Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not complete BS, only partial.

Aircraft really do pick up signals from RADAR guns. I'm sure they don't auto-arm missiles or anything like that, the detection on part of the aircraft is legit.

It also wouldn't pick up the aircraft from that far away.

It is definitely a riot, though.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Complete BS but entertaining
Of course it's BS. Creative though. Sidewinders (AIM-9) are air-to-air heat-seeking missiles, so they track primarily using infrared sensors, not radar. Obviously, they would not be able to fire autonomously. And aircraft operating on exercises like that would most likely be carrying inert ordinance, or at least not have the ability to launch them.

Most police radars don't even register speeds over 200mph, do they?

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
ha, hostle radar. Good find.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most police radars don't even register speeds over 200mph, do they?
Most hand-held radar guns measure 3 digit speeds up to 199MPH by indicating you have passed the 100mph mark with an astrik (or such marking), followed by the last two numbers.

For example... *29 would be 129MPH.

300mph is quite unlikely.

As for the "Inert" comment... being NATO, I wouldn't know, but it is my understanding that US aircraft flying exercises over populated areas aren't even allowed to carry inert ordinance due to risk of one hitting cars/houses/etc were something to go wrong.

The plane would still pick up a radar gun signal, though. (were it close enough to do so.) ;)

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
As for the "Inert" comment... being NATO, I wouldn't know, but it is my understanding that US aircraft flying exercises over populated areas aren't even allowed to carry inert ordinance due to risk of one hitting cars/houses/etc were something to go wrong.
Usually aircraft carry an AIS pod that allows it to "target" without actually using the weapon seekers, thus letting it carry ordinance for an authentic "balance" without putting the general populace at risk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts