Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Squidwannabe:
Agreed.
The worst is getting stuck behing those harley drivers :p :D Gotta get by them real quick! Don't want people to think your riding with them do you ? :D ;)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Snicker - ;)

Hell ya gotta pass 'em as quick as possible
is right. Not that it takes alot to do that.
I religiously try to pass them on one
wheel if the road permitts, I know they love
that. :D

------------------
I really should be working...

[This message has been edited by chris_y2k_r1 (edited October 16, 2000).]

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm in NJ, and like there in PA, the weather was perfect yesterday.. I was riding with my buddies and some real fast guys on a hayabusa (with an air shifter) and a 929RR.

There was this ambulance that was going real slow (about 35mph) on a nice, curvy mountain road, like he was doing it on purpose to hold us back. So we all passed it.. after about two miles, we stopped at a McDonald's rest. and decided to eat lunch. While we were eating, 2 police cars showed up on the parking lot and the police walked to our bikes and were writing down our plate numbers.. it turns out that that ambulance driver radioed to the police that we passed him on a double yellow and the police said the driver was really pissed. After warning us... the older cop let us go... (the younger cop didn't wanna let us go just like that.. I hate cops in their 20s - 30s).

Moral of the story: Some ambulance drivers are a$$hole$.

------------------
A|_|_/\N

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This Sunday was an AWESOME day here in good
old History rich PA. It was about 74f and
no humidity. Perfect day for some shredding
through the local twisties. One area of
which is called Beaver Valley.

I headed out with the intent of a short ride,
more practice then riding however I wound
up meeting up with variety of differnt
sport bike riders. I tagged along in the
back of several different groups thoughout
the day. Just sizing up the caliber of riders
I was dealing with.

The first portion of the day was chalked up
to very (overly IMO) conservative riders.
What I mean by this is that these guys would
get stuck behind slow ass Sunday drivers and
stay there. I can see that if you are still
trying to get to the good roads but this was
on the good road.

Eventually I passed the putzes and the cars
and caught with other groups, guys that would
only pass on dotted lines. Again not for me.
If I have room I'm going...

Finally, I got some open road and started to
wick things up a bit. Still taking it somewhat
easy, I hear a pipe of a bike coming up behind
me. Finally someone who was in the frame of
mind. Anyway to wrap it up I lead for a while
and then swapped and let this guy (on a 97 YZF
750) lead for a while. We passed every car in
the way when we could. This by far was the
best riding. Just burning up the road and
keeping a very even pace with each other.
Not pushing hard but riding fast and working
on being smooth. This guy was pretty amazing
on that 750, I found myself using alot of the
R1s powerband, more so than I normally do.
Had a lot of fun.

Is it me or is that the stuff?? Too me, you've
got to be a little agressive to get the
road to yourself, otherwise it just ruins
the ride.

------------------

[This message has been edited by chris_y2k_r1 (edited October 16, 2000).]

S

·
0 Posts
Agreed.
The worst is getting stuck behing those harley drivers :p :D Gotta get by them real quick! Don't want people to think your riding with them do you ? :D ;)

------------------
If somebody sounds as though they might know more than you, talk more and louder.

Adam

S

·
0 Posts
I'll try not to sound to terrible but, Next time pass him faster... This way they won't get your licence plate and they won't be able to prove it was you :D Not that I recommend or would do such a thing.. Just speaking out loud :D

------------------
If somebody sounds as though they might know more than you, talk more and louder.

Adam

·
Registered
468 Posts
I totally agree. Pass them cages, just do it safely (not necessarily legally- just safely ;)). There is nothing worse than being stuck behind a cage on a nice twisty road.

------------------
Rossco.

·
Registered
440 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rossco929:
There is nothing worse than being stuck behind a cage on a nice twisty road.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about getting stuck behind a cop driving 20 under the speed limit?

True story follows (and I have witnesses):

I once pulled over a cop. Well, he pulled me over. Some buddies and I were riding Highway 16 south of Kerrville, TX, when we came up behind a sheriff's deputy crawling through some of the best twisties. I was in the lead, and followed him for about 10 minutes. As soon as we crossed into the next county I pulled up about 20 feet behind his ass and his lights came on. I dutifully pulled over and waited for him to walk back to my bike.

He tried to read me the riot act and see my license and insurance papers. Instead of kissing up, I told the guy (a rookie in his 20s, btw) that he was out of his juisdiction, I could stop my bike a lot quiker than he could stop the Chevy Impala he was in, and that he should quit driving like a yankee tourist. His face turned about 17 shades of red, and he was royally pissed, but he also knew he couldn't do a damn thing.

After getting in a warning to not tailgate people and to be careful he started walking back to his car. I was friends with the Kerr County Sheriff and her No. 1 deputy, so called him back over and told him to say "hello" for me when he got back to the office. I know the deputy didn't appreciate that last touch, because I saw the No.1 deputy a couple of days later, and he got a big kick out of telling me how pissed the rookie was when he got back.

The best part is I was driving (in my cage) to work a couple of months later, passed this same deputy in a legal passing zone without exceeding the speed limit, then watched as he went into a corner too soon and dropped a tire onto the dirt. Sure enough, his lights came on. He walked up to me and said I was driving too fast. I just laughed at him and said he was the one driving too fast, I made the corner. He didn't even give me a verbal warning that time, just stomped off and left me alone.

------------------
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson

·
Registered
873 Posts
Nice to know there are still Barney Fifes left in America to mess with.

To be honest, the NAZI COPS of Phoenix Arizona work on the shoot first ask questions later. If you tried that stuff with them theyd have you in the Paddy Wagon faster than you could say Hayabusa. Regardless of whether you could sue the pants off the dept, youd still have had a terrible "stay" with the local Men in Blue.

Must be nice...

------------------
Fear Oil.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NJF4:

There was this ambulance that was going real slow (about 35mph) on a nice, curvy mountain road, like he was doing it on purpose to hold us back. So we all passed it.. after about two miles, we stopped at a McDonald's rest. and decided to eat lunch. While we were eating, 2 police cars showed up on the parking lot and the police walked to our bikes and were writing down our plate numbers.. it turns out that that ambulance driver radioed to the police that we passed him on a double yellow and the police said the driver was really pissed.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to argue, but to be devils advocate, he is probably one who has scraped bodies off the telephone poles etc. Shouldn't of been doing that to mess with you but who would of had to stop 2 miles later when someone lost it and perform a roadside tracheotomy so you can breathe. If it helps about the young cop issue, next summer you can swing by north fl and we can go do some runs on a radar gun just see what you can hit. Always cool to see a highly illegal number on a radar gun and not having to be worried.

------------------
If if if....
If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass every time he jumps!

·
Registered
440 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GreenNinja:
Nice to know there are still Barney Fifes left in America to mess with. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are some advantages to living in a small town where everyone (except the rookie Barney Fife) knows you and your family. I worked with the Chief Deputy's wife, and the Sheriff lived about four houses down the road. I used to follow her into town every day at 75 mph in a 55 zone.

Even had a deputy pull me over one day and ask if my father was coming down from Kansas to go deer hunting.

------------------
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson

·
Registered
13 Posts
The weather was grate here in pa this weakend. Me and 14 frends went down to deliware to run rt9. I was passing cars all day it was grate. Its really fun when you dont have to slow down you just power by like the car is siting still.

------------------
oldenof to know better still too young to care

·
Registered
31 Posts
Good things happen - especially when you're riding in a place called BEAVER VALLEY!

I enjoy the exhiliration of getting around the slow ones too. I've been in the situation where I went to pass a line of cars, tucked it in at the last minute and wouldn't you know it - the next car over the horizon was Deputy Dog.

Promptly turned around and pulled us over. Didn't pull us over for speeding, pulled us over for passing in a no-pass zone. A little out of character for me, I argued with him that I went to pass before the double-yellow. This was partially true - except for my buddy on the Ninja was right on my tail...he probably WAS on the wrong side of the road at the time. Fortunately, he was not out to write anybody up. He explained the finer points of passing - that even if you start the pass legally, once you get to the double-line and you're still passing cars you've broken the law. He just told us to slow it down and take it easy.

Yaaaa! Schwing! Later DUDE!

------------------
...I don't want a pickle
I just wanna ride my motor - sickle...

S

·
0 Posts
BEAVER VALLEY!!!!

BEAVER VALLEY!!!!

BEAVER VALLEY!!!!

WOW!!! Heaven....

------------------

Adam

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You all are so bad... But I will comment
on this one.

There was one perticular time in good 'ol Beaver
Valley that wound up being relatively
interesting. Without going into great detail
let's just say there were two well equipped
blondes on a canoe that liked sportbikers.

So a word to the wise... Check out the
canoes on the river when your riding, sometimes
it's actually good to go slow too. :)

Snicker,
Chris

------------------

[This message has been edited by chris_y2k_r1 (edited October 17, 2000).]

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wow,
Reading your story chris makes me wanna go out and find some twisties myself. Too bad it's raining down here :(

------------------
"The only tactics I admire are do-or-die." -- Herb Elliott

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Herminator:
Wow,
Reading your story chris makes me wanna go out and find some twisties myself. Too bad it's raining down here :(

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Herm - first off welcome.

Secondly, I hear ya, it's been raining
steady since Monday here too. Oh well.

Chris

------------------

·
Registered
5 Posts
you said beaver huhuh huhhuh huhhuh

i agree with passing them on 1 wheel its hard to see a license plate when its pointing to the ground. its 1 of my favorite games

bft

1 - 17 of 17 Posts