Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gotten my hands on a rashed windscreen from a Buell M2 and I'd like to take the paint off of it, then re-paint.

Does anyone know a good product to use on it to strip the paint without damaging the plastic underneath?

Thanks!
Kevin

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The majority of the rash is just scratches in the paint, not throught to the underlying plastic. Easy. Sand and paint. However, where the shield flexed some of the paint and primer chipped off, and I don't think it would be easy to get a smooth surface. I figured if I could get down to the smooth, base plastic I'd have a better chance at getting a good finish.

K

J

·
0 Posts
Dura-tech high build primer w/ a plastic adhesivce or dupli-color high buld... I have used both in making composite tools..

·
Registered
246 Posts
they sell paint remover made for bumpers (urethane) that wont eat to it much. It didnt work as great as the one made for matal, but it will def. make the paint blister after a while.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jackdrinker said:
Dura-tech high build primer w/ a plastic adhesivce or dupli-color high buld... I have used both in making composite tools..
Are you saying use a high build primer to build up the hole left by the chipped paint, then sand and paint? Sounds like that might be my best option.

K

J

·
0 Posts
yes, use good primer. I'm not sure if you have spray equipment but duratech is the best.... or, you could fill the area with short stand filled putty.. like evercoat, then prime. put it on in layers using something like creditcard... it's better than bondo as it adds strength..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts