Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm rebuilding my 97 900 RR and I'm working on my own kit for an undertail exhaust system. So far the only problem i'm finding is a fabricating shop in the Phoenix, AZ. area to bend the pipes for the header to cans section. Anybody got some suggestions that might be helpful ? :confused:

·
Registered
499 Posts
machine shops are becoming pretty scarce. Unless someone from your area can reccomend a place, I'd suggest finding some contractors in the phone book and get a reccomendation from one of them. Happy hunting :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Most automotive muffer places have pipe bending machines, I had some custom work for my truck done, and he just busted it out in like 15 minutes.. I would imagine they would do the same for a bike if you had the messurements. (only cost my 50 bucks with the pipe/bending/attaching too)

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
What kind of tubing do they use? A friend of mine told me to take my bike to Midas and have them bend me some custom pipes but was worried that they would use some heavy stuff.

Some years ago, I was on the same venture to do undertail pipes for my 95 ZX-6R. I contacted TwoBros in Southern California. They said it would take about 2 months and $2,000 to do it, but they would do it for me. Umm... a little out of my price range.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't know if auto shops would do the work. I've talked to a few pros(Wolf,BOS,Texas Fairing,Blueflame) offering underseat kits but best price so far is a grand. Screw that, this is my stunt bike not my racer. Only reasons I want undertails is to be different with a 900 RR and quit making tacos out of my exhaust cans when I drop it hard on the side. Thanks guys, I'm gonna check with local auto shops and check it out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The stuff that I got from the muffer place was pretty thick.. so if you can find some tubing from some place else and just take it to them to have it bent that might be better.. Your best bet is to find some place that isn't a MAJOR chain and has some cool ass guy working there.. you know one that doesn't give a shit and will probly just put whatever he charges you for the bending straight in his pocket.

·
Registered
17 Posts
custom pipes

tube benders are diameter specific--one size only & probably only one or 2 bend radii . look for s/s heat exchanger tubing
comes in lots of sizes & the stuff u bend it on is at a place that
makes or retubes heat exchangers doubt if they will help but
thats who has it.

luck Bill Teller

1 - 8 of 8 Posts