Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've put about 10k miles on my R6 and finaly laid it down (as gently as I could). The sides are scrapped up and a piece is broke right where the screw holds.

I'm crying on the inside, but I only got about a quarter size road rash on my elbow and hand ( layed on my back right away and stopped slidding pretty quick). However my bike decided to continue sliding right into a curb.

What I'm wondering is Have you guys ever painted the fairings yourself? I'm going to get some sand paper (really fine sand paper) and smoothen it out. Then I was thinking about painting it. Does anyone have any tips? Any special paints you used that looked good?

I've read a few articles online and seen a few guys who have fixed their own bikes and you would never be able to tell the difference. I'm looking to achieve as best as I can without dishing out the cash that I don't have to get new stuff..

So post anything that might help!

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Sorry to hear about your fall.

There are several guys here who've done their own work and I'm sure they'll be posting up to help you out.

Hope you get things patched-up quick. :thumb:

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
[email protected]$$R6 said:
This brings me to another dumber question - while I'm repairing the fairings is there any reason that I shouldn't ride without the plastic on the bike?
Hehe, you should see JBaz's bike...

...believe it, or not, this is a CBR 600 RR!!

Edit: Cropped version of JBaz's photo. Hope that's okay 'Baz! ;)

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
you ruined the award winning picture man! At least show the cop behind me!

Two words that will set you free: Zip Ties.

LOL

Seriously, Use zip ties and don't be afraid to chain them up. Zip tie the front headlights on the front stay bar while you repair the fairings. That's what I'm doing now and this is the 3rd time I'm rebuilding this bike.

Take some pictures so I can access the damage and give you some more help to your specific needs. It's frightening of how well I can judge the full extent of the damage by a picture. Remember, a picture is a 1000 words (the picture above, if it wasn't cropped, is actually 6128 words as there's a long story behind it).

And cookeetree, mate, I'm coming to your house and slamming your door down with a copyright infringement. lol

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
JBaz said:
you ruined the award winning picture man! At least show the cop behind me!...

And cookeetree, mate, I'm coming to your house and slamming your door down with a copyright infringement. lol
Didn't want him to get sidetracked by the cop car. Just wanted to show him your bike.

Mate, you're welcome at my door anytime. :thumb:

·
Registered
892 Posts
cookeetree said:
Hehe, you should see JBaz's bike...

...believe it, or not, this is a CBR 600 RR!!

Edit: Cropped version of JBaz's photo. Hope that's okay 'Baz! ;)
Take away the front fender and take it all the way to the frame on the front and you got my bike :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Two things you'll want to look into for painting the plastic, adhesion promoter and flex agent. You'll need both to get paint to stick & stay.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thekl0wn said:
Two things you'll want to look into for painting the plastic, adhesion promoter and flex agent. You'll need both to get paint to stick & stay.

Is this stuff pretty common to get? I must say I've never heard of it...

OEM colors - should be good.... Do you have any experience using this stuff or just know they offer it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts