Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to pose a hypothetical question - let's say you were out riding one day and got pulled over for having an illegally mounted plate. The officer is cool about it, tells you it's illegal and to get it fixed, and you're off on your merry way. No ticket. Then let's say a week or so later you get pulled over again for the same thing, because after all, you're a dilligent sportbiker and ordered the fender eliminator kit/undertail, but alas, it hasn't arrived yet! Does the second cop have any way of knowing that you were pulled over for the illegal plate the week before? Does the first officer have to make record of it or anything somehow?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Dont know..
But it brings to my mind that it is a fact that points stay on your record for 2 yrs. But they stay in your police file for more. I dont know for how much more but i am assuming 2 to 3 yrs more than the first 2 yrs.
Also you should bring this up in court if need be because your court records are your police records.

·
Registered
625 Posts
no, they have no way to know that you got a warning unless you offer the info...even when you get a ticket "taken under advisment" as long as youre pulled over by another agency they wont know.....Cops have whats called a "run sheet" that pretty much accounts for thier time while on the road...warnings and other things arent thrown on there becasue there wasnt a citation given out..now they do run your plate but that dont mean shit...cops run various plates all day...its not like your credit where the more you run it the shittier it is nor is it kept in some sort of log in a computer somewhere unless its flagged as a stolen vehicle....you should be good to go bro...just dont get stopped by the same cop then youll be in trouble...lol...and yes they do remember!

·
Registered
699 Posts
It is actually good this way. Because, I have had a ticket for speeding in Houston and in Galveston. Had deferred judification in both counties at the same time. Don't know how I got away with it but I did!

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,322 Posts
wickedrr said:
Dont know..
But it brings to my mind that it is a fact that points stay on your record for 2 yrs. But they stay in your police file for more. I dont know for how much more but i am assuming 2 to 3 yrs more than the first 2 yrs.
Also you should bring this up in court if need be because your court records are your police records.
actually in police records/files they go back as far as 10 - 12 yrs via their little computers in the car... (just learned that this summer thanks to my brother-in-law who is a cop)

also the "defense" of having the stuff on order but not yet received is not a valid one to get you off a ticket for equipment violation if already warned... they see it as you are NOT to drive it until it is legal... not that you are ok if you are waiting for the parts to correct the problem..

I would assume like the rest, verbal warnings aren't recorded for others to pull up and see but I'll be sure to be askin next time I see my B-in-L :p

E.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I know in maine warnings are not recorded. but if you got pulled over by the same officer again your gonna get a ticket I would imagine.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
does it matter...because it is still illegal....

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Depends on the PD. A few years back I got pulled over by a sheriff deputy for taking off to fast at a light (???) She said I might have been speeding, and well She might be right (niether of us knew for sure) to make a long story short, she told me to watch out and that was the end.
6 months later I get pulled over by a city cop, this time I was speeding (70 in a 55) He asks me If I've gotten a ticked for speeding before. I told him its been about 3 years (which is true, and I felt no need to mention getting a verbal warning). He goes back to run my plates, comes back and says that he was going to let me go, but seing how I was recently warned and lied about it, I was getting a ticket. Not much of a point in splitting hairs, you win some you loose some.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
He asked you if you got a speeding ticket and you said no....how is that lying if you only got a warning?? I think it depends on if the cop wants to give you shit or not.

Jen

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Like I said, there was no point in arguing. Technically I wasnt lying. But pointing it out wasnt going to make a difference. In retrospect the whole thing seems abit shady.
I was in school during this time, and working a full time job. I'd wake up at 6am and be lucky to get home at 9pm. Sort of a perpetual state of being broke, tired, annoyed, and stressed out. The only thing I had to look forward to was riding back and forth to school, which is a few miles out of town. The road is wide (4lanes) rarely traveled, has one good corner. Its limited at 55, but its pretty accepted that the "real" speed limit is 70, since there are no houses on the sides. Anywho, coming from school and going to work, I got on the gas, and past the first of 2 cars in front of me. For some reason, I couldnt get in front of the second car, so I sped up some more and passed him. I slowed down to 70 and kept on my way. Half a mile down the road I see a cop coming my way, I hit the brakes, he passes me, turns around and pulls me over. Tells me an offduty officer saw me going over 90.
Well, that he did, but I wouldnt have been if he would have just let me pass him. Thats not the part that got to me. From the time I passed the offduty guy, to the time I go pulled over maybe a minute has passed. That means police have a 30 second responce time? Please. They were waiting for me. Hey its a small town, and sportbikes look bad. The guy wrote me a ticket for 70 in a 50. I pointed out that the speed limit was 55. So he wrote me another one for 75 in a 55. I really wanted to make him show up in court and prove him a liar, but I knew better.

·
Registered
845 Posts
a-ron said:
Just want to pose a hypothetical question - let's say you were out riding one day and got pulled over for having an illegally mounted plate. The officer is cool about it, tells you it's illegal and to get it fixed, and you're off on your merry way. No ticket. Then let's say a week or so later you get pulled over again for the same thing, because after all, you're a dilligent sportbiker and ordered the fender eliminator kit/undertail, but alas, it hasn't arrived yet! Does the second cop have any way of knowing that you were pulled over for the illegal plate the week before? Does the first officer have to make record of it or anything somehow?
When I was a police dispatcher our dept didn't have in car computers, so the officers had to radio in for plate checks. If the plate was called it in as a traffic stop/incident (theft from veh, etc), a record was maintained in the database (CAD system: Computer Aided Dispatch) and a short narative of what took place gets typed, whether citation was issued or verbal warning. Whenever there was a plate that had been called in before (recorded for traffic stop/incident) we could run a history of traffic stops/incidents involving that plate #.

as for Vash's incident with sheriff then city, some municipalities have a central dispatch that dispatches for mutiple police agencies and may have had a similar CAD system.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts