Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I'm new to this page and had a question about plugging a hole in my rear tire. I had a small nail in the tread groove not the actual contact (surface) area of the tire. I had it plugged today and it seems fine. Is there anything I should be aware of with this plug, I do take the bike up over 140mph quite often. Thanks in advance

------------------

·
Registered
167 Posts
This is one of those topics such as to lube or not lube a chain, which oil to use, etc., that always come up and you'll get a variety of advice.

Some will say never ride on a plugged tire any further than to get to a tire shop to replace it.

Some say that a properly repaired tire is OK but loses one speed rating.

Me? I've ridden 1,000+ miles on a tire that I patched on the interior (not just a plug) because it got a nail when it was nearly brand new. I replaced it a little earlier than I would have otherwise. But I didn't (and wouldn't) trust it at 140 mph. Hell, that's academic, however. I don't even own a bike right now that will DO 140 mph.

------------------

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
if you ride a damaged tire (i have in college, but wouldn't now that i'm not a broke college student), get it repaired from the inside. also, be careful of the pressures in your tires (a good lesson for anyone).

------------------
Tony

00 GSX-R750-yellow & black--break-in sucks!!!
88 FZR400-krylon black
94 CBR600F2--sold

P

·
0 Posts
I agree that this topic is debated by many, and I have heard of guys running hard and long with as many as three plugs in one tire with no problems. Me, uh-uh. I'd replace the tire as soon as possible, but that's just me and my worrisome self.

------------------
Pete
Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
503 Posts
i did a track school on a pluged tire & it held up.. but didnt push it on the street. i was going to buy new tires for the sunday races but i crashed. now i got 2 more plugs (read my @#$ post in daily rider) & am shopping for new tires as i type this.

------------------

·
Registered
28 Posts
I remembered this thread from sometime back and wanted to reply.

I plugged a hole in my rear tire the same way that I have done on car tires for years. I have never had a problem with a car tire being plugged, but on my Ninja, the plug failed. :mad:

Kind of a scary story. I took my customary weekend ride through the swamps of Eastern NC. I had been going much faster, but realized that something was wrong with the bike when I felt it twitch at 70 MPH. It felt like I had run through a rut in the pavement. I didn't remember seeing a rut, and I slowed down to find that the rear tire was going flat. :eek: It was totally flat by the time that I stopped and had actually broken the bead on the tire.

I was 30 minutes from civilization in either direction and my cell phone could not get a signal. 3 hours later a rollback truck arrived and picked up the bike.

I wanted to offer this story as a word of warning to anyone wanting to plug their tire. I don't think that I will do it again.

------------------
John E. Dawson
'87 Ninja 600R
http://home.interpath.net/banker/ninjapage.htm

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, I'm still riding on that same plugged tire. I have put about 1500 miles on it and havent had any problems. I am planning on polishing the lips of my rims and will buy new tires then, (if it makes it)
Darren

------------------

·
Registered
582 Posts
I personally WOULDN'T ride on a plugged tire...It's only good to 80mph with a plug, so unless you
JUST USE YOUR BIKE TO PUTT AROUND TOWN, buy yourself a new tire...I picked up a screw in a BRAND NEW MEZ4, last year and just got a new tire...Yes it does suck!!!But so does being dead!!!!Jimmy G

------------------

·
Registered
987 Posts
I've ridden plugged tires for more than 2k miles with no problems - however, I won't sustain a speed more than 80 on a plug and I won't ever go past 100 or so, so having a plugged tire takes away from your enjoyment of riding. If you've got money, write it off and get a new one, otherwise milk it, but don't push.

------------------

·
Registered
364 Posts
tire plugging

thanx for input. I might as well plug it and work on burnouts for a couple of weeks. only 3000 mi on 'em(D207'S). was saving for new pipe ,but its gotta roll first! blackkaw

·
Registered
364 Posts
tire plugging

thanx for input. I might as well plug it and work on burnouts for a couple of weeks. only 3000 mi on 'em(D207'S). was saving for new pipe ,but its gotta roll first! blackkaw

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
My opinion

I see no problem riding on a plugged tire for normal street use. A plug should handle that. If it doesn't, your skill level will hopefully make recovery possible. Personally, I would never push it. You have got to be out of your f-in mind to take something that you know is less than 100% to 140mph. If I rode with you before and you did this, I would never ride with you again. I have enough dead friends.

Consider this- at that speed, your tires are your life. If you lose one, any chance for recovery is limited to a miracle. There are enough variables out there on the street to deal with, why introduce another? :confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts