Sportbike World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have officially polished to a semi-shine. I still need to run over the pieces with a super fine paper and then I need to buff them. Can anyone fillme in on what type of polishing buffer to use and what a decent one will cost. I can still see small sand paper lines in the aluminum and I believe I am now ready to get that mirror finish.

Thanks

------------------

·
Registered
873 Posts
I think i need to create a "How-to" on this one...

Get some 1000 and 1200 grit wet-or-dry paper. Using water, go over the "scratchy" areas VERY LIBERALLY with the 1000 grit and water, then use the 1200/water if you are worried about the scratches still being there. After this final sanding process you should have the result of a dull yet scratch free surface.

Go to a metal finishing supply house or polishing shop and get a full "brick" of green polishing rouge.

Go to Home Depot or Lowes, etc and get a few 7" soft cotton "sewn" polishing/buffing wheels. Get the chuck for these wheels if they dont come with them.

You can use a GOOD electric (NOT battery powered!) variable speed drill and the buffing wheel and work the area over with the rouge until you get the shine you are happy with. ("buff" the green brick untill you get an adequate amount of rouge on the buffer wheel, then buff the aluminum)

There is a small degree of individual "style" and technique to efficiently buffing aluminum, but it is nothing you cant figure out with a little practice.

If you lay on too much rouge it will build up on the work piece and "melt" and "blacken" very easily and can be annoying when it does this, but as long as you keep the "melted" black rouge at a minimum you shouldnt find the process very difficult.

------------------
Fear Green.

G

·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>I think i need to create a "How-to" on this one...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good Idea!

------------------
Whatever that little sheep said is a damn lie !!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have always done this:
Started by DA'ing or stripping the finish off
DA'ed with 150 until uniform.
DA'ed with 320 until uniform.
DA'ed with 500 until uniform.
Wet sanded with 600, then 800, then 1000, then 1200, and finally 1500-2000 (whatever I had)
Buy some Mothers Aluminum Mag Polish
Polish like crazy until it is a mirror.

The tools I used are; a DA (Dual Action sander), a die grinder with scotch brite pads (dressed up the welds), sanding block, high speed polisher with a fine wool pad. ALL the tools are air tools. I have some pics here on the bike photo page and more on my home page. I did my '99 ZX-9R, my '94 ZX-9R, and my friends '98 ZX-9R (blue one on my web page) I am going to do my brothers '94 900 RR this winter.

------------------

Kahuna's Home Page
ICQ # - 14578052

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sears sells a sander / polisher that works well. When you remove the sanding disc from the body you are left with a 1/2" dia threaded stud that works good with 6" dia buffing wheels. This unit has good torque and runs at a good RPM for polishing aluminum. I think it sells for around $50

------------------

·
Registered
5 Posts
IF you want to remove the anodizing on a alluminum part you need some Easy Off heavy duty oven cleaner, news paper, tape, sponges, and a bucket.

Tape off any part you dont want to get easy off on.
Spray on the easy off on the anodized alluuminum.
Let sit for 20-30 min.
Wipe off with wet sponge.
Apply easy off a second time, this time the alluminum should get all black and nasty looking after 20-30 min. wipe clean with water then look for any spot that didnt discolor and reaply the easy off.
you may have to do it a few times. If it didnt turn black you need to strip off a clear coat of paint(not very likely most bikes today have a anodized frame.
Then start wet sanding with 600, then 1000, then 1500, finish with 2000. next machine buff or use lots of mothers polish to bring it to a mirror.
you will need to sand down any cast area to get it to polish lots of work but it looks kinda trick with polished areas next to cast kinda like a works bike.
Vist www.bird12472,sportbikeworld.com for my polishing page.

------------------

1 - 6 of 6 Posts