Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the topic says it all. why? becuase i can't seem to find it anywhere. i need your help finding my first bike.

it was a 1971 Honda 250 ON/OFF road combination. the factory paint scheme was grey with red and blue pin striping. i don't know what model, etc... but there was one DISTINCT thing i remember the most regarding it. The exhaust was on the left side of the bike and sat between your inner left thigh and the bike itself. it had a black "heat sheild" but it had little circles through it, almost like a honeycomb type style. you needed to ride with pants or you'd burn the inside of your leg.

does anyone have any pics that may fit this description?

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I remember that bike monkey. There was one in this area only painted black & something else. Owner & shop called it a scrambler & he thought so. Best he could do was ride a 4X4 dirt road, but when I went off & he tried to follow that bacame a problem & when I went down into a gully, from the top he yelled down that he dare not do it. So the bike stayed on the paved roads with this one venture.

I remember the exhaust system being on the left with the heat shield. For I still was not that keen on the Jpn bikes bar the CB750 & what was to follow as Jpn really improved on its suspension systems. Still from '64 & on I was amazed at the workmanship of the powerplants once opened up.

1974 was so different for then they started to come out with Observed Trials irons such as the Yamaha TY-250 which I tested for some 89 days (into comp with lights & license plate as well) & so a three page write-up. Along with a Suzy 250 & then Kwacker KT-250 one or two yrs later which I also tested for the same m/c mag & the attempt by Honda with 125cc & 250cc four-strokes----- a few yrs later was a World Champ winner, but not the heavy & bulky (Honda's copies of Sammy Millers rough prototypes) irons that were sold on the market-----just the one factory "works" bike & probably a back-up.

Mind you Jpn's stab into the MX world was rather outstanding with Suzy leading the way with its 125s.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm hoping to find one like it kinda as a memorabelia type of thing. i keep looking on EBAY for pics of 1971 Hondas but nothing like it comes up. oh, the anguish!

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bump

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
o|||||||o said:
Got the VIN?
nope. its been 20 years since i had it. the VIN is LONG GONE.

besides that my specific bike is LONG GONE too. we met a tree in the woods and i had to carry her out in pieces.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
monkey said:
nope. its been 20 years since i had it. the VIN is LONG GONE.

besides that my specific bike is LONG GONE too. we met a tree in the woods and i had to carry her out in pieces.
I saw a book up at Borders, was the "History of the Honda motorcycle" or something to that effect. It was one of those coffee table books, you know - LOTS OF PICTURES!!! Maybe you need to go do some research old-school style (aka NOT ON THE NET!)

·
Registered
505 Posts
monkey i'll look around and post up when I find it(arrogant of me eh?0 you should see if Inky has any sources as she seems good at finding this stuff too.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok...thanks to Ebbs15 for some website possibilities i found a CLOSE match but its not the exact one.

it is similar to the Honda Motosport 250 XL250.

The Honda Motosport 250 XL250 was sold in 1972-73. One color was available: Custom Silver Metallic. The fuel tank, fenders, and headlight shell were silver while the fuel tank stripes and fender stripes were red. The "MOTOSPORT 250" muffler emblem was red and white. The side cover was black without emblems. The engine was a 248cc 4-stroke OHC 4-valve single cylinder with a 5-speed transmission. The frame serial number began XL250-1000049 while it is significant that the engine serial number began SL250E-1000001 rather than XL -- which shows its relation to the Motosport series.
the differences is mine was a 1971 which makes this particular bike not possible (considering is started in 1972). also the side covers were painted to match the tank and did in fact have emblems.

we're getting close.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts