Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My folks recently returned home from a trip that took them around half of Australia. I thought I'd post a few of their pic's for those who might be interested in seeing what's out there...

1. Magnetic White Ant Mounds - Litchfield, Northern Territory. Magnetic termites build their tombstone-shaped mounds in perfect north-south alignment, angled to create constant heat on their eastern faces.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2. Cathedral termite mound. The veritable castle of termite construction. Made from saliva and excrement, cathedral mounds can be up to six metres tall. As a relative comparison, the same human structure (hopefully made of materials other than saliva and excrement) would be over one kilometre high, more than twice the height of the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur.

That's my mum in the pic. She's about 5'4".

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3. Wangi Falls - Litchfiel, Northern Territory. You can swim here between May to October and watch the thundering waterfalls during the monsoon period (summer).

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
5. Adelaide River pub - Northern Territory. Famous for it's Barramundi and chips lunch...... and its Water Buffalo trophy.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
14. Devil's Marbles - NT. The Devil's Marbles are 4 metres (13ft)high and 13 to 33 metres (43-108ft)wide. The Devil's Marbles are massive granite boulders that have been formed over millions of years. The Aborigines' theory is that the Devil's Marbles are Rainbow Serpent eggs.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Very cool, makes me want to come visit more! :thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts