Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was about 100 degrees outside yesterday and I was driving my bike for about an hour. I wasn't driving it that hard I dont think, I got it up to about 13 grand twice. Anyway I parked my bike and went into the bank and when i came back about 12 oz of antifreeze had spilled out. From where it spilt it looked like it came from the overflow hoses, but im not too sure. Any ideas what it could be?
Thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think that I wouldn't worry about it too much. Modern sportbikes do run hot quite easily, my 929 can reach 215 with no problem if I'm driving in town and sitting at lights and such, even if I keep the revs down. As far as I know, bikes aren't able to turn the fan on to cool the engine if the key is turned off (unlike cars, which sometimes turn the electric fan on a little bit after you get out if it's really hot out), so I presume that it was running hot while you were driving it, and when you stopped and it got no airflow at all, the temp went up some more and caused it to overflow. You could probably prevent this by sitting a minute with the key on (so the fan runs) but the engine off, just to give it a bit of time to cool down.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Cool down.

Yeah on my bike on hot days I let the fan kick on and then wait for it to shut of (so it's as cool as it's gonna get) and then turn the bike off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Overheating

Overheating is a problem on the F4i's, it's one of the "jeers" in Motorcyclist Magazine. The seat and engine heat.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
FrankieG said:
As far as I know, bikes aren't able to turn the fan on to cool the engine if the key is turned off (unlike cars, which sometimes turn the electric fan on a little bit after you get out if it's really hot out)
Kawasakis run the fan with or without the key on. HA! Kawasakis are good for something!!!

:twofinger :twofinger :twofinger

·
Registered
352 Posts
They'd have to run with the key out, 'cause nobody wants to get caught on one :twofinger :twofinger :twofinger

1 - 8 of 8 Posts