Sportbike World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have narrowed my selection down for a slip on and need some suggestion making my decision. I have a 2005 yamaha R6. I am looking at either the Yamaha factory carbon fiber race pipe from GYTR or a carbon fiber Scorpion slip on. What is your opinion? At the same time I am doing a K&N air filter and possibly a power commander. Suggestions?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
a slip on is a slip on. One is as good as another since all they really do is make noise (we are talking a 2hp improvment, who will notice?). Pick the one that looks/sounds best

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True. I know that there won't be much improvement, but I may go full on somewhere down the road, so I am curious if there is much difference between the scorpion and the GYTR. I haven't heard much about Scorpion, but I know that the Yamaha is decent.

·
Honda Moderator
458 Posts
Vash said:
a slip on is a slip on. One is as good as another since all they really do is make noise (we are talking a 2hp improvment, who will notice?). Pick the one that looks/sounds best
Oh god here we go again... the problem with these message boards is that you ignorant people spread your ignorance to others perpetuating lies & myths to those that actually need the real answers.

A slip-on is not just a slip-on... There are companies out there like Sato & Arata that offer slip-ons that outperform many other companies full systems! it's all about doing proper R&D & getting the most out of the system instead of just grabbbing a generic cannister off the shelf & bending some tubing to make it fit the bike like so many crappy companies like Two Mothers, Micron & Scorpion do.

1. Read my exhaust article. it is oriented towards the RC51, but the basic info rings true. http://www.rc51.org/exhaust.htm

2. Look at this dyno chart & tell me again how slip-ons are only for noise

3. Keep your mouth shut if you don't know what you are talking about

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
feeling a touch grumpy this morning are we?

Well this ignorant person noted a 2hp improvment over stock, when referring to 600cc machines. You are showing a liter, with a 3-4hp improvment (also a better midrange).

So what would a good slipon set you back? $400? $500? Which is about the price of a front end revalve, or getting close to a good set of tires. Now which one will shave more off a lap time, 4hp, better front end, or better tires?
I'd like to think that most people are aware that its not going to be the 4hp. Yet what is the first mod you see on 90% of the bikes out there (ok, probly a fender eliminator, but whats next?) and if there are better ways to get performance for the money, why would people insist on putting slip ons?? could it be the sound?

·
Honda Moderator
458 Posts
Starbuck's wasn't open yet on my way in to work :D

In a perfect world without posers everybody would mod their suspension first to get the most out of their bike, but that's not where we live. So we start small & if you can show others the difference in performance of a crappy exhaust brand versus a quality exhaust brand then they might just later get the idea to pursue other top tier performance enhancements like suspension parts & rearsets instead of chrome windscreens, Fender Eliminators & LEDS...

Don't get me wrong I agree with you 100% in terms of lap times via horsepower or suspension, but that doesn't change the fact that your statements about all slip-ons being for noise is blatantly incorrect, but I digress & suspension work is where the real benefits come in.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
you telling me. I'm trying to decide if the coffee machine malfunction is a curse or a blessing (it makes really awfull coffee. But is it better than none at all? Still unsure).

I'm not arguing that there is no performance benefits from slips ons, or that some aren't any better than others. But I do like to carry a "pick your battles" attitude when it comes to performance. Few of us are operating with an open budget. So decisions have to be made, and the first one is "What exactly am I looking for". If its performance you are after, then go with tires, suspension, then a full system. If on the other hand, one is after "cool points", then save your cash, and get a D&D or a hotbodies, or whatever exhaust is considered "in" right now. Use the spare cash for vynil stickers, or maybe some "how-to" riding books.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So then- all rants aside, I hear you about the suspension, but I am looking for a little power, some cool points and some sound. I know how to ride pretty well- I have 11 years on a 600, but anyhow - Yamaha or Scorpion?

·
Honda Moderator
458 Posts
MSMYTH said:
So then- all rants aside, I hear you about the suspension, but I am looking for a little power, some cool points and some sound. I know how to ride pretty well- I have 11 years on a 600, but anyhow - Yamaha or Scorpion?

Yamaha

You'll literally learn more in one day of track riding than you will in 10 years of street riding & one of the first things you will learn is that you don't ride near as good as you think you do. The second thing you will learn is the value of a properly set-up geometry & suspension.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Beleve me LDH is so right on the one day on the Track. There are some darn good people out there teaching advanced riding for Track Days to even racing. There you will pick up a maze of info on believed necessary extra power, suspension & how your ride compared to how you SHOULD ride the circuit & its bends.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Lord Duckhunter said:
Yamaha

You'll literally learn more in one day of track riding than you will in 10 years of street riding & one of the first things you will learn is that you don't ride near as good as you think you do. The second thing you will learn is the value of a properly set-up geometry & suspension.
+elevintybillion. dont see you on here enough man

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. Yamaha it is then. I do want to get out to the track, but I haven't located one close by yet. There is one about an hour south of me, but I don't think there is anyone out there instructing at all.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Buy used and buy cheap. My motto. Bet you can find a used full set, scorpion, micron, or yosh for about 400 on ebay. I bought a slip-on yosh for an 05 gixxer for 75 shipped used with some minor dents.

Honestly, modern bikes have much wider exhaust piping then old bikes do so full systems don't provide significant power output compared to just throwing on a slip-on for modern bikes (They do give more power, but not much). A full system does allow you to take advantage of power increase with other mods like exhaust porting or new cams. Full systems are expensive and if you don't plan on getting a computer management tool like PCIII, you'd be good with just a slip-on. Remember, you don't get those performance increases UNTIL you get your bike tuned and mapped.

But the performance mods that Yamaha offer's are pretty good. I think they are the only dealers that give you the option for new cams (5 cams in all).

·
Honda Moderator
458 Posts
JBaz said:
Remember, you don't get those performance increases UNTIL you get your bike tuned and mapped.
That's only true for the crappy exhaust brands usually the ones that rush a system to the market instead of taking their time & doing it correctly... Sato spends their time doing actual R&D work with both their slip-ons & their Full Systems until they get the best possible gains out of the stock motor & smoothing out as much of the powerband as possible. Then when it is optimally mapped afterwards those improvements are even more prounounced instead of just using the mapping to try to band-aid a lull spot in the power band caused by the pipe.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got done ordering and I am stoked. PCIII, GYTR slip on, GPR Stabilizer, Tail kit, flush mount turn signals, and got my new K&N installed last night.

·
Honda Moderator
458 Posts
Just FYI, I don't have specific knowledge of the new R6, but I know on the old ones the K&N filters caused a loss of hp which is actually a very common occurence since the high flow filters introduce turbulence & upset the resonation of the tuned airbox

More info I wrote about the effects of high flow filters
http://www.rc51.org/airfilt.htm

I'm off to Talladega GP for the weekend, catch you guys on Monday

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I don't really see the performance gain with K&N air filters and stock airfilters. The only reason I went with K&N was because its washable and reusable. Stock paper filter is pretty good, unless you really really want those K&N stickers.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I noticed a slight gain in my 4 runner, but the main difference for me was reusable as well. A dirty K&N is said to perform better than a new paper filter

1 - 19 of 19 Posts