Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a couple weeks ago a riding buddy of mine got pulled over for having her visor up, i thought to myself this cop is full of it he can not give a ticket for this, there is no way in hell it would stick.

well this past wednesday i was riding my bike with my visor up and sure enough as i past a BIKE COP he dam near lost his blance trying to get his harley to move so he could pull me over. i knew i had not done anything wrong so i did everything he asked.

he got this realy pissed off attitude and proceeded to lecture me about having my visor down at all times. i am sorry but if it is hot i am going to put up my visor. it is just like saying you can not take the doors off of your jeep, or you can not roll the windows down in your cage. this really really pissed me off and i just wanted to know your thoughts on the subject

feb

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
In arizona, there is no helmet law, but there is an eye protection law. You can have your visor up if you have eye protection on underneath. Not only is it the law, its a damn good idea. My friend learned the hard way a few weeks ago, and had to have a splinter removed from his eyeball.

The laws the law, and this one is a damn good idea.

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
In Cali....

In Cali there is a helmet law. That is it though really. You can have your visor up, or not even have one at all.

There should be a law about wearing a tank top, shorts and sandals on a bike.... but that's another story. :D

·
Registered
391 Posts
In Florida we also have the eye protection law. I think you'd be OK if wearing sunglasses under the visor. I couldn't ride without some form of eye protection. Years ago I got caught in the rain when I had ridden off without my glasses. (I had a 3/4 helmet at the time) Anyway, I had to stop as the rain felt like needles hitting my eyeballs and it hurt like hell!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Louisiana is the same way. No helmet law, but you do have to wear "proper" eye wear. I don't know if regular off-the-shelf sunglasses fall under the "proper" category. From all of the bugs on my visor and hearing the others bounce off of the helmet, there is no way I would ride without eye protection. I guess the guy in this story has reflexes quick enough to dodge bugs, rocks, and other airborne debris.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
NEW one to me.

It must be something about EYE PROTECTION, but in my case I wear glasses (in fact hardened glass ones) & I am sure if others had different tinted or even clean protective eye wear that would be the answer.
STILL I would want to know how the law or rules stand on this one.
Most I keep my visor up is just one click from the bottom, when I am in town on the slow city streets & it is HOT!!!!

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
I'm with Smitty, I keep mine down unless I am going about 30 or under, and then only if it is hot out. I've never heard of the eye protection laws, but I do think they are good. I wear contacts, so riding without anything covering my eyes would just blow them out, which is not conducive to my "rubber side down" style of riding.
Bugs aren't too bad out here, but when I was in Indiana...man, there's nothing like a good old Midwestern swarm of bugs to make you keep your face, neck, body, arms, legs, etc. covered. It was especially bad at night. I would assume it's the same in any country area. Near the cities it wasn't so bad.
The other thing I hated was wind! Again, the contacts thing. Just north of Indianapolis there is little to nothing to slow the wind down at all. I'm not a small guy, and it used to blow me all over the road. At least out here there are hills and stuff.
Oh well, rant over...Ride Safe!!

·
Registered
386 Posts
spicersh said:
I'm with Smitty, I keep mine down unless I am going about 30 or under, and then only if it is hot out. I've never heard of the eye protection laws, but I do think they are good. I wear contacts, so riding without anything covering my eyes would just blow them out, which is not conducive to my "rubber side down" style of riding.
Bugs aren't too bad out here, but when I was in Indiana...man, there's nothing like a good old Midwestern swarm of bugs to make you keep your face, neck, body, arms, legs, etc. covered. It was especially bad at night. I would assume it's the same in any country area. Near the cities it wasn't so bad.
The other thing I hated was wind! Again, the contacts thing. Just north of Indianapolis there is little to nothing to slow the wind down at all. I'm not a small guy, and it used to blow me all over the road. At least out here there are hills and stuff.
Oh well, rant over...Ride Safe!!
on a totally not very related subject... but that post reminded me, last night i took a locust, or a june bug - who knows the right pinky... fack!.. that hurt like nobodies business, and i still can't feel my pinky from the middle knuckle to the tip, its just tingly when you touch it, no real feeling... stupid freaking bugs... just wait til the love bugs come out in spring.. bah..

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
cmd954 said:

on a totally not very related subject... but that post reminded me, last night i took a locust, or a june bug - who knows the right pinky... fack!.. that hurt like nobodies business, and i still can't feel my pinky from the middle knuckle to the tip, its just tingly when you touch it, no real feeling... stupid freaking bugs... just wait til the love bugs come out in spring.. bah..
LOL That sucks!!

I think my worst one was a bumble-bee, big fat juicy one, right in the throat at about 35-40mph. That sucked ass! ANytime I rode outside the city after that I was tucked in behind the screen (or as well as I could being a 6'2" fatass on an F4)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Was riding in Chicago a few hours after it rained... had my visor up and a wet leaf ( yes, a leaf ) flew in and smacked me in the face. I closed my eye but I had the red outline of a leaf on the left side of my face for the rest of the day. Hurt like hell. Now I wear glasses if I'm going to have my visor up.

-quikie

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
I just remembered a story about a guy I worked with. He rode a Harley, but I didn't hold it against him, nobody is perfect. Well in typical Harley fashion he was out one day riding in his brain bucket and he got hit in the face by a bat! He said it sounded like someone slapped him in the face with a handful of lunchmeat. I was on the floor after that...just the visual of that and then thinking about the sound....:barf:

·
Registered
87 Posts
It depends on your state/local laws. Eye protection is definitely a good idea. I don't know how people ride above 40mph without their eyes watering so bad you can't see. Like Kevlar, I'm in AZ, we get some wicked dust (more like dirt) storms out here that will make you blind. Got caught once during monsoon season without my full face helmet and just had on my wrap around Bolles. Got a mouth and nose full of dirt on my 7mile ride home.

Be Safe!
-R

·
Registered
182 Posts
When I ride I have the whole deal on: jacket, gloves, boots (and now some sweet leather pants :)) but I always get pegged in the throat by bugs! Never fails. I need one of the hockey goalie flaps for my helmet before my larynx gets crushed.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
lor tim. Try a LARGE bandana like the cowboys did & do.

Also when it is COLD I have the bandana from just under my nose to the back of the head so I breath into said bandana & it will not fog up the inside of my visor or my glasses, ALSO it stops cold air from working its way up into the helmet. Lot of uses for a bandana & carry one in the small trunks of all my m/cs or will have one folded in my jacket pocket.
Yrs of riding experience teaches one small tricks. LOL

·
Registered
530 Posts
Sorry to hear!

But I have a few suggestions for you.

1) Go to your local County or State Law Library
2) PA DOT web site relative to "traffic law" / "vehicle codes"

I would venture to guess that PA has a law such as FLORIDA, MISSISSIPPI to name a few. From being a former Public Safety Officer, this is my opinion:

<b>"Whereas it is not mandated by statute that any operator of a motor driven cycle to wear a protective helmet or device. Whereas, it is mandated by statute that any operator of a motor driven cycle wear protective eye wear to accomplish the following:</b>

1) To mitigate such an occurence, that the operator of said vehicle not to be distracted, inattentive or injured while in operation, to result in such an action to cause or be involved in a traffic collision.

2) Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah!

This is not a quote nor a paraphrase. But an opinion to a position of law through legislative means as to what may be written in PA law!

Hope This Helps! :cool:

Johnny
Team No Limit Racing &#169 1996-2002
http://www.teamnolimitracing.com

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
o don't get me wrong it is a Great idea to have eye protection what i am getting at is the fact that the cop pulled me over when i was at a DEAD STOP and blocked my path so i would notmove and proceded to tell me to pull off the road, he did not even see me move or anything i can not stand the wind at anything above 40 especially in the freakin rain o well:rolleyes:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I like having my visor up on city streets...except when cagers spit fumes like a forest fire..then i get angry. But 30 and under, i have lid up and anything above that i cannot stand having it up, so down it goes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
A few years ago a friend of mine was riding down a local main street with his visor up, at the posted speed limit of 30mph. He also had a passenger that had his visor up. Rode by a cop and he did the standard U turn, sirens, get your Punk A$$ to the side of the road. The cop actually got the big black traffic book out to find the law about eye protection and write my buddy a ticket. Once he found it, the law read that you have to have eye protection if your going over 35mph. After reading this the cop quickly got in his car and took off. Not even an, oops sorry about that. :confused: :finger:

·
Registered
848 Posts
Well, I am the said "friend" who got pulled over for this the first time who then warned everyone to watch out for this law. :eek: PA law states that one must wear a DOT helmet and "appropriate" eye wear. This eye wear is supposed to be shatterproof lenses of some sort, or a faceshield below eye level.

My face shield was open, and technically above eye level, but I had my head tilted at an angle so that I was protected. I wouldn't have even had my shield open if it wasn't for the fact that it was 10:30pm and I'd been on my bike fairly solidly since 7pm and I had such a smattering of bugs that I was afraid I'd never see an animal come in front of me... I don't even like having my face shield open unless it's under 30mph and VERY warm. I managed to get away with a written warning, but I still maintain that I was targeted along with the other person with whom I was riding just because we were in a wealthy area at night on bikes... He didn't get pulled over b/c he wasn't in any sort of violation.

I'm all for wearing eye-protection, as I wear contacts when I ride, but if it's under 30mph or at a stand still, I don't see why you can't have your face shield open...

·
Registered
77 Posts
[qoute]
I still maintain that I was targeted along with the other person with whom I was riding just because we were in a wealthy area at night on bikes... He didn't get pulled over b/c he wasn't in any sort of violation.
[/quote]

Yes, I was the other person who was with her. I was in front of her and she started getting WAAAAAAAY far behind me. I was like "WTF???". Then this car flys up on my ass and stays there. I did not realize this was a cop. I maintained my speed at about 7 mph over the speed limit. All of a sudden the car flys up next to me...and it's a cop!... and checks me out from head to toe for about 30 seconds. Then pulls ahead of me cause I was doing nothing wrong.

There was a guy in an Exploder that had just passed me going way faster than I was going and the cop barely gave him a second glance. Saturn was doing about 10 mph UNDER the limit when they pulled her over.

Cops like this give them all a bad name (just like squidly riders give US a bad name).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts