Sportbike World banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
EvilGuy,

I own a '99 Formula black hardtop. I am on my parents car policy and I suggest you do the same. Insuring that car on your own is going to be astronomical at your age. I am 22 and I pay about $1100 through their policy but we have clean records and great rates through some smaller insurance company we have been with for years. Not to discourage you but your insurance on that car will be about $5000 a year if not worse. Start calling around.

By the way, if you do get the car or you need to know wanything about it before you buy, email me or visit Ls1.com. I can probably help you out a lot.

------------------

·
Registered
20 Posts
Damn Evilguy!! An '01 Formula(my favorite car under 30k out there!!) and an '01 ZX7R?? An LS1 and a sportbike, doesn't get any better than that, especially at 16 years old!! Definitely check out www.ls1.com for info on your Formula. And as for purchasing one if you don't already have one on order, I've got a buddy that works at a Pontiac dealership in the Dallas area if you want a pretty good deal. He'll hook you up, email me for info.

Good luck with insurance companies, I hate dealing with their shit!!

-Matt Blansett

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey Matt,

Have you gotten a bike yet?
I believe last time we talked you were shopping.

------------------
Dave FZR1

"I have a few good reasons for drinking, and one has just entered my head...... If a man can't drink when he's living, how the hell can he drink when he's dead?"

·
Registered
15 Posts
hey guys thanks for the replies... and im on LS1.com im EvilGuy :)... i turn 16 in january so i have about 5 months til i get them but i plan on ordering the car in october so i can have it by january but if not ill just get the bike in january and order the car then... since i have to make the money myself (hope to have both paid off in a year) and whats the going price for a formula, t top, m6, no leather, just traction control?? i found a place where i can get one for about 22.5k-23k...

------------------

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ratsalad,

Sorry man, no bike yet :( I am gonna get a good deal from a buddy on a well-used 89 600 Katana. I figure it will be a good bike to start on, and then work to a nicer/bifgger bike in a year or so. I haven't taken the MSF course yet. I'm kinda afrais to, I've heard that you will get behind if you take it and have never ridden a bike before. So I'm looking at getting the bike, and learning how to ride, and then take the course. I just don't wanna take it without knowing jack-shit, and then end-up failing!! I don't wanna pay $120 twice!!!

Evilguy,

The dealership my buddy works at is Sewell Pontiac. Is that the dealership you were looking at?

Smokin' Joe,

Bastard!! You got a hella-cool ride! I gotta 5.0 that has run a 12.69 at 107.09 w/a 1.866 60' though ;) I guess I got you beat by just a TAD, but you still out MPH me :( That's cool, I got some nice winter plans for my 5.0 though :) I plan on heading to HRP(the fast track!) with a bunch of Dallas guys when it gets a little cooler, you oughtta heasd down with us, you and all those other crazy Baton Rouge guys!! hehe

Later,

Matt Blansett

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks Matt. I have only been to HRP once and I could not run because I had about 6000 miles on the car and the clutch was already shot. POS stock clutches in those things. Anyway, I only run about 1.95 60's at SCD on DR's but at HRP I bet I could get a 1.85. By the way, I can go 11.9 @ 119 when I want to. :D (psss, psss)

The Baton Rouge ls1 guys kick ass. I have never hung out with a bigger bunch of grown-up teenagers in my life and I love every minute of it. I'm sure we'll take a trip to Houston in the fall to meet up with those guys.

About the MSF course. Man you don't have to worry about learning first, you are not going to fail. I took the course when I knew almost knothing about riding and I did fine. The course starts out so slow and is designed for those who may have not ridden before. You'll love it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Smokin' Joe (edited July 26, 2000).]

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
One stupid question... how the Hell does a 16 year old teenager make that kind of money in one year? :confused: Are you a gigalo man? ;)

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

·
Registered
987 Posts
After getting a ridiculous quote from Gieco, I ended up going with a company called Markel American. $1000 bucks a year full coverage for the ZX12, as opposed to the 4k a year Geico wanted. Their # is 1-800-236-bike.

------------------

·
Registered
11 Posts
Back to the insurance thing for Joe... I feel your pain... took forever to find insurance for my bike that I could afford. Half the companies I called wouldn't cover me because I didn't use them for my car and Progressive quoted me some insane price of 2000+.

Anyways, I went with AllState. What you should do is call a couple of AllState agents. They're actually independent from each other which is kinda weird but it means that they all have different prices and different converages. I called a couple and one told me they only covered harleys and another said no motorcycles at all. I finally found one agent that is covering me for about 300/ 6 months and they're giving me more coverage than I have on my car (I found that kinda funny). They've been great. They just spend 1000+ fixing up my nearly stolen bike and my rate didn't go up at all like I expected it too.

Hope this helps, good luck with your search!

Oh one other thing, maybe mentioning that it's not your primary transportation (unless it is) and taking down the number of miles you intend to put on it in a year will lower the premium.

------------------
-AJ
The probability of somebody watching you is directly proportional
to the stupidity of your actions.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.