Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ijust polished my frame on my 2000 gixxer 600, and damn it looks good. But I want to know if that section in the center of the bike can be polished. The part that is welded to the bottom of the frame, by the pegs. It is very porous and I want to know if that can be sanded down to be smooth so it can be polished. If there is a way, le me know thanks.

·
Registered
873 Posts
HARK, behold i am the Polishing fool!

Yes you can sand it down, hope you are a patient guy though....

Get a sanding flapper wheel and a drill, alot of 400 and 600 grit sandpaper and also a dremel with attachments for the nooks and crannies and in no time (about a week) you will have one side done. (this is assuming you ARE human, and can only take so much self abuse and only work for several hours at a time before requiring heavy medication for the psychosis that develops from this job.

It can be done, and to think, you have been graciously freed by Suzuki of having to chemically strip through some space aged polymer (designed for the heat shields of atmospheric re-entry vehicles) which every other manufacturer generously coats their frames with!!

NOTE: you MUST be VERY careful while using a drill mounted sanding flapper wheel, you can easily create "ripple" and end up having a sorry looking "wavy" frame. Be VERY respectful of the smoothness of the frame while "flapping". And be sure to finish with 1000 and/or 1200 grit (by hand) before polishing with green rouge on polishing wheel.

------------------
Fear Green.

[This message has been edited by GreenNinja (edited August 02, 2000).]

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was just thinking about something. Do you really want to grind a weld down? Sounds like that could weaken the frame. Don't know for sure, Like I said, just a thought!

------------------
95% of Harley Davidsons are still on the road today,
5% actually made it home!

Bryon Hart
Ocala, Fl
95 ZX-7

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I didn't see the word "grind" anywhere above, but you do have a point. That part of my VTR frame is thin enough that polishing thru that rough casting probably would make it even more flexy. Then again, most people who polish their frames really don't give a crap about chassis rigidity- it's all about styyyyle, baby!!! Kidding! I'm a kidder!

------------------
'98 Superhawk

·
Registered
873 Posts
Never "grind" anything on a frame. ESPECIALLY welds and such. I just use a little wire brush on a dremel to "clean" the areas along the welds and then simply polish them up with polishing wheel, the welds look pretty cool when they are polished also. There is a BIG difference between "smoothing off" sand cast surfaces and "grinding away" critical welds. I think a little common sense goes a long way here.

:rolleyes:

------------------
Fear Green.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I agree... do not grind any structural stuff such as those welds. :eek: That is only done on nuclear submarines. :rolleyes: ;) Trust me, I was a welder on a nuclear submarine in a former life. ;)

I'm responsible for OSHA compliance in a welding facility in my current life. :D

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

·
Registered
873 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by accordex2c:
Ok, I got everything polished. Now, do I need to apply a protectant or something, or a clear coat? i want it to retain the shiny look it has.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hahahahahah!
hahaha
HAHAHA

ehem...

sorry.

You are in for a long and friendly relationship with your frame now.
Go buy 'Mother's' Mag/Aluminum Wheel polish in the little container and some nice clean soft cloths.

When the frame gets "foggy" break out the mothers and have at it. Light pressure and FAST hand buffing will bring it back when needed.

Not a WHOLE lot of upkeep, but you will have to shine it up every so often. More often if the bike is not garaged.

------------------
Fear Green.

[This message has been edited by GreenNinja (edited August 06, 2000).]

·
Registered
83 Posts
Try something else besides Mothers. I found it one time while I was out shopping. Its called MAAS Polish. Works ten times easier and quicker than mothers. Trust me, I swear by Mothers for anything, but this stuff works wonders on my performance machine wheels.

------------------
95% of Harley Davidsons are still on the road today,
5% actually made it home!

Bryon Hart
Ocala, Fl
95 ZX-7

·
Registered
873 Posts
Yeah Wolfy, where do ya get it, i got PM's on my bike and sooner or later they will need to be shined up again.

(I agree, mothers is great but it can be tricky to get a good clean shine depending on the cloth you use)

------------------
Fear Green.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Another great metal polish to try is called Weenal (not sure on spelling) You can get it out of Summit Racing Catalog, and it works great on most metals, esp. when you have waited a little longer then you should have before polishing again.

------------------

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I think I got my MAAS at a Lowe's (home improvement store). Works great.

------------------
'98 Superhawk

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am interested in polishing a few small pieces but I am not very knowledgable when it comes to the process and the materials needed. Could someone please list the steps involved and the materials needed. Thanks.

------------------

1 - 15 of 15 Posts