Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got new tires 3 weeks ago..... today i see i have a nail in the rear. so i pluged it. it's fine..... should i go buy a new tire. or just ride on this one ???? thanks for your help !!!! z1000 2005

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
bulldogboogers said:
...should i go buy a new tire. or just ride on this one ????...
The one's been hashed-out more times than I can recall. If you do a search, you'll find lots of info.

FTR, I'm in favour of plugging, if done from the inside with a "thumb-tack" plug.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Believe me I’m no mechanic, and I didn’t even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I wouldn’t want to trust a plug in one of my bike tires. That would make me nervous as hell!:eek:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Even though a plug might be just fine and nothing would ever happen, I wouldn't use one. In the back of my mind I would always be second guessing that tire, and with everything else there is to worry about when riding it just isn't worth it.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

Cookeetree and I feel the same way. The nightmare stories against plugging tires must have been started by Dunlop, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Metzeler, and Avon!

You won't want to push the tire to triple-digit speeds on a hot racetrack in southern Florida in the summer, but there is no reason not to have tires patched as mentioned above and just keep an eye on it. Who has the kind of money to purchase replacements each time one encounters a nail, screw, or tack?

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Blue Jays said:
...The nightmare stories against plugging tires must have been started by Dunlop, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Metzeler, and Avon!...
:laughing:

I think the nightmare stories are true, but are based on patching technology that dates back to when Jesus got a flat on his donkey.

FTR, my last rear tyre was patched about a month after I bought it. The patch never failed during the life of the tyre, including during numerous runs up to 100mph.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi Cookeetree-

I've used plugs on probably three occasions and they've all been serviceable and performance of the bike was virtually unaffected. If I picked-up a nail in the center of the tread on fairly new tires...I'm sure not going to toss them away when they've got thousands of good miles left on them.

If the sidewall was threatened, that would be a different story. If it's in the center of the tread, I'm plugging it and simultaneously saving myself some pretty pennies.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Blue Jays said:
...If the sidewall was threatened, that would be a different story. If it's in the center of the tread, I'm plugging it and simultaneously saving myself some pretty pennies...
Yeah, there's def some things to take into consideration.

Age of the tyre: If it's just about f*cked, might as well toss it.

Position of the puncture: In the sidewall or too close to the sidewall and it's a bin job.

Use of bike: Gonna race it? Get a new tyre. Just commuting or socially riding? A patch should suffice.

Of course, there are those who will never be happy with a patch. As with many things in life, to each his own.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
depends on how hard you ride and what bike you have. If you have a cruiser style bike, patch and it drive safe. Sports bike riders, I wouldn't lean too much or go to fast on a compromised tire.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok thanks gang !!! i will get a new tire on it this week, last night i took it for alittle 25 mile spin, and in the back of my mine i was always thinking about the tire wondering if it was going to blow !!! thanks again..... bulldogboogers

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
bulldogboogers said:
ok thanks gang !!! i will get a new tire on it this week, last night i took it for alittle 25 mile spin, and in the back of my mine i was always thinking about the tire wondering if it was going to blow !!! thanks again..... bulldogboogers

I would always have the notion about a patch in a tire in the back of my mind. It bites, but I always replace them. Like Cookie said "To each his own!". I guess.

Maybe you can send yur old one to Blue Jays. :twofinger

·
Registered
24 Posts
truth about plugging tires.

I work for firestone we wont plug anything we patch wich is the thumbtack like plug on the inside.in my expierence ive had up to 3 plugs in my back tire never had a problem.
but if you buy firestone or bridgestone car h v z speed rated tire we CAN plug them.but its at the customers option.if the customer wants we HAVE to replace a speed rated tire with a new one.
the integrity of a speed rated tire is no good if punctured.
now i would think if that wasnt true why would firestone give away a new tire that can be patched.
obviously sport bikes have speed rated tires.Im going to try to get a video we have of a non speed rated tire at 100 vs a speed rated tire at 100 the disortion is unreal it looks so unsafe it may keep you from ever buying cheap tires for youre cage.the tire actually goes triangle shaped! when on a slow speed video.
sorry for rambling but i hope it shades light.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I agree with most. It depends on your riding style. I had a rear Dunlop get punctured with 300 miles on it. It was plugged and patched and then taken off of the bike. I replaced it anyway because of the riding I do. I'm very close to Deal's Gap and the mountains so I ride alot of curves and ride them pretty hard. That being said, if I were still riding my VFR I wouldn't hesitate to ride it with a plugged/patched rear tire. Personally I would never use a patched front tire. They are a cheap price to pay for the security you might say.

For most riding I wouldn't have a problem with a patched rear tire.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I plug my tires and take them off. They become spares, for those times when I need a new set, but cant or dont want to pay for one right away. So long as you keep it under 100mph, and properly inflated, the plug should hold fine (the thubtack looking kind). But if you are thinking about doing any roadracing its just not worth it. A new rear tire is only $150 or so, a new bike is thouthands, and lets not even mention the medical bills.
The part that really scares me is not the plug giving, but rather how it would give, its sort of like the difference between tubed and tubeless tires. Tubed tire fail right away, they go from 30psi to 0. Tubeless leak slowly. I had a rear tire (tubeless of course) deflate in the middle of a pretty fast corner. I knew something was wrong (could tell what, I thought my rear shock busted) but maintaining control of the bike wasnt a problem.
With a plug, the hole is first bored out to a pretty good size. I'm afraid that if and when that plug gave the tire would deflate immidiatly. That might be hard to control.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks guys you definitely know a thing or too about tires thanks for your help.!! so just to be on the safe side i will go out this week and have some new rubber put on that back rim. i was talking to my wife this morning about it and she doesn't ride at all and even she suggested for me to go get a new tire.we also have 1 truck & 2 cars and i can't remember of having to get a tire fixed due to a screw in the tire.well if i did it has been years ago. but as soon as i get a motorcycle and put on new rubber i get a screw in the rear tire,so go figure !!!darn what are the odds ???just my bad luck i guess !!! thanks again for all the feed-back........bulldogboogers

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts