Sportbike World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, i polished my wheels using the steps from a post on this forum...It must say they turned out pretty dayumm good, for my 1st time....
The steps included taping of my hubs/spokes, & applying paint stripper and using steel wool to remove the paint, in a nut shell..

My ? is this...I would like to polish my frame as well, however can i basically use the same technique?? or not....The only reason i ask,, is because i have this other file on how to polish a frame and its alot more in depth.
You need a buffer, like a sears sander/polisher, emery/tripoli compound, white rough, oven cleaner, etc..

This polishing file is alot different then the one i used for my wheels, as that was mainly masking tape, & kleen-strip paint thinner.....

Is it different to polish a frame -VS- wheels, or are these just TWO DIFFERNT METHODS IN DOING SO..????....:confused:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Basically the same method......you need the oven cleaner to strip the anodize off of the aluminum on the frame. If it is a painted frame, I am not sure. Also, you will want to use a power sander or buffer for any cast parts(dual action sander will work) Try to avoid sanding the weld beads, it will weaken them. I know if you search on SBN there is a step by step detailing of doing the frame, very long post, but the guy does not miss a thing

Using polishing compounds will really make the aluminum shine, try it on the wheels and I am sure you will see a difference.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Uglyangel,

Yea, my frame is painted, I was just wondering if I could use either process of polishing, but i guess your saying I should use the process you referred too, correct..as the other will not not be wok as well for my frame....corrrect...??? & btw, i do have the file of step, by step, for that.....thanxxxxx

1 - 3 of 3 Posts