Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever paint a sprocket. I have my bike in about 100 pieces and am going to do some major cleaning and loving for the next month while the worst of winter passes by.
I was toying with the idea of painting my sprocket. Anyone???
Also the robots at Kawasaki did a shitty job on my rims and the paints a bit thin in the centre (not bad for a robot) I might get that painted too.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I don`t see why you couldn`t... I also don`t see why the chain wouldn`t eat the paint off, and then carry it with it to the front sprocket, and then causing all kinds or trouble up there.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK

Well that got a bit of a negative reponse.
First nobody would paint the teeth that would just be stupid, secondly my friend owns an autobody shop so it costs me nothing, third I hate cleaning my sprocket when I can otherwise be riding (summer) and was thinking that a painted surface would resist corosion better, and clean easier than a bare metal surface which is also fairly rough by painted surface standards, thus holds more dirt.
Anyone actually paint one?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Man, cleaning sprockets is major ass-work, especially during nice-weather season. I'd leave the teeth alone for sure, and then paint the inner part of the circle, like maybe the diameter between the bases of the teeth. I can't see any reason why this would cause you any mech. troubles. Actually, you've got me wondering now, a flat black would never look dirty... I know my rims are going flat black whenever I get the motivation.

·
Registered
460 Posts
IDK about painting the sprocket. I'm thinking that sprockes are balanced, but proably not if they are balanced i would not paint them

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good Point

Well I really never thought about the balance thing. That raises a bit of a concern. Trust me if you lived by the ocean, in a place that rains 220 days out of 360 you wouldn't be laughing at my idea to paint the sprocket, or any other bare metal surface on the bike. I like looking after my ride, but I better be getting more riding than polishing or cleaning.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Re: Good Point

maDDtraPPer said:
Trust me if you lived by the ocean, in a place that rains 220 days out of 360 you wouldn't be laughing at my idea to paint the sprocket, or any other bare metal surface on the bike. I like looking after my ride
Grew up by the Ocean, Try chain lube. Still laughing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts