Sportbike World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that one of the guys recommends a polish because it is alkali. We'll I'm sorry folks but alkalis are no better for your polished pieces than acids. Infact, they may even be worse. Sodium Hydroxide is an alkali. It EATS ALUMINUM. As does ammonia, another alkali. Infact all anhydrous chemicals are hard on metals, and many of the substances used in polishes are anhydrous. Having said that does the manufacturer state the pH of his product? or just state that it is alkali because they use an alkali component. Carnauba, which is accepted as being the brightest wax in the world is acidic. that has it's own set of problems, but it doesn't stop it from being useful to show polishers. Though it is of little use to museums.
I suppose I ought to tell you a little about me to qualify my statements.
I am a professional polisher. I own English Custom Polishing.
a custom polishing and chrome plating shop.
I also make my own polishes.
The antique range have the ph rating on the website.
No acids, no anhydrous, no alkali.
Basically pH neutral.
Check out the photogallery at www.englishcustompolishing/usca/gallery.html
Oh, by the way, I use a solution of 15% sodium hydroxide to strip anodizing off aluminum. it takes seconds!I hope it's not in your polish!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Polisher,

A significant part of my business is polishing, but I also do engine building, tune-ups, etc. I have arrived at a pretty darn good procedure to get the aluminum polished out (material removal), but the buffing has always been a topic for discussion. I've tried an armload of products and have even played around with my own concoctions. But I must admit that your buffing products are, by a wide margin, the best I've ever used. It isn't about 'elbow grease either' as there seems to be a chemical thing going on. The protecting properties are especially effective. Great products. I'm presently testing some of the various products you offer to hopefully select the best combination for bike frames, wheels, etc.

Anyone wanting a truly great line of polishing (buffing) products, you can't do any better than English Custom Polishing. [ englishcustompolishing.com/usca/index.html ]

Check my 'View my photo album' for my own bike recently buffed out with English Custom Polishing products.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts