Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my new undertail on the R6. Now I need to place the license plate somewhere. If this photo goes through this particullar R6 is exactly like my R6, except for the logos on the rear sides. I would appreciate everybodys opinion on where to mount the plate.

·
Registered
627 Posts
My plate is mounted in front of the rear wheel @ the same place the rear fender is attached. I drilled two small holes in the fender, attached the plate, the reattached the fender to the cross piece on the swing arm. I've been pulled over twice & haven't had the police say anything about the plate. I've the same bike as in the picture.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Try mounting it to your exhaust pipe. I fabricated a bracket for my zx9-r and mounted an led light above the plate to make it legal.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
R6steve said:
My plate is mounted in front of the rear wheel @ the same place the rear fender is attached. I drilled two small holes in the fender, attached the plate, the reattached the fender to the cross piece on the swing arm. I've been pulled over twice & haven't had the police say anything about the plate. I've the same bike as in the picture.
Does your plate scrape the tire hugger at all? I am trying to figure a way to mount it like you did, I just need to come up with a way to light it up! I all ready have a blue neon strip but I do not want any blue neon under my bike. Do you know if there is a light strip of any kind for license plates for this purpose?

·
Registered
627 Posts
YZFr6-TX said:
Does your plate scrape the tire hugger at all? I am trying to figure a way to mount it like you did, I just need to come up with a way to light it up! I all ready have a blue neon strip but I do not want any blue neon under my bike. Do you know if there is a light strip of any kind for license plates for this purpose?
No, it's attached to the hugger. I'll try to attach a pic

Attachments

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
R6steve said:
here's another pic that may be better.
Sorry if they don't come out to well, I'm in the middle of a 520 chain/sprocket conversion and there's not much room in the garage to take the pic.
I am going to go down to radio shack and see what kind of lighting they might have for lighting the plate in the location you put yours; then I am going to go place mine in the same place. If it turns out good I'll post pictures. It looks so F***ing awsome right now I don't want to drill any holes in the undertail anywhere! Especially, after all the time it took to prep it and paint it. Thanks for the photos!!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By the way, is your pipe a dark red color? I appears to have a dark red color in the photo. It is definatelly a nice bike!

·
Registered
418 Posts
You need a dremmel to do some cutting but it wasn't too hard. The instructions their website are actually pretty good, I was able to do it in about an hour or so. I'm no wiz at this kind of stuff so I found it challenging but was able to get it to fit up just right without too much trouble.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Wally said:
You need a dremmel to do some cutting but it wasn't too hard. The instructions their website are actually pretty good, I was able to do it in about an hour or so. I'm no wiz at this kind of stuff so I found it challenging but was able to get it to fit up just right without too much trouble.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Re: Re: Please HELP!! Need advice on license plate location.

R6steve said:
How difficult was the install on the undertail? Time & expertise needed?
I'd have to say that the most time consuming part of the whole undertail installation process was taking the time to properly spray the undertail. Also took a while trying to find the right color white. And sodering the wires (about 30 minutes). It is actually pretty easy.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What do ya'll think of this location?

What do yall think of this license plate location? Kind of hard to see because I took this picture late last night with a my new cell phone (camera built in).

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts