Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the law on lane splitting? I have heard several sides to this story, just want to know for sure... Thanks

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
California is the only place I've heard of it being legal. In addition to that, the law there depends greatly on the officers present. If the traffic is at a standstill obviously it's fine, but even if it's moving at upwards of 40-50 mhp you'll see people splitting. I used to follow a CHP on my way to work in the mornings out there. I'd just tuck in behind him as everyone got out of his way when he was coming. We would go everywhere from 10-15 mph all the way up to about 60 or so sometimes. He never even looked at me as if he were going to pull me over. When we took our spearate exits we always waved. Come to think of it, I don't think I ever heard of or saw a bike getting pulled over for splitting out there....

As far as your state, just call the police department and ask. Or ask a cop when you see them out and about.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
PA Motorcycle Driver's Manual (go to pg. 15):

http://www.dot4.state.pa.us/pdotforms/pa_forms_manuals/pub147.pdf

Of interest though is the fact that it doesn't say it's illegal, just that it is "usually prohibited." :dunno: So does that mean there are times that it is ok?

Take a peek at the California section on Lane Sharing (pg 20):

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl655/dl665mcycle2003.pdf

Very similar wording between the two, but the Cali one specifically says that "Sharing lanes is not illegal in California." It then goes on to say that cars should not share lanes with MC's and MC's should not share lanes with cars....:huh:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I find it funny that the California handbook has Ape hangers definition in it. :laughing:

I didn't know they were illegal in California, the chopper capital of the United States, but then again so is everything else you put on your bike.:rolleyes:

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
blazeword said:
I find it funny that the California handbook has Ape hangers definition in it. :laughing:

I didn't know they were illegal in California, the chopper capital of the United States, but then again so is everything else you put on your bike.:rolleyes:
A good rule of thumb for California (and not just for bikes): If it can in any way be viewed as fun or enjoyable, it's probably illegal. :thumb:

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
spicersh said:
A good rule of thumb for California (and not just for bikes): If it can in any way be viewed as fun or enjoyable, it's probably illegal. :thumb:
Oh yeah, with the exception of their "medical" marijuana....that's ok. :laughing:

·
Registered
227 Posts
i prefer spliting when there both going the same way but if I have two I wil split when 1 is coming towards me. Keeps you young espically when you do it on a turn,:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts