Sportbike World banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bike I want to insure is a 1999 CBR F4 that I do not yet own but have ridden and plan on buying from my a friend. I am 22 years old, single, and I live in New Orleans, LA. I have had 1 speeding ticket in the past 3 years and no other violations. I have taken the MSF course and I plan on joining AMA soon but this is going to be my first sportbike.

I got a quote from All-State today because I needed to start looking somwewhere. Basically, It is way more than I thought it would be. This is what my quote looks like.

1999 Honda 600cc sport

Bodily Injury: 10/20 limits,$100 premium
Property damage: 25 limit, $20.30 premium
Uninsured motorist: 10/20, $90.00
Collision: 500 Ded., $549.00
Comprehensive: 250 Ded., 277.20
Towing and Labor: $3.00

Policy Charges: $1108 including MSF discount

This is the price for 6 months! It comes out to $188.32 per month. It might be just me but I think this is crazy for a $5000 vehicle. I need to get this to about $100 per month.

Anyway, I need you guys to help me out here. This estimate was for full coverage and used the lowest possible parameters for comp and collision. I can not afford this period so I need to find it cheaper or just not get full coverage.

My questions for anyone who could help are
What other companies should I call? Should I just not get the full coverage? What should I drop, considering I am fairly new to sportbikes, from this policy to make it cheaper?

Guys, I need all the help I can get and some good explanations about what I can do without and why would not hurt either. Thanks so much.

------------------

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys you aren't going to believe this but I called All State back and spoke to another agent on the grounds of GodCreated One said and guess what? I got a different quote. I asked for the fax and it looks completely different. It has the same letterhead and all but the description was definitely done on a different program. That's screwed up.

Anyway new quote is $789 for 6 months/full coverage. What the hell is going on?

------------------

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Guys this insurance researnch is making me sick. here are some quotes so far in yearly terms.

All-State: $2216
Progressive: $2389
Geico: $7120 (not a misprint!)
Sate Farm: Won't cover unless under a car policy.

I could use some more companies if you guys can think of any because these prices are outrageous.

------------------

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks more and more like I'm gonna get screwed here. Dairyland dosen't cover LA, the Geico quote is affirmed, I'm pretty sure AMA promotes Progressive. I'll call some other Sate Farm agents ans AAA in the morning because that was the only reasonable quote I got.

------------------

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
EvilGuy,

I own a '99 Formula black hardtop. I am on my parents car policy and I suggest you do the same. Insuring that car on your own is going to be astronomical at your age. I am 22 and I pay about $1100 through their policy but we have clean records and great rates through some smaller insurance company we have been with for years. Not to discourage you but your insurance on that car will be about $5000 a year if not worse. Start calling around.

By the way, if you do get the car or you need to know wanything about it before you buy, email me or visit Ls1.com. I can probably help you out a lot.

------------------

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks Matt. I have only been to HRP once and I could not run because I had about 6000 miles on the car and the clutch was already shot. POS stock clutches in those things. Anyway, I only run about 1.95 60's at SCD on DR's but at HRP I bet I could get a 1.85. By the way, I can go 11.9 @ 119 when I want to. :D (psss, psss)

The Baton Rouge ls1 guys kick ass. I have never hung out with a bigger bunch of grown-up teenagers in my life and I love every minute of it. I'm sure we'll take a trip to Houston in the fall to meet up with those guys.

About the MSF course. Man you don't have to worry about learning first, you are not going to fail. I took the course when I knew almost knothing about riding and I did fine. The course starts out so slow and is designed for those who may have not ridden before. You'll love it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Smokin' Joe (edited July 26, 2000).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.