Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe it. I just got home from a quick ride. I had to take out my friend's GF for a ride before it gets too cold. I pulled it into the garage and I'm about to walk outside. I hear a hissing. My brand new (about 300 miles) D207 is hissing at me. I look around it and there is a small something poking out. It's less than 1 cm. I can't believe it.
I've heard you can patch them, but how good is that going to be? Am I safer spending another $104 dollars plus shipping for a new tire? Or will a patch and plug to the job for the next 3000 miles? How about patching and plugging it and then doing a burnout on video and THEN buying a new tire. Always thinking.....

------------------
Dan...Comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Get a new tire. It is not so much an issue of the plug staying put, as it is an issue of how much damage has been done to the tire's carcass. I would put a plug in this tire, get a video camera, and smoke it off. Then mount a new tire and go riding.

------------------
Rossco.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I agree, new tire. If you look at how the tire is made you will see layers of cords that stretch across the tire. If you break these it will cause failures in the structure of the tire "BLOWOUT!"

------------------
You get the best thrills on two wheels!

Damn rice burners!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, i'm in the same boat iowazx6r, brand new tire and and damn nail drove in it already! :mad: There is a plug available which I'm going to use anyway, it's called a Minicobi and it's a plug with a patch on the end of it that is inserted into the tire from INSIDE the tire. With the patch part cemented to the inside of the tire and the plug Vulcanizes with the rubber from the heat of use. Only about $8 and you can get them a Truck parts centres. Better than chucking out another load of money! :D

------------------

·
Registered
468 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by YZF600:
Only about $8 and you can get them a Truck parts centres. Better than chucking out another load of money! :D

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeah, I am sure that your family will be trilled that you saved the price of a back tire! As a mater of fact, I bet that it will be the key topic of conversation at your funeral. Glad to see that you have your priorities straight!

------------------
Rossco.

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
YZF600,

While Rossco929's post was a little more blunt than mine. I agree with him 100%.

What might look like a "small hole" can acually cause major damage if any of the "threads" inside the tire are torn.

------------------
Robert Basil
It ain't easy being green - Kermit the frog
But it sure is fun! - Robert Basil

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll just plug it for the burnout. I hope to do it this season...if not look for the video on this board in the spring. Excellent.

------------------
Dan...Comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If the tire was ridden without enough air for a good while, scrap it. That's like 30 miles with 10psi. To much heat in the tire is what causes the tire too fail. If you still had plenty of air in the tire when you got home, use the plug/patch/cement on the inside job to hold you over until you can spring for a new tire. They are safe and will last. One thing though, when using any patch or plug, reduce the speed rating on your tire by one grade. Z to V to H to etc. You have weakend your tire. Treat it that way.
Those plugs that you push in from the outside will get you home but I'd get a new tire or a inside patch/plug asap. You can not put a plug in the sidewall of a tire.
This is blunt. When it's your money you are spending, who cares what your family thinks when you're dead. You're dead. Everybody has opinions and a right express them.
I'd patch/plug it.

------------------
Crusty

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm an experimental type, so I would plug it and do a nice smokey burnout. Time the burnout, and let us all know how long the tire lasts you. Also, let us know what RPM you are doing the burnout at. For scientific reasons keep the RPM steady. :)

------------------
Colin
FloridaSportbikers
My Home Page

1 - 11 of 11 Posts