Sportbike World banner

What do you do with your passengers

• I give him/her all my gear

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • I keep it all; screw them!

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Noone rides my bike without full dress!

Votes: 32 72.7%
  • whats gear?

Votes: 2 4.5%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cause at one time or another we all come across the person who wants to ride along. Whats your stance on the issue?

·
Registered
202 Posts
gear for two up...

just last week I took a friend on a 300mile daytrip. she used my old jacket and helmet, had her own jeans and boots. we rode to Mt St Helens, and up the road on the east side. I was the longest trip ever with a passenger, and the first time in some fairly twisty stuff. I learned alot and besides sore asses (she kept sliding forward into me) had a great time. but it wouldn't have happened if there was no gear for her. period.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
A part you missed----

---is those that never carry a pillion rider.
In fact the lst thing I do is remove the pillion footrests.
This has been a habit of mine since 1951!!!!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Robert said:
(When I rode on the street) If someone rode on the back of my bike they were at least a friend, and I want to protect my friends.....
Exactly:thumb:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Robert said:
(When I rode on the street) If someone rode on the back of my bike they were at least a friend, and I want to protect my friends.....
Ditto that! Some of us no longer have the capability to take passengers... bought the race tail :D

·
Registered
152 Posts
Passengers..

No guys riding "bitch" ever, NEVER. Now that I am married, no one other than my wife, who rides frequently. Full-face, now, gloves are OK, hopefully jacket but it is so DAMN hot here in fla, boots and long pants. I am very careful knowing what could happen. I can't understand why these damn sportbikes have to perch the passenger so high in the air. I think it is just to make the bike resemble a solo seater, but it drastically effects handling. My new bike may be a 1100XX or even Buell X1W just to accomodate my wife on the back. I wanted a 954RR but it's not for her.:cool:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
The sportbike was NEVER designed to carry----

---pillion passengers.
Think of it, these are replicas of the road racing m/cs with lights, signal lights, stop lamp, mirrors, horn & all to make them street legal.
In many cases the riders have changed the so called pillion section into a solo saddled bike.
I had to laugh when the Honda RC-51 came out & of all things pillion footrests & a blip or a saddle for someone else & felt shocked the same was on my 929.
IF you want to carry a pillion passenger, then start looking around for another type of bike like a sport-cruiser, Cruiser, or Touring bike.
Have any of you, with the latest sportbike, ever gone out on a pleasant 300 plus mile trip with g/friend or wife riding pillion on that minor bit?
Many of the sportbike riders are purchasing the Yamaha FZ1 as it is more comfortable for their g/friend or wife for short runs as the saddle is a bit more sensible as is the more upright riding position for HER.

·
Registered
178 Posts
One of my best friends loves to ride with me.
She always gets my Phoenix, while I get the Joe Ballistic, see how nice I am.

Yeah, I don't know if the R6 is the best sport tourer, but it doesn't bother us one bit. Just stop every 100 miles or so and were golden.

·
Registered
16 Posts
my wife rides with me when she gets a chance, even bike pools with me to work when we are at the same hospital. She has her own gear, though she prefers no to wear gloves. It's also hot in texas and sometimes we dont wear a jacket even though we know better

·
Registered
609 Posts
The main reason I got the XX is the room and power for a passenger. My wife would rather ride on the back than in a car. This spring I got her all new gear, it's nicer than mine:crying: .

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have let wife ride a few times on back for a ten mile ride or so and it is not much fun.also not very comfortable!I had no helmet for her which is stupid cause I think a passenger needs one also.She does'nt like full face helmets(claustrophobic)and prefers a reg. helmet with sunvisor. I used to think "man that will look retarded... but who cares cause my wifes safety is more important than what some stranger thinks we look like.If and when they fix my bike I'll let her get the style of helmet she wants. then she can ride .she wants me to get a cruiser bike.That is fine with me ..but I am not getting rid of the sportbike in exchange for the cruiser.Hey a good reason for 2 motorcycles. One for me , and one for us! It is a win win situation!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
My wife and I took a trip to Laguna Seca for vacation. I have ridden for 1 year and 9 months and she had never asked for a ride. Heck, I even had to go to a therapist twice a month because everyone thought I had a death wish. Well, after watching the races for 3 days she asked me for a ride on my bike. We got back last Friday, I put the pegs back on Saturday, took her for a ride Sunday morning. Sunday evening she asked for another ride. Tuesday I went to the Bike Shop and borrowed a small size helmet for her to try, mine is a large and too big for her. Wednesday I ordered a Helmet, jacket and gloves for her. Today, this morning, I bought the extra Chatter-box headphones and we went to the bike shop this afternoon to check out a bike for her. She is partial to the F4i Honda so we are thinking about a used slightly wrecked bike we can fix up for her. She has her new gloves already but the helmet and jacket are on back order so she is using some of my gear for now. She really likes riding, it wasn't at all like she thought it would be. Of course I am being extremely careful but I have rolled on 1st gear and shifted at 11,000. This didn't bother her a bit. The leaning scared her once but she is gaining confidence and starting to enjoy the corners more. I am going to adjust the rear suspension a bit for the extra weight for now. Other than that I don't really see a problem with carrying a passenger. Except now I need more power.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Blink, the idea of BOTH riding m/cs is a sensible move----.

---- rather then perched on the bit of saddle of a sportbike.
A 'used' Honda F-4 would be a good bike for her, though upon the lst time she drops it she will not think so. LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts