Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This winter I will be polishing my frame, swingarm, and anything else I can. This will be my first attempt at the task. I've seen and heard of different ways of doing it and want to know which way is right. The most comprehensive explanation I've gotten was like this
1. Easy-Off Oven Cleaner
2. Using Sewn Buffs and a 6" buffer:
a). Emory Compound
b). Tripoli Compound
c). White Rouge
3. Mother's Polish
Is this correct? Why do other methods include wet sanding or any sandpaper at all? Keep in mind that time and effort are no object as I am looking for the best shine.

------------------

·
Registered
873 Posts
Depending on the material you are polishing, wet sanding is almost always required. the big variables here are the factory finish on the frame and the type of aluminum you are polishing (cast vs forged or extruded, etc).

There used to be some very exhaustive threads here on SBW relating to polishing. Ive done polish work on 2 bikes now. It really makes an ugly bike look sweet, but honestly, i will never polish another. It is just WAY too much work. Upkeep is easy, but the work involved in doing the initial polishing is something i am tired of.

BUT, i hope you have fun and find the whole process very rewarding!

------------------
Fear Oil.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I just hope that you realize that you will have to spend at least three hours a week polishing it to keep it from looking like crap. I had the frame on a '95CBR900RR polished, and I will NEVER polish anything on another bike (unless it is stickly a show bike) again. It is a total pain in the ass to keep it looking good, and nowhere near worth the trouble.

------------------
Rossco.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I completely disagree with rossco.

My ZX6E was Completely polished and i didnt spend hardly any time keeping it all shiny. And I mean shiny like GLASS.

Hmm... very odd. I guess if you leave your bike out in the rain and drive around in mud, then yeah, its gonna be a nightmare to keep clean and shiny. But just use some good polish every so often, maybe 30 mins a week at most, and youll be all set.

Im just speaking from my own experience, and im a picky mofo when it comes to deep shine on my bike.

------------------
Fear Oil.

·
Registered
468 Posts
30 minutes a week?? Your bike must not have been completely polished, because there is no way you can polish frame, sub frame, and swing arm in 30 minutes (not to mention the rims), at least not doing a good job. I used to polish mine two or three times a week at 30 mins a shot, and only my frame was polished. The swing arm is the thing that takes time to keep nice and shiny. First you have to remove all the chain lube and road grime, dry it, and then polish it in all the nooks and crannies (not as easy as it sounds). If you do a decent job, it is going to take you 1.5 hrs minimum, and if you don't do a good job, it looks like crap (if you are foolish enough to polish the wheels too, add at least another 30 to 45 mins to the job). There is nothing that looks crappier than a bike that is polished to anything less than perfection. One little smudge, or dull spot, and the whole effect is lost. Polishing is great for a show bike, but wouldn't you rather be riding your street bike than polishing it? I know I would, that is why I will never polish another bike frame.

------------------
Rossco.

[This message has been edited by Rossco929 (edited October 10, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Hmmm... the guy in Canada spends hours polishing, but the guy in AZ spends 30 min. Duh! Think this might have a little something to do with the humidity/weather?
As I've said before, polishing large portions of a bike will enslave you forever. When I see a polished frame/swingarm on a bike I simultaneously think "nice" and "squid".

------------------
Heeeere piggy piggy...

·
Registered
468 Posts
Yeah, you might have something there about the humidity. It is very humid in the summer in Montreal. That is probably why my frame went dull (or at least lost its deep lustre) within a couple of days of polishing it. Good point.

------------------
Rossco.

·
Squid
2019 Ducati Monster 1200s
813 Posts
I thought long and hard about changeing the look of my frame and swing arm since my bike was disassibled anyways, but I decided to keep it stock because I didn't want my bike to look to flashy for people with sticky fingers, besides I like the look of my frame.

------------------
John
http://photos.yahoo.com/jk6672

·
Registered
873 Posts
Less than perfection hmm?

Squid?

I think not, twice.

But still, im never doin another bike, it is too much work doing the initial process.

And im gettin tired of the squid thing.. maybe im old school, but i like a bike that handles AND looks good. We all have our likes and dislikes, if you dont like the looks of a polished frame dont call it squid. If you see an idiot riding around in shorts with no helmet or gloves THATS a SQUID.

------------------
Fear Oil.

·
Registered
186 Posts
It's so pretty. It's a shame it had to go down. :(

------------------
Dan...Comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

G

·
Posted By GreenNinja <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>And im gettin tired of the squid thing..<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me TOO!!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>maybe im old school, but i like a bike that handles AND looks good. We all have our likes and dislikes, if you dont like the looks of a polished frame dont call it squid. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your not a Squid Mike, You are a POSER ! ;)
Squids are people who wipe out in turns ... UH OH :eek: :eek: How did you crash again ?? ;) Maybe it wasn't oil on the road ... maybe it was aluminum polish :D

You know I'm ribbin ya right Mike ?

------------------
Watch out where those Huskies go , Don't you eat that yellow snow ....

Adam

·
Registered
873 Posts
You better be kidding Adam or Ill fly to Quebec and bludgeon you to death with a Jug of that killer Maple Syrup.

------------------
Fear Oil.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Polishing polishing polishing... Yeah I've
done it. Frame, rims, swingarm. I agree
that it is a total pain in the ass to keep
clean. Humidity is definitely a factor.
I would get white discoloration on all the
polished areas b/c of oxidization. I had
to polish the thing every other week just
to keep it passable. I'll never do it again.
It's fun for about the first 4 hours and then
after that it sucks.

I know of a dude that polished his frame with
the air box off and let all the compound(s)
get down into the head and it took out the
valve seats and killed his ZX7. Dipsh!t.

IMO - if you live in any bit of a humid or wet
or rainy area - Foget it - unless ofcourse
you spend more time cleaning your bike then
riding it.

------------------
I really should be working...

·
Registered
873 Posts
Good info chris, just so everyone knows, Arizona has VERY low humidity.. its easy to keep stuff shiny and deep, if you are in Floride, i wouldnt advise on doing the polishing thing.. Gee, no wonder its so easy to keep shiny here!

------------------
Fear Oil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yo guys, to get to the maintenance part I have to cross the first bridge which is how to initially polish the thing. Give me details, I want to do it right. Thanks.

------------------

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Oh- Gee, sorry M23! Do a search on "polishing". You're welcome.

------------------
Heeeere piggy piggy...

G

·
Awwww go pop a Midol Tristan ! He's not being rude M23 he just gets like this every month :D :D

------------------
Watch out where those Huskies go , Don't you eat that yellow snow ....

Adam

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Actually, I thought I was being a little rude. But seriously, this topic has been visited often and in great detail, do the search. Unfortunately, the previous threads will be littered with my "helpful insight" as well.

------------------
Heeeere piggy piggy...

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Ok, I actually did something as Moderator
of this forum... Drum roll please...

Page 5 of How Do I Forum has a thread on
polishing with words of wisdom from Green
Ninja, self quoted as the "Polishing Fool".

It is a lot of work and I really personally
don't think the results are worth it alteast
in my neck of the woods - but hey - to each
his own.

Good luck M23.

Tristan - down boy! Good Dawg! :D

------------------
I really should be working...

G

·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tristan:
do the search.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Easier said than done - the search feature is still out of commission.

------------------
Pete
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."

1 - 20 of 26 Posts