Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was so excited to get my new pipes yesterday. Throw them on and man are they loud. It was so awesome, but now? I kind of hate them...

It lasted two hours before I got popped. I was out on this awesome road pushing the bike a little down a straight away, I get near the end and slow down. Go down a hill and see a cop with someone pulled over who was headed in the other direction (on the other side of the road). So of course I'm thinking, 'Oh shit' and then he walks out into the road in front of me and wants me to stop. Which wasn't easy either, btw what is the deal with new pavement? I had to lock it up for the first time and my tires were squeeling (uh, is that normal?) and I just barely get stopped in time.

Anyway, he proceeds to tell me he has no way to prove that I was speeding but he knew I must have 'just been flying' then launches into this 'you're going to be dead/do you want to die' speech. It was freaking horrible. He's like telling me he going to have to go find my dead body and the guy he had pulled over is 'completely trashed and what do I think would have happened if he hadn't been there to stop him from coming towards me at that speed'. Man I felt like the biggest piece of shit by the time he was done with me. No ticket but geez...

So I was wondering, was I way out of line to push it on a nice big open straight away? I mean there was nothing around and you could see like a mile up the road. I know he's just doing his job and all... But you guys speed don't you?

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Yay, I made your sig!!!

As you can tell from the vids I sent you, I do not speed at all.

</sarcasm>

At the point that the officer stated he couldn't prove anything, I would have asked him if I was going to be cited for any other violations. When he said no, I would say have a nice day and ride off. Just about everyone with a sportbike winds it out from time to time. It's part of the game. But you have to be careful because they are watching for you, and will bust you when they get a chance. Most cops have a hard on for sportbikes and they'll watch you like a hawk. That's one of the problems with pipes...they can hear you coming a mile away.

So to answer your question, no most riders don't see a problem with twisting the throttle every now and then (or every chance they get) but illegal is illegal, so be cautioned that you are taking a chance every time you do it.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I guess they arrest you and take your bike don't they? Last time I got popped on my quad they were going to take it and the vehicle I had driven there... But I kissed ass and they let me go. :loser:

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Depends on the offense. If it's speeding or something (nothing crazy like 20-30+ over) then it's just a ticket. Basically the same rules apply as with a car, so you gotta do something pretty bad to get hauled off in cuffs. The only problem is, it's easier to be really bad on a bike.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Depends on the offense. If it's speeding or something (nothing crazy like 20-30+ over) then it's just a ticket. Basically the same rules apply as with a car, so you gotta do something pretty bad to get hauled off in cuffs. The only problem is, it's easier to be really bad on a bike.
Yeah I was actually in the process of breaking my own personal speed record. So I'm thinking it would have been the cuffs...

Man I saw one guy getting his bike taken by the law one day. The tow truck driver straight up dropped it on it's side and pulled it up onto his truck like that. I was in shock. :eek: But I guess they can get away with that...

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another prime example of the power women have in society :rolleyes:
That's a rosey outlook and all but it's only like that if you play that game. Really it's the other way around the second someone wants it to be. :2cents:

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
n00b said:
Man I saw one guy getting his bike taken by the law one day. The tow truck driver straight up dropped it on it's side and pulled it up onto his truck like that. I was in shock. But I guess they can get away with that...
They'd better have me pretty well restrained if they try that with my bike.

Of course with my mouth, I'd probably get a pretty good dose of "shock therapy" and have no clue what was going on.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
n00b said:
That's a rosey outlook and all but it's only like that if you play that game. Really it's the other way around the second someone wants it to be. :2cents:
Uh oh, I can sense a fem power trip about to occur.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Uh oh, I can sense a fem power trip about to occur.
Nah, that was it. :p

But hey, I did notice that my bike is breathing much better now. It seems to just move thru the gears now much quicker, which did cause me to over rev it a lot. I suppose it'll take some getting use to. That means I got a little more low end, right?

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
n00b said:
But hey, I did notice that my bike is breathing much better now. It seems to just move thru the gears now much quicker, which did cause me to over rev it a lot. I suppose it'll take some getting use to. That means I got a little more low end, right?
It should give you more power throughout the entire curve.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That'll be nice... I need to spend a little more quality time with my bike. Something's off with my shifting. I was passing a truck and didn't realize I was already in 6th when I tried to gas it around him... :loser:

And I don't even know how this is possible but my bike topped out at 90mph on me the other day..? So I'm thinking I had let my higher gears idle down too much or something? I want to be able to get all the power out of each gear...

·
Registered
659 Posts
Nah, that was it. :p

Usually when you add a pipe without jetting the carbs you lose a little low- and mid-range and gain a little on the high end. I don't know if that holds true on your parallel twin though. The over-revving you're experiencing is likely the result of enjoying the new sound. It feels faster because you expect it to be, plus it sounds faster. The only way to really know is to compare before and after on a dyno. In the end, if you like it, ride it. Just be careful because you're getting to the point when new riders start to feel more confident and comfortable and end up getting into a situation over their heads.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just be careful because you're getting to the point when new riders start to feel more confident and comfortable and end up getting into a situation over their heads.
I have gone a little over board a couple times. But that sick feeling you get kind of keeps me in check the next time I go out. I got a little over excited in a turn the other day (I loooove to speed up in them) but it turned out to be an 's' shaped one... I learned that I should know the road before I do that kind of stuff. I actually started to reach for my front brake when I realized what was going on. Thank god I caught myself before I grabbed it! I just leaned... real hard. :loser:

·
Registered
659 Posts
That'll be nice... I need to spend a little more quality time with my bike. Something's off with my shifting. I was passing a truck and didn't realize I was already in 6th when I tried to gas it around him... :loser:

And I don't even know how this is possible but my bike topped out at 90mph on me the other day..? So I'm thinking I had let my higher gears idle down too much or something? I want to be able to get all the power out of each gear...
What gear were you in? It should run faster than that in 4th.

Whatever you do as you're accelerating in lowers gears doesn't affect what happens in higher gears, if that's what you meant.

Edit from Wikipedia: maximum speed in gears @ engine redline (1) 44 (2) 63 (3) 82 (4) 101 (5) 118 (6) 143

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What gear were you in? It should run faster than that in 4th.

Whatever you do as you're accelerating in lowers gears doesn't affect what happens in higher gears, if that's what you meant.
Now I'm really confused, because I was in 6th. But I can go like 140 normally. But I gave it gas and got nothing...

That's why I thought it must have been something I did in a lower gear to make that happen.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
n00b said:
Now I'm really confused, because I was in 6th. But I can go like 140 normally. But I gave it gas and got nothing...

That's why I thought it must have been something I did in a lower gear to make that happen.
Are you sure you were in 6th? What were the RPM's when you tried to accelerate?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you sure you were in 6th? What were the RPM's when you tried to accelerate?
I'm almost positive I was in 6th. I remember thinking 'what the f*ck?' when I tried to shift. My bike was getting ready to redline. I don't know, I guess I just did something wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Judging from what mkeeny posted I'd say you were probably in 4th. Sometimes when you're near redline you need to use more force to shift. Were you using the clutch?

·
Registered
659 Posts

If you were doing 90 in 6th and gave it gas it should have taken off. It doesn't matter what you did in the lower gears to get there. It makes no difference whether you had just shifted from 5th or had been cruising there for an hour. I often skip gears when accelerating lightly.

It's a little early to be doing 140 isn't it?

Edit: Crap people, slow down the posting. Some of us are trying to work too!

If you were near redline at 90 your were still in 4th. No doubt. You'll get to the point where you can pretty much tell which gear you're in by comparing the speedo and tach.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts