Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pics of my bike after a ride thru a rock turnout. Look out for bicyclists on canyon roads, I swear.

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Handlebar Question

This might be a dumb question, but from this pic, can you tell if I can fix my left handlebar by loosening the big old hexagon looking bolt, adjusting, then tightening it? I'm pretty sure the alan wrench part is for more specific adjustment, and the huge bolt is for... nevermind, you get it. Main question is can I fix the handlebar by loosening that bolt? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Wow, that looks like hell. Glad your semi ok.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
it doesn't look that bad. you need to do some fiberglass repair, but it looks like the vortex clip-on spun on the fork. mine did on my 400 when i crashed. you may need a new pole. they are like $12-15.

it'll be okay buddy.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fiberglass repair, is this best done by a pro, or is it fairly simple to do?

No frame sliders yet. I was lucky because I crashed into sand and rock... not asphalt/concrete.

I was thinking frame sliders aren't long enough for my bike, since it has a custom rig for the fairing. It's a Honda Fairing on a Suzuki, so it pops out alot more than usual. Think it's possible to put frame sliders on?

Some of these questions are more adequately answered here in the forums than in my local bike shop. Thanks guys. :twofinger

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Elvis said:
Fiberglass repair, is this best done by a pro, or is it fairly simple to do?
if you've never done it, then you probably don't have the proper equipment or skills to actually make it look the way you really want it to. i'd take it off the bike and leave it with a skilled body and paint man. :2cents:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Man that is a lot of damage considering the slow speed you lost the bike or so you assumed.

My '97 Yamaha YZF600r f/wheel skipped under me (some sand/gravel on tight twisties) at 160KPH L/H banking, almost gained control & but still headed into high concrete barricades till I saw a gap & so snaped bike from present left to right to be going off the shoulder & with brakings & shifting down I was probably down to 80 or 90KPH when I went down in similiar gravel/dirt.

Bought a new nose piece, side panel, & R/H mirror. Very minor scuff marks on f/mudguard, rear panel, & accepted scuff marks on can, engine cover & minor bit on the petrol tank.

Looks as if the left handlebar simply moved on you & can be brought back to normal.

I was lost on the half fairing of your bike till you mentioned it was a Honda product so in that case frame savers will not protect the fairing. Still at the speed I went down at the f/saver was simply folded by & new bolt replaced it plus having the scuff marks now pointng at the ground still it did a good job.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Smitty said:
Man that is a lot of damage considering the slow speed you lost the bike or so you assumed.
I might have been going 50mph when I went down, only thing is, those rocks were as big as a fist. Funny too, you can see where my knee dug into the ground... no wonder it's still swollen. Falling down is no joke, things can happen pretty quickly, and if more than one thing happens at once, look out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Re: Handlebar Question

Elvis said:
This might be a dumb question, but from this pic, can you tell if I can fix my left handlebar by loosening the big old hexagon looking bolt, adjusting, then tightening it? I'm pretty sure the alan wrench part is for more specific adjustment, and the huge bolt is for... nevermind, you get it. Main question is can I fix the handlebar by loosening that bolt? Thanks.
The big hex thingy is what holds your fork springs in and keeps dirt out. Don't loosen it if you don't have to. For those that are mechanically challenged those fine threads can be a bitch to get started properly while pushing against the spring tension. Loosen the allen head screws to spin the clip on on the tube.
Mark

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did that before I read your post. It worked perfectly. Even lost a wobble I had before the crash. Heehee! Thanks for the advice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts