Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:barf: Lowsided the bike today out in the backwoods of southern maryland. Was a nicely paved road, and there was a fairly tight left hander. Mid turn I hit some sand on the road and slid out. I hopped off the bike and rolled into the woods.

...the bike didn't fare so well. I didn't see any of it, but by the damage, the front wheel must have cought a tree, and swung the bike around so the assend was in the direction of travel and the wheels were facing the road (it was on it's left side)

I made it home... and surveyed the damage.

Bent the forks back and smashed the radiator, lost alot of fluid. :crying:

put a kink in #2 pipe.

lost the left front blinker.

snapped the left upper headlight mount... it snapped the connection point off the upper, not the headlight. (should be able to fix)

lost the coolant resevoir cap

dirtied up the whole thing.

:crying: :crying:

Now onto the damage done to me....

well.... as of wring this my right lower leg hurts like a biyatch, no cuts or scraping, just one hell of a bruise (i think) :barf:
My ego took one hell of a blow... first time I've experienced a crash into the woods..... think I prefer pavement. Pavment you smack then slide.... this wooded area was *smack smack smack smack smack* *stand up*

Nothing like seeing your bike entangled in trees to ruin your weekend.

:barf: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :crying:

By the way..... I'm looking for a set of forks and a radiator for a 2000-2002 ZX6R. If anyone has a set for a good deal, please have pity on me and sell em to me.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No full coverage, had to transfer insurance to MD cause I was gonna be here more than half the year this year, and they wanted double what I was paying for FL, so I dropped comprehensive to keep the cost down :crying:

I'll have her back together in a couple weeks, hopefully.:(

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And I just took a second look.... the radiator is trash. The forks can be straightened, less than 10 degrees of bend. gonna have to plastic weld my headlight assembly, and a few spots on the left fairing. The inner fairing snapped in two, and will need to be replaced, no biggie... $40

I rode it back home the 20 miles, so the tranny and wheels are good.

The #2 pipe isn't very bad, small ding, it is good.

there's a small indentation in the tank :mad:

the upper fairing survived with only light scratches, most didn't even eat thru the base coat of the paint. Just that broken mounting tab for the headlight... will be plastic welding.

But damnit.... right before a couple big weekends I get taken out by something crappy like this.

good news.... no broken bones. My right ride of my right leg's calf is bruised really bad... enough to give me a limp. The bottom of my left calf is slightly bruised. Props to the sweat shop workers for Joe rocket... my right shoulder would have been messed up pretty bad if it weren't for the blaster jacket I was wearing. The jacket held up, no tears, and no injurty to my upper body. My gloves held up well too, with only light shredding of the kevlar/carbon fiber weaves over the knuckles. :)

I will heal... but my bike is in major pain. I'm suprised I made it home.... I lost just about all my coolant.

Right now I'm estimating a grand worth of parts and repairs.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Bummer to hear about your crash. I was hoping to meet and see you and your bike next week. You could drive you other vehicle to Ephrata if you really want to! Heal up and get the repairs done to the bike so you can get back out there soon.

·
Registered
192 Posts
limegreen6R said:
Right now I'm estimating a grand worth of parts and repairs.
Probably saved that much on insurance when you dropped comprehensive.

Coulda' been worse, but at least you get to spend more quality time with the kaw :D

At least you fared well. Like they say, any landing you can walk away from...

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
actually, I saved more.... not to mention how much I save not having rates go up.... :rolleyes:

I may have to drive up to ephrata.... at least to get some pics.

I took a 3rd, detailed look, and it's about $900 of parts, and a few hours of my time.

Might get new tires while I have it apart again. Stickier is better.

·
Registered
178 Posts
that sucked Green!
Well atleast your ok!
Was anyone w/ u? How did you get it out of the woods>?
Sand and Gravel suck:finger:
Glad to hear you are ok
good luck an the repairs and see ya on road soon Bro
Nick

·
Registered
255 Posts
Glad you are ok ! At least your bike didn't get damaged too bad, you can fix that thing as good as new again. How much were you leaned over in that turn? How fast were you going?
Get your bike all fixed up so you can go riding again !

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wasn't leaned all that far, and I was going about 30 MPH when it slid out.

My right knee looks like it may have gotten damaged... giving me a lot of pain when I straighten it out.

Nobody was with me :(
I was on my way home so I could rejet the bike while it was still light out. :crying:

It was VERY hard to lift the bike back up, the left handlebar was buried. Picking the bike up wasn't as bad as pushing it back up onto the roadway :barf:

damn sand :finger:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
limegreen6R said:
..... think I prefer pavement. Pavment you smack then slide.... this wooded area was *smack smack smack smack smack* *stand up*

:D :D :D :D

Glad to see you're bouncing back. Laugh it off, learn, ride off.

Best wishes for your's and your bikes recoveries. Keep us up on your parts search, hope you can find some deals.

As for insurance. Saved 2800 so far by going liability only, payed out 1400 in damages for the one biggun.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Recovery is going well on my part. MRI on tuesday to see how bad the knee is.

No constant pain anymore, only soreness. Hopefully the MRI will only turn up trauma or insignificant damage. Glad I didn't hit any big trees on my woodland excursion.

Found a set of "like new" forks on ebay... contacting that salvage yard to see if they also have a radiator.... one would think that if the forks are ok, so would the radiator be.

Even know I only need new tubes, if I can get the entire forks, axle, triple, and bearing assembly for same or less cost as new tubes, why not.

Ebay is great, isn't it? :D

on that note.... how would someone reccommend holding the bike up with the triple clamp removed? :confused:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Well you made it through which is most important.

Dang it, but I keep on trying to get it across to you new riders that one cannot ride a sportbike like we did in the days of British irons. Those were the days of rugged bikes that could be used on the road or off the road --------- but no you simply will not listen. LOL

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Sorry to hear about your fall limegreen6R :(
But at least you aren't badly heart and the bike is also fixable.
I hope you can get back on your bike soon.
Good think you found some decent forks on ebay, repaired forks are never a good choice on a sportbike. 10 deg is quite a lot really.
Aris

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awwwww CRAP!

I dismantled the bike yesterday to start putting new parts on. The Forks are straight, but the front wheel in farther back then shoulc be, so either the triple clamp is bent, the frame is bent, or both :barf: :crying:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well... I'm gonna give GMD Computrack a call tomorrow to see how soon they will be able to take a look at it.

the forks *appear* straight, but after taking the smahed to hell radiator off... I can see there's no way I could fit the new one in. The frame looks a little funky from the top, but that could just be me having not had the bodywork off for a while. I'll post as soon as I know how much the damage the damage is gonna do to my wallet to straighten. (read again if you have to ;))

As far as me, got some permanant nerve damage in my shin just below my shin. I have no feeling in the skin in the area... it's freaky, it's like I'm touching someone else's leg, but I can feel the skin flexing on the rest of my leg.... just freaky. No biggie... not like I use my shin as a feeler ever. :rolleyes: Other than that I'm back to normal... I'm supposed to be staying off my knee to help prevent further injury, but I don't feel pain and my leg feels very solid. I'm betting it was the generic doctor "stay off it for 6 weeks" liability lawer-mandated stuff.

By the way.... if anyone wants a radiator and fan for a J model ZX6R that are smashed up and are inoperable... let me know I'll be happy to send it for shipping cost.

·
Registered
178 Posts
limegreen6R said:

By the way.... if anyone wants a radiator and fan for a J model ZX6R that are smashed up and are inoperable... let me know I'll be happy to send it for shipping cost.
Should be an Aluminum radiator correct...u might be able to get a couple of bucks for that thing:p .....i dunno oh well..just a thought!
Oh yeah guess since u dont have any feeling in your shin it wolnt matter if u run into the coffee table anymore!lol:D :D :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts