flash my lights at you!!" :cool:

Paalleeeeze - It's more of a scare tatic
than any real threat... I don't see cops
getting as crazy on the road as say... me on
a Sunday... But who really cares anyway
they're in England. In addition the radio
is still the only thing you really have to
worry about - IMO.

Personally I'd rather see more chicks on R1s!

John John John - You cancel that subscription
yet?? :D

Chris

------------------
I really should be working...

[This message has been edited by chris_y2k_r1 (edited October 05, 2000).]

#6 ·
I remember seeing a cop in Austin putting his foot down while riding a Harley police bike very slowly around a turn, as if he thought that he could catch the bike with his foot if something happened. If you gave a police dpt R1's to ride it is a certainty that there would be a large increase in police fatalities.

------------------

#8 ·
Actually, this isn't the first hig-powered sportbike the plods have had. The Met used to have a couple of tricked-out Fireblades if memory serves.

As a rule, U.K. motorcycle plods are a lot more highly trained than their American counterparts. They have to go through extensive riding courses, etc. before they can get out on the street. Chances are, the plods on those things have a very good chance of staying on longer than most of the people they'd be chasing. :)

And as far as American cops not riding hard, I have a couple of pals who are motor officers and who certainly don't hang about on their sport bikes. Can't speak for the cops I don't know, though.

------------------
Austin Bikers on the Web

#9 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sportbikeworld:
While I like the bike, I think it is more a publicity stunt than anything else.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is true. I don't think this will take off. Besides the Hayabusa would make a better police bike. You still can't carry a dozen doughnuts and coffee on either.

------------------
You get the best thrills on two wheels!

Damn rice burners!

#10 ·
That article is a British article correct? That is not a US officer is it?

BTW, If 748_abuser can carry a dozen donuts in the tail of the Orange Duck then I think the 'Busa should have room if they decide to use them. :D :p

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

#11 ·
i also remeber of a place in the south east us.. georgia i think, that had a couple of buells as police bikes... i also remember of reading about the blades across the pond.

a friend that is a former marine, that now races (very well) in the mra told me that in japan (his last station) they have some kamikaze cops on bikes whose sole job is to stop bikes.

i agree that its mostly a scare tactic & the radio along with helicopters are the only real threat.

i dont know about other spots in the us, but in denver the riders are very well trained. i was talking w/a bike cop when i lived in denver.. something like 2 or 3 yrs on the force before you could apply plus a very difficult test (at the time he was turning tighter corners on his big as bike than i was on my katana in a parking lot.. fig 8's in 2 parking spaces), w/maint. tests every 6 months.

------------------

#12 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Squidwannabe:
Watch out HIS_SUZUKI!!! ;)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> LMAO :D

They don't have radio's or radar on those bikes. They have to depend on the slower partner who still rides the Beemers.

Here in San Antonio, they past 4 days we have had 3 motorcycle accident/fatalities. The first 2 were killed after being struck by drunk drivers, from the rear. Their bikes were stuck in the grill of the vehicles. You would have to see the pictures on the news. The last fatality was a drunk Harley rider, who wiped out on an exit ramp.

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
40 tickets now. I need a Hayabusa!

#13 ·
:mad: :( of all the traffic laws i despise & hate & i think are stupid.. drinking & driving/riding is one of the few that i feel is legitimate & worth tax payers money to stop. i hope those 2 get a loooong sentence. & for those of you that do drink & ride/drive stop b4 its to late.

------------------

#14 ·
I thought manufacturers did not sell "big" bikes in the UK anymore, something along the same lines with not being able to go over 300km/h. maybe im wrong. thats usually how it is.

Trevor

------------------

#15 ·
Hi, a British perspective on th subject...

Over here, the police tend to only chase if there's a helicopter near by (in the vacinity I think you "guys" call it :) (sorry, the language has made me laugh since the dukes of hazzard!)

In huddersfield they can have a chopper in the air in about 4.5 mins and then your screwed so if your gonna run, you have to be walking within 3 mins of the chase which means dumping whatever your on / in within that time frame - not good - if you can hide your vehicle and walk away its okay, but on the motorway its hard - I have only run twice - once on a bike, once in a car, the time on the bike I was pulled for a cracke number plate - it being a freinds bike I couldn't remember the number so the cops say's - you follow me to your hous - I'd given him a flase name and address cos i wasn't completely legal - I followed him to a roundabout, when he turned left - i went straight on and then to another roundabout to a public park, dumped the bike in some bushes and then walked home - which wasn't so bad.

The time in the car - I was on the motorway speeding, at 100mph, and overtook a cop, I took the next exit, killed the lights did a left, carried on past two more and then did a right a parked up in side street and waited 1.5 hrs before continuing.

Cops on R1's over here I guess is a publicity stunt, although if it is true, then most sportscar wannabeas had better look out - lets face it if your doing 130 - 140 mph - your gonna get nabbed!, I guess as far as bikers are concerned, the cops may be more understanding riding these things around, although I would imagine it depends what police force they are members of - in the north they are total wankers and wouldn;t understand if yopu hit a powerband and popped a wheelie, without meaning to.

I guess the only way nowadyas over her to not get caught is to be bloody careful and to keep your eyes open, unmarked cars are easy to spot, but not at 150mph + , and if your caught doing 100mph + you get banned form driving - I know!

Cheers

------------------
Be Happy,
James

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.