Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the kawaskai website if you read about the zx6r it talks about the bike haveing something called over rev. Now I am wondering what this is? Deos it mean you can go over the redline and do no damage, Or perhaps it's just what they call it when the redline is 16500 rpm?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Over rev means that the redline is past the peak power. For example, peak power can be at 14krpm, while redline is at 16krpm. This gives you 2krpm worth of over rev. You are better off shifting at just over 14krpm, but in some conditions thats not ideal, so you can keep on revving up, even tho the power output of the engine will actually decrease.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Vash said:
Over rev means that the redline is past the peak power. For example, peak power can be at 14krpm, while redline is at 16krpm. This gives you 2krpm worth of over rev. You are better off shifting at just over 14krpm, but in some conditions thats not ideal, so you can keep on revving up, even tho the power output of the engine will actually decrease.
Isn't this normal for all engines? Sounds like a marketing gimmick.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Over-rev and red-line and power curve seems like all the same thing to me-tomatoe/tamatoe. According to charts doesn't the power curve show a decrease around the time it hits the redline and isn't redlining any vehicle over-reving it? I'm with cookeetree on this.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
No, most powerband charts shows a nice curve like this:

As you can see, once this particular engine hits 8000ish, that's the max power, but then trails off. From the max value to the red line (of about 10.5k) is the over-rev, because it allows you to hold it in that gear a bit longer if needed to reduce unnecessary shifting.

·
Registered
139 Posts
where the curve peaks and at what rpm depends entirely on 1. the engine type 2. torque...bhp...ccs...etc.

"The Ninja ZX-6R’s impressive over-rev capability mimics a true race bike, allowing riders to stay on the gas where lower-revving machines are forced to shift."

I'm just guessing by what this says that they are implying that this machine has a high peak operating rpm.

:2cents:

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Cookie:
Most every engine has an over rev, but it doesnt mean that all over rev's are the same. I imagine kawasaki brochures where talking about the quality of the over rev of that engine, not its presence. Good over rev band will hold power steady, decreasing just a little bit, in a predictable way, as opposed to dropping right of.

In other words, its kind of like a power band. Every engine has one, but they are not all the same.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
JBaz said:
Unless you're dealing with battery powered vehicle like KillaCycle... That should be a straight linear line since tq is always constant in electric motors from the get go..
One day electric cycle are going to make the motogp bikes look slow. Boards will be flooded with newbs claiming they are mature enough to handle 700 hp with 300+ top ends and retro rocket turning boosters.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Vash said:
One day electric cycle are going to make the motogp bikes look slow. Boards will be flooded with newbs claiming they are mature enough to handle 700 hp with 300+ top ends and retro rocket turning boosters.
And Senior message board members will recommend to newcomers starting off with low powered bikes, like mid-2000 vintage 1000's....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts