Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a good mechanic to do my valve adjustments on my 4 valve ducati 748. Anyone know of any. Not gatto...they do not have anyone that I would trust.

Thanks
Robb

·
Registered
505 Posts
bigdaddyrobb said:
Looking for a good mechanic to do my valve adjustments on my 4 valve ducati 748. Anyone know of any. Not gatto...they do not have anyone that I would trust.

Thanks
Robb
Definately NOT Gatto.I have dealt with the Erie shop after Millers dropped them(Ducati ),they were ok.Did my St-2 fine.
I tried to get Harry down at millers to do side jobs but no luck.I have no idea about the Ohio shops.Most of the good shops are unfortunately a bit of a travel.:(

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would highly recommend Distefano's. 724-695-7935. He is a small shop, specializing mostly in Italian bikes. Knows his poop. He recently did vales on my buddies 748. An exaple of the kind of guy he is, when he found a bad rocker arm while checking the valves he was able to track down a perfect used one and passed on the savings.

http://www.distefanoscycle.com/

·
Registered
505 Posts
mfield2a said:
I would highly recommend Distefano's. 724-695-7935. He is a small shop, specializing mostly in Italian bikes. Knows his poop. He recently did vales on my buddies 748. An exaple of the kind of guy he is, when he found a bad rocker arm while checking the valves he was able to track down a perfect used one and passed on the savings.

Hey thanks for this info,that shop isn't that far from me.

·
Registered
459 Posts
mfield2a said:

I used to take my duc to him when i had one. he is a good guy to deal with . he also used to work for fbf when he started out.

·
Registered
505 Posts
snickerz said:
I have a related question. Are the new Duc's as maintenance intensive as the oldermodels? I'm captivated by the new st4
they upped the Valve adj to 12K from 6,on quite a few they finally put the battery where you can get at it without taking half the freaking bike apart(like my St-2) to get at it.You still should change the clutch fluid every 6k or when it starts to look dirty(helps the oem slave cyl last a lot longer a weak point to thiis day)They are a little bit harder on chains and sprockets than a inline engine but not enough to worry about.
The adjustment on the 4 valve isn't cheap but the new Vfr has an adjustment cost that is just about the same now(because of all the electronic garbage they graphed on,Vtec or what ever it is)(and yes I went and compared prices for that).All in all a little more TLC but not a lot.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I did not know they had a dyno there!!!! I think he said it is 55 an hr, which is not bad at all. I will be bringing the gix 7fiddy up there for the valve check and hopefully no adjustments. His rate was a little lower than the competition and he does not add on a ridiculous rate, if they need adjustment...just a little fee for the extra time, not a huge fee like the other shops want, they want to add in all the removal time even though they have everything opened up already. Never heard anything bad about this shop and I always said if something breaks down or needs repair, that is where I am going. He said the service book is filling up fast for Jan. so get in there now, if you can.

·
Registered
38 Posts
snickerz said:
I have a related question. Are the new Duc's as maintenance intensive as the oldermodels? I'm captivated by the new st4
I have 1998 Duc ST2 that has approx 10000 miles and all I have done is regualar maint.

From my understanding you must do the valve checks- "Or Else".

A Good Duc webpage for mods and maint is Richards Ducati ST2 page

·
Registered
1 Posts
Echoing mfield2a & KLRBE,

Joe DiStefano ROCKS ! ! !

Remember the "Doug Polen Show" days?
Joe was there!

Get him to talk about Larry & Eraldo Ferracci - too funny!

::hands in prayer pose::
"Thank you Ducati Gods!"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts