Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got her put together. I was holding off on pictures hoping to have a suitable model (So that no one would notice the home paint :) ) but I dont have the heart to ask anyone to put on a bikini when its 40F outside.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Attachments

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, the forks arent ohlins. But the valving is.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
3. The can needs new paint... Does anyone know if the muffler can take 450F? If so, I'm going to powder coat it.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Close up of the "paint"

Attachments

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My apologies to those of you with 14" monitors.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Did you use spray-on bed liner Vash?

On the can, just take it all apart, it should powdercoat no problem. Wouldn't have the packing in there, but exhaust gas is hotter than 450. Should powedercoat the footpeg brackets too.

-M-

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mstrand_68 said:
Did you use spray-on bed liner Vash?

On the can, just take it all apart, it should powdercoat no problem. Wouldn't have the packing in there, but exhaust gas is hotter than 450. Should powedercoat the footpeg brackets too.

-M-
Yep. Spray on bed lines, 5 coats, 12 cans total.

I was thinking the same on the can, it should be fine, it is a muffler after all. However if it comes apart its a much better way to go (I figured i'd be welded together). Black brackets as well? I'll have to do something to the bike to make it stand out.. Its already way overly black.

Duesell: Thanks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Looks good. I like the crinkle look. No more worries about chipped paint or scratches.

·
Registered
746 Posts
The footpeg brackets stand out to me. I like the all black look. Was going to do that to my RR, but the bastards clear coated over the graphics on the tank. Not the fairings or anywhere else, just the tank. So I have to figure something out. My swingarm is silver though. Don't really feel like taking it all apart just to powdercoat that right now.

Good thinking with the bed liner, much stronger and no need for a tank pad! Only bad thing might be cleaning the bike. Since it's "gritty" can't wipe it down. Have you figured out a good way to clean it yet?

-M-

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Soap and water. Lots it. Worked for me so far. The paint is pretty resilient, but I worry about the high pressure jets if I get too close.. We'll see what happens once I got a few high pressure baked on bugs. If it does fail, the good thing about the paint is that its really easy to touch up.

Yeah the stickers in the tank were a bitch. I started out sanding the tank, then tried sand blasting it, that didnt work, so I went after it with lots of paint thinner, then scraping everything off, then sandblasting it again. That finally worked. After that it was just a matter of primer, another sanding and 5 coats of bedliner.

Then you get to find all the little things that dont line up right because the lines is so thick. Like the gas tank cap would close at first and took some fiddling with.

I'm also glad I had the foresight to order extra fastners, because of course I lost a few while the bike was apart.
Oh, and first day I take it out, I loose the coolant reservar cap. AGHHH!

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Weight? A few pounds tops. Can weigh any more then 12 spray cans right?

As for heat, yea my engine is warming up abit faster then it used to. I havent had a problem with the bike overheating before, so I got no reason to believe it will be an issue now.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Nice job on the painting process, but put some highlights, color, decals, anything on that thing, or you'll become hood ornament! :D

Looks like your bike just returned from the funeral.

What was damaged in your bike again? If the fairings were damaged, are those new ones from ebay?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The contrast thing is an issue. I wanted some uber reflective red stickers, but nothing will stick to that finish, not well anyway. So I'm not too sure what my options are. At night the bike totally dissappears. Literally, all you can see is the tail light.

The only fairings not replaced are the mid and lowers. All new uppers and tail section (well some of them new to me anyway). New headlight as well. The tank got some metal work and filler to clean it up. New radiator supports, some electronics, mirrors (from a 636), and a slew of other small things.

The more I think about it, the more I like the black rearsets idea. Free mod too :)

·
Registered
675 Posts
I wonder if you could find someone to air brush some silver metalic stripes or some type of design on it. I like the matte black and metalic silver look. + if you airbrush a design on it and don't like it you can always break out the spray bomb again!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Haven't seen anyone mention doing this or not, and I might be raped for suggesting a :squid: ly thing if its thought of that way.... So anyway, to make your bike more visable at night what about some lights inside the fairing? Have a red glow coming out from the engine bay. I had a neon underlight on my '98 yzf600r, nobody had ever seen it on a bike before and got many good replys, except from the cops. (Blue and red illegal in WA, I had blue) Any thought???

Coat the rearsets Vash, that would complete it...

Oh and get some of those glowing valve caps, just hope the guy in the cage next to you doesn't have epilepsy!!!:twofinger

-M-

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
F*ck the lights.
If you are into the wife beater, shorts, and oakleys than they complete the look :D

I doubt one could airbrush on that surface, or that it would last long without clear to protect it.... Maybe I'll decal the unpainted parts, like the frame...

1 - 20 of 74 Posts