Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its winted time, which means fixing all the damage from the season. I'm thinking about painting myself. I got a gun, and A friend got a compressor. Never really painted much of anything, but why not try right?
The plan is to use the stock paint as background an have a few gold designs. If I understand the process correctly, It should be.

Sand the crap out of it, use bondo to fill in any damages that cant be popped off.
Primer
Paint gold.
Cover the designs with tape, cut to shape
Paint base color
Remove the tape, paint clear.

Is that right?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Looks good, but its not the steps that you have to worry about, its the technique. Get some plastic and metal to practice on first so you can see how the paint goes on to each part. This way you don't have to resand a messed up part and start over. Good luck and don't forget the pics of the process from start to finish. :thumb:

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll document the whole thing, tearing the bike down, sanding, rebuilding suspension, and anything else I decide to do...

Yeah I'm afraid of getting some runs... I'm abit trigger happy..

·
Registered
96 Posts
Vash said:
Well its winted time, which means fixing all the damage from the season. I'm thinking about painting myself.
If you get damaged, I would suggest leathers to prevent the damage. Also I don't know how long paint is going to stick to you... For that, maybe tattoos?

Good luck!

·
Registered
376 Posts
I sanded down my eclipse cage a year ago; it basically took me three to four weeks with a power sander and some fine grit paper to get all of the clearcoat off. i tried to get most of the base coat off, down to the grey primer, but couldn't get it perfect. new paint goes on easy, but the sanding and prep work is the hardest and most important part. i can still see a few blotches where the underwork wasn't done perfectly.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I helped a friend sand and paint his old interceptor years ago. And Esanders is right, all the hard work is in the sanding. Sand, bondo, sand some more.

As long as your prep work is good the painting should go real smooth.

·
Registered
526 Posts
water seperator

Vash make sure you get a water seperator or filter for the air compressor line. Sucks when it spits water into your paint with out it!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yes the prep work is vital to a good paint job. Make sure you get the right color primer. It can save alot of paint time by not needing as many coats. Make sure you get the bondo that flexes. If not much is needed you can get it in a tube that has 2 sides to it. You push down both sides at the same time and the amount you need to mix up is done for you. As far as sanding the parts that are not damaged. You dont need to do heavy sanding. Just rough it up.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Re: Re: Paint!

ddreg said:
If you get damaged, I would suggest leathers to prevent the damage. Also I don't know how long paint is going to stick to you... For that, maybe tattoos?

Good luck!
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I had to go back up and read it again.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Vash said:
I'm abit trigger happy..
I thought all russians where that way?!?!

For easy prep get a sand blaster or take it somewhere to be blasted or dipped. Be carefull on the plastic if you do it yourself, use a real fine grit. If your down to bare plastic and metal it's alot easier. I would use fiberglass on the plastic too. bondo's not know for it's bendability when set. If your plastic is cracked make sure to reinforce the backside of the crack, don't just glue the pieces together. Hard lesson learned on that one. My roomate is a body and paint expert so if you have any questions I will ask him and let you know...

-M-

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well here is where I'm at.
I cant use the compressor I was thinking about borrowing. Which leaves me with a. Renting one (I have no idea if thats feasable) 2. Buying one (I'm not sure what kind of requirments it needs to have, and wether or not I will have to spend a whole lot of money on one). 3. Getting a tank of compressed air and recharging it (Not sure how long its going to take to run out a tank). 4. Sand it myself and let the body shop paint it.
Most of the broken plastic is getting replaced. One piece is plastic welded together, and seems to hold thru much abuse, so I'm going to say its good. The only thing is that the plastic weld warped the surface a tad, so I need to clean that up before painting. I was thinking about using bondo for that.
Other pieces are either just scratched, or have very small crasks that are less than 1/2" long. On the scratched pieces do I need to add bondo to bring it back into shape, or just sand and live with them being a tad thinner?
Tank has two dents. One side is dented in a way that looks like it could be taken care of paintlessly. No creases, just a slight indentation. If I can get to the back of it by removing the fuel pump, I'm going to try to pop it out. The other dent is 2" long by 1" wide, but it scraped against pavement, Leaving gashes in the metal. However it did not indent much, So I thought about sanding the rust off, and putting bando, sand, repaint.
Still looking for a new headlight, The lense is cracked in between the lights, and you cant tell unless you look for it. But one of the mounting tabs is broken off, and the plastic has too low of a melting point to weld it together. Plus the mounting tab carries too much weght, thus epoxy attempts broke right off after a few wheelies.

·
Registered
746 Posts
A decent compressor for painting will run you at least $500. Using air tanks won't work because the air pressure isn't constant. With all the prep work done paint shop will vary, just one color shouldn't be to bad. Then you can put on vinyls yourself or something. Look at it this way, if you buy the compressor, you already have a gun, then your set up to paint, or spend compressor money on a one time paint shop visit. I would just get the compressor. Practice on your stuff then after you get good you have a nice side job for some extra cash.

-M-

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the compressor problem is solved. My best friend got a really nice gun (much nicer than the one I was thinking about using) and his dad got a bad ass compressor. We cant borrow it, but we can use it, so long as it doesnt leave his shop. Good enough for me.
Now I just gotta sand everything. The biggers problem are with the pieces that got road rash on them. ZX10's fairings are full of sharp edges, and of course the get dulled by the road rash. So I'm thinking about going after them with pretty coarse paper, and taking all the paint off and then use fine sand paper to smooth over the plastic.

·
Registered
40 Posts
you also have to realize that there are different types of body filler, too. The crap you buy off the shelf at Home Depot wont cut it. I'd go with a flexible "glaze" body filler for the plastic if it's scratched up pretty bad..... and then on any flexible part, you have to spray adhesion promoter. The prep is 95% if the end result! The gun requires a certain amount of cfm's in order to atomize the paint, and keep in mind that you'll need different tip sizes and pressure settings for primer, bases, and especially the clear. The bases have to be top coated or cleared within a certain amount of time- the clears have to dry at a certain rate and have to be sprayed at a certain thickness, and flashed at a certain time before the second coat and have the right amount of hardener in them to allow them to work correctly, and then you have to deal with trash and orange peel... so the particulars go on and on...
just research and then research some more.... even the smallest job can be a bitch! Trust me. I've done it!

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bradass said:
you also have to realize that there are different types of body filler, too. The crap you buy off the shelf at Home Depot wont cut it. I'd go with a flexible "glaze" body filler for the plastic if it's scratched up pretty bad..... and then on any flexible part, you have to spray adhesion promoter. The prep is 95% if the end result! The gun requires a certain amount of cfm's in order to atomize the paint, and keep in mind that you'll need different tip sizes and pressure settings for primer, bases, and especially the clear. The bases have to be top coated or cleared within a certain amount of time- the clears have to dry at a certain rate and have to be sprayed at a certain thickness, and flashed at a certain time before the second coat and have the right amount of hardener in them to allow them to work correctly, and then you have to deal with trash and orange peel... so the particulars go on and on...
just research and then research some more.... even the smallest job can be a bitch! Trust me. I've done it!
Reading that post makes me think I should let the shop do it... Unless someone knows of a good step by step.

Esanders: Yep. I discovered trackdays. First time out I crashed twice. Broke just about everything that orange. Now everytime I come back from another trackday my friends call me and ask "Did you crash?"

·
Registered
24 Posts
Please paint it Yourself!

I Love listening to People talk about how easy it is to paint their own stuff, I especially Love it when someone paints their shit and they ruin it, but yet they think it is the coolest thing they have ever seen. Is this the same Vash that was knocking Me in another forum about coming up with something unique? Well gues what, now You are in My house vash, I paint for a living and I cant wait for all the paint gremlins to get their hands on You. You have no idea what You are getting Yourself into to create a show quality paint job, You will soon find out why I can charge $3,000. and up for a sport bike and get it all day long. I can tell You the outcome of Your paint job before You turn Your first nut. You will end up with a Maco special and all the questions in all the forums cant prevent that because You will always lack the experiance to do it right. I have already watched You and a few others in this tread begin to make some serious rookie mistakes that will come back to bite you before the job is over and within one Year I guarantee it will peel.
Good luck.:twofinger

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Holy Angry Revange issues batman. Taking the forum comments alittle seriously are we? That alittle too much anger over hearing that the rider is more impressive than the bike. Seek therapy. :D

No seriously. I'll put down $50 that says the paint does not peel off unless its the result of another crash.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Re: Please paint it Yourself!

NitroD said:
I Love listening to People talk about how easy it is to paint their own stuff, I especially Love it when someone paints their shit and they ruin it, but yet they think it is the coolest thing they have ever seen. Is this the same Vash that was knocking Me in another forum about coming up with something unique? Well gues what, now You are in My house vash, I paint for a living and I cant wait for all the paint gremlins to get their hands on You. You have no idea what You are getting Yourself into to create a show quality paint job, You will soon find out why I can charge $3,000. and up for a sport bike and get it all day long. I can tell You the outcome of Your paint job before You turn Your first nut. You will end up with a Maco special and all the questions in all the forums cant prevent that because You will always lack the experiance to do it right. I have already watched You and a few others in this tread begin to make some serious rookie mistakes that will come back to bite you before the job is over and within one Year I guarantee it will peel.
Good luck.:twofinger
Careful Vash...he's a pro!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts