Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went snow boarding yesterday.. the 1st time this season. woke up.. drove on icy, snowy roads for 3 hrs.. got to keystone.. they had 2 full lots & 1 lift open. i stood in line for an 1hr to ride 2 open trails (although they did have a small but well built table top). :mad:

so then i went to breckinridge (3mtns 1 lift ticket :)) 3 lifts open.. 6 or so looong trails open.. lift line moderate but short wait of maybe 10 min or less. good snow. out of bounds on the closed runs where the snow machines left large mounds made for some decent 360's.. crashed about 1/2 of them.. but not my 1st so i was happy. on the last run a bunch of ski patrollers thought they were state patrolers.. stopped us all.. those that didnt got chased by ski & snowmobile patrollers.. they didnt take our tickets but the guys w/season passes had them confiscated for 2wks & the runners, if caught were gone for the season... thing was.. there were no ropes :( oh-well.

on the way home the roads had cleared up considerably & i was movin at like 90mph.. then i slowed to about 70.. then WHAM.. my snowboard rack came off :mad::mad::mad: i locked up the brakes did a burning u turn on the hghwy & retrieved the boards. my brothers binding broke.. i got a nast gouge in my tail.. which really pissed me off cause all last year i managed to keep the board extremely pretty w/out a skratch on it while riding park, pipe, & back country. now its f*cked. the gouge/split is on the right tip of the tail about 1/2 in long. all the material is there but u can see the wood core :(. i think im gonna mix up a thick batch of epoxy.. smother the wound & then clamp it shut.. after that i will put on a smooth layer of epoxy over the crack & side wall.

hope this isnt a sign of things to come for the season.. prolly not.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Too bad man.. hey i got a spare board if you want one. Its a 94 Burton Craig Kelly Slopestyle. Its a 178 pow board. ( i dont ride it much) Its got burton high back bindings. Yeah its a big mofo powder board but its in perfect shape.

Hehe, well, anyway...

I got a buyer for my freestyle board and boots('94 Morrow Revert 156, 94 Burton Comps (suck))

My new board in a 2000 Burton FL 157. The lightest board made last year and its stronger than any comparable board. For bindings i got a pair of 2001 Burton Mission SI's and my new boots are 2001 Burton Moto SI's

Im thinking this setup will be a definate improvement over my previous ride.

Ill be at WolfCreek on Thurs-Fri-Sat and im looking forward to it. They are 100% open, 1600 acres, 80" base and 4-5 operable lifts!!!!!

:D

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea, i heard wolf creek had a 53" base last week then they got another 2+ ft of fresh. wish i would have gone there this weekend.

a 178?:eek: thats friggin huge. the biggest board ive ever been on was 158. i wouldnt mind getting on it but the only time i would use it would be this spring when i go to a-basin.. they r supposed to have this 1 run that is ski magazines 3rd most challenging run in the US.. plannin on hitting that this spring for sure.

sounds like u got a good set up. i used to ride nuthin but burton.. as a matter of fact my current board is the 1st non burton ive had. its a y2k k2 zepplin 148. drake bindings. northwave boots. its my mostest favorite board ive ever ridden. i wish i could find someone that sell baseless bindings still though.. i also want to try the flow bindings.

so r u still interested in doing what we talked about before? i am for sure.. but like i said it may have to be spring.. some guy here at work hooked me up w/a doctor that may be able to fix my foot w/lasers.

twisties man- i cant believe u made me feel better about it.. whats wrong w/you? :D

·
Registered
873 Posts
SpeedPhreak said:
"...so r u still interested in doing what we talked about before? i am for sure.. but like i said it may have to be spring.. some guy here at work hooked me up w/a doctor that may be able to fix my foot w/lasers..."
Whats that? You mean the film thing, sorry, my mind aint what it used to be..

(hey i just got the board tonite! WOW that thing is SO fU&*^N LIGHT!!!! Unbelievable! Im walkin around the house heat shaping the boot liners, they fit better than any boot ive ever had!)

PS.. baseless bindings! well there are a pair brand new sitting on a shelf at one of the shops i went to Sunday. Not sure what make, maybe Burtons from 97 or so, not sure though. But yer right, i dont think anyone makes em anymore. Hmm i always thought it was a great concept. Never rode em though so i dunno how they performed.

[Edited by GreenNinja on 11-13-2000 at 08:36 PM]

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea, the filming thing... still interested?

baseless bindings.. from what i here.. gave u much more feel & sooner. cut down on weight. & looked cool. faster edge to edge response too.

twisties.. we can share all the love.. we just dont give it for free.. u gotta bring some hot betties or sportbike chicks to share in the love. :D

·
Registered
873 Posts
Ok, as far as filming, i am planning a return to Wolf Creek maybe in December or January.

Let me know what your plans are and we can work somethin out. Also, if you got a few other VERY GOOD boarder buds, the more the merrier. Im not a freestyle pro by any means (not even close) but i can ride any terrain at any speed. And thats all that matter when im holding the camera and filming riders who are way better than me and DESERVE to be filmed!

my email: [email protected]

:D

(pics of me in Nov 98 / Wolf Creek)

[Edited by GreenNinja on 11-14-2000 at 11:43 AM]

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i wish my pictures came out that good. ill try & get some scanned & posted to my web page. looks like that was a great day.. sunny, soft snow, fairly warm... my favorite.

i am waiting for this doctor to get back to me... so i still dont know about recover times & all that jazz.

is wolf creek the closest to u? or just the closest thats worth the drive? where else do u go?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Wolf Creek is the closest to me that i consider "World Class" terrain.

In AZ there is Arizona Snowbowl, in Flagstaff, a 12,633ft mtn, with over 2000' vert. but they are way overcrowded. They have a 50" base right now, but due to management problems and lack of planning (they werent expecting this much snow this soon) they are not open yet.

There is Sunrise Park Resort in AZ also, and they open this weekend. They have snow machines and everything, an 11000ft peak , but they are more of a skiers mtn, family oriented etc. not as fun as the steeps found elsewhere.

Ive been boarding at the following places:

AZ Snowbowl (a zillion times)
Sunrise (AZ) (a few times)
WolfCreek, CO (a few days every year, last 8 years)
Mammoth, CA (a few days)
Jackson Hole, WY (a week)
Tahoe (Kirkwood, Diamond Peak) (a few days)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was just at Breck yesterday and 4 lifts are open and they built 1 kicker. The sun was shining all day, but it was very cold!

Baseless bindings: Don't do it, you have no leverage for turning and less clearance for your feet. Also, you would need an old school board to mount them on, unless you wanted to drill new inserts in your deck.

SpeedPhreak: How often do you go up? Do you have a season pass? We should hook up and go this week or something. I have the Colorado Card(5 mtn.).
I worked at Christy Sports last season, but I am taking the winter off to go snowboarding more often. Sorry about your board, that sucks! It probably isn't worth fixing your board if it is as bad as you describe it, the weld will just come apart. Talk to John or Lenny at Christy's to see if it is fixable. Wow, 148, that is tiny! Before you buy a new board, try riding some demos, or even rentals(our old demos are now in rental). Some to consider are Burton Custom and FL, Salomon 450 and 550, Option Sansalone and Signature, Sims Infinity, and some others.

GreenNinja: I have had the opportunity to ride all of my shop's demo's and rentals and I would say that the FL is in my top 3 choices. I am also ready to buy a new deck, and I think the Burton Pro-Form is already out of Dragons, so I may get an Option. I hope you enjoy your FL. We could hook up in Purgatory or Wolf Creek this winter.
Later

·
Registered
873 Posts
Wolf Creek Report

Half day Thursday, Full Day Friday and most of the day Saturday.

WooHOOOOOOOOOO!

The FL does indeed kick a&$! Ive never rode a board so incredibly light yet hold such a tight edge and stay ultra responsive and amazingly stable.

I got some chatter at speeds above say.. 60 mph.. but other than that this board kicks. The SI step in bindings are right on the money. i have more response with these bindings/boots than any other type ive ever rode with the exception of my MGX alpine hard boots. The MotoSI boots are the most comfortable boots ive ever rode. by the end of the 3rd day though, the liners were broken in and they lost alot of support, but this is just a matter of readjusting them for next time. Still without a doubt the best setup ive ever rode.

Wolf Creek was great as always. I went over to the Waterfal area on the third day. This is a total backcountry area, about 600+ acres of ungroomed terrain, cliffs, chutes, ridges, bowls, etc, all single and double black, with some blue areas for navigation.

Didnt get much airtime, just alot of mixed terrain riding, backcountry stuff, a few powder runs and some practice time on some cruiser runs. (i wanted to take some time to work on 180 fs/bs transitions)

I am planning another trip in january. Any takers just let me know and we can start planning!!!

[Edited by GreenNinja on 11-20-2000 at 11:23 AM]

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tanner.. i try & go as often as poss. i dont have a pass but i have the colorado card for discounts. i was going to try & go sat.. but that is iffy... im supposed to teach this girl & her sister.. but i dont feel up to it right now. but yea we should go. & i love small boards. i love the pipe. i can ride the zepplin fast as hell & the only draw back i have is that its a sh!tty powder board. i pretty much know what i want.. ive been riding for 14yrs. the gouge is bad.. but its just the top sheet. i scraped it out to get rid of the crud.. mixed up some epoxy & clamped it together.. ill know in a day or 2. i usually go to monarch though.. cheap, close, usually not to crowded, usually a dry drive, all natural snow... i do wish they had a 1/2 pipe.. im gonna try & spend more time at keystone this year.. my brother says their park/pipe is awesome (ive never been to keystone b4 this season).

sounds like u had a good trip ninja. i hope we can hook up for some riding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Breck's Park is 10 times better than Keystone's, and Vail's is 10 times better than Breck's!:)

Are you going up this week? I am going to Breck on Wednesday if you want to meet up there or something.
Later.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i have to work on wed :(

i kinda figured vail would have a killer park. i will probably battle the crowds on sat.. but we should plan some mid week thing sometime soon... i just have to give work enough notice (2 or 3 days)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts