Sportbike World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sanding my fairings down to get them ready to be painted. How far should I sand them down? Should I just go through the clearcoat and the first layer or two of paint or take it all the way down to the black plastic underneath? I'm planning on doing a layer or two of primer to balance out my high and low spots so I'm not to worried about oversanding, but I dont want to work harder than I need to:D

Thanks,
Sepias

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Just go thru the clear. Start with 220 then 400 then 600.

·
Registered
8 Posts
SANDING

ACTUALLY..

unless you plan on priming those pieces, or at lease sealing them, try NOT to bust through the clear. all you really want to do is clean and scuff the surface until it is no longer shiney. the clear is still on there and will serve as a barrier between the paint thats under it and the new paint goin on top. if you bust through the clear you run the rist of the solvents in the new paint reacting to the paint under the clear. if you have a factory finish and just want to repaint..you a grey scotch brite pad and water. if its primer then use 400 grit wet. you can progess up to 600 if you have a heavy hand but no higher than that. hope this helps

Paintguy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts