between there somewhere.....I know one thing if you walk into the place I work in and you get me for advice...I'll hook ya up
AW HELL LETS go riding enough of this typing crap....Monday morning and te sun is shining ....Good luck all and good riding!

Rodm850g

·
Registered
32 Posts
M/C dealerships suck all the way around, or at least the local Kawasaki/Honda shop here in Ogden, UT does. After waiting about 20 min. for someone to help us, the a*@ holes wanted to charge me a $200 set-up fee for my bike, is it just me, but you can not sell the f*%$ing bike wihtout putting it together(taking it out of a f!&*ing box). But like a dumb a$$ I payed because I had to have my bike right now. And GOD forbid they have to work on the bike. My bike started making a louder than normal knocking sound about 200 miles into the break-in. I took it to the shop and they would not even listen to it, "we can not help you till it breaks, Kawasaki does not pay us to chase ghost." What the F!%K is this SHIT? Luckily I have a friend who is a certified Kawasaki mechanic and there was no problem. Any how, DO NOT buy from the Kawasaki/Honda dealership in OGDEN, UT.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Other- Prices for parts. I am a college student, no money for a new bike working only 15-25 hrs/wk during the school year for $8/hr, haha. They want $80 for the $25 walmart battery, and $8 for plugs that are $5 at another dealer and $3 @ advanced auto, just about anything they are not reasonable on. I've yet to give that one a cent luckily.

Other dealers are fine. It is about passion. Anyone doing a job they are not just a "little" passionate about, it is obvious, the work suffers, just like Office Space. They will only work hard enough to not get fired. This is what most m/c shop employees seem like, that or they are working for comission and are too greedy/pushy and don't really lay on the info thick.

You can only buy Joe Rocket gear in stock with any kind of a selection at all of the dealers I have been to around here, pretty lame. At least their sizes were the same as the Teknic through ebay and other stuff through New Enough.

They are extremely good for trying on gear, and seeing new models though.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I just came back from the Honda dealer near my house, I purchased a helmet and gloves. I'm not sure about the motorcycle-selling staff, but the people that were behind the counter in the Gear section were extremely helpful and friendly..the guy was eating but he still helped me and got different helmets from the back for me to try on. And he took off $30 from the price of the helmet and $20 from the price of the gloves. :thumb:

·
Registered
370 Posts
I need to check more than one option so I’ll go with other…

Poor Service: :dunno:
Both in the Service Dept. and the showroom floor
The service dept. acts as if I’m bothering them when I come in for service. The two reasons I still go there is that I have a service contract with them and they do good work. The sales and showroom floor is the same way. The sales dept ignores you… Even when you have the $$$ in hand. They don’t know there product and to answer your questions, they have to look it up on the internet.

Cluttered Showroom: :crying:
The dealership I deal with for service has 6 manufactures displayed in the showroom. You can sit on the bikes but 95% of them are so close together or buried in the 8 rows of bikes that you need to dig them out to get to them, which they have a problem with if you’re not a salesman (see above).

Not Enough Bikes on the Showroom Floor: :huh:
Ok, maybe enough bikes but 18 of the same bike!!! Not enough variety for a dealership with 6 manufactures on hand. Need to thin out the stable. They may have the bike your interested in but it’s probably in the back in a crate.

Expensive: :cussing;
Ok, this wasn’t on the list but needs to be. I understand it’s a dealership but there mark-up is out of control. There are a couple of Motorcycle parts stores in the area that are considered expensive but they have nothing on the dealership…
Examples:
Mobil1 oil $16.99 per QT (Highest price I’ve seen elsewhere 8.99) :eek:
OEM oil filter $14.99 ($5.49 elsewhere) :wtf:
Dunlop K630 Rear tire $175.00 PLUS install ($75.00 elsewhere plus install) :burnout:

I don’t want to hear the crap about “It takes $$$ to run a dealership” etc., etc. My brother owns a specialty shop that I help start and ran with him for a few years. I understand it all comes down to the almighty dollar but above that, all that matters is what the customer wants and expects. Like my brothers place, the people that walk in a motorcycle showroom tend to be a little more knowledgeable on what there looking for and at than the average person. This is due to the availability of info (internet maybe?) and that they probably do there own work on them, etc., etc. Those who don’t care how good or bad the service is, just deal with it cause they don’t know of any other option. Most people don’t have a problem paying a little extra if the sales or parts guy knows what he’s talking about and can help them make the correct, educated choice for something there spending there hard earned dollar on…

:D Luckily, I have found a different dealership that I like. HUGE showroom with more selection that I can look at during a visit, reasonable prices for a dealership, friendly and knowledgeable staff (Parts & Sales). The only downside is that it is a new dealership so I know nothing about the service. I'm stuck with the old dealer for service until August 2005 so I’ve got that covered until I can get some info on them.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Irresponsible sales staff

Irresponsible sales staff. Sell kids the most bike they can afford not based on what they may be able to handle. The inevitable happens driving up insurance and encouraging anti motorcycle legislation and increased attention from law enforcement

1 - 20 of 151 Posts